IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

the new ride.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 11:17 PM
bsteez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking the new ride.

So I recently just bought an 07 IS350 Luxery Package, I absolutely love the car, its a WAY big difference than what I used to drive though thats for sure (Big turbo SRT4, then to Twin Turbo'd 350z) big change but getting married had to give up the fast race car life haha. Anyways im pretty new to this car but ive been searching alot and learned a few things. Anyways I did have some questions, if you all could help me out.

1. Headlight Issue-One of my headlights will randomly turn off (middle of driving or whatever) doesnt happen to just one side, it does it on both headlights and when I turn them off and back on it comes back on, for how long it just depends? Any ideas? I did some searching and people have had problems with the bulbs (I planned on ordering new 6000k bulbs anyways and fog conversion kit) so we'll see if that works if not maybe ballast? bad ground?

2. Engine Rattle-Sometimes when the car has been on or driving for a really long time theres this strange rattle coming from the engine and outside of the car its like really loud? I dont think my vin was part of the recalls but who really knows any idea on that? or what to check first?

3. Some of the things I would really like to get first are GFX front lip and Side skirts. I found these on sewellparts.com is that the best/cheapest place to get them? Also i saw some "jdm" rear bumper skirts that i thought looked good anyone have these? Also lowering springs any threads on pictures of different drops?

4. I want the oem spoiler and sewell has that as well but ebay also has quite a few. Ive done some searching and alot of people have been very pleased with the ebay spoilers. I have never bought anything off ebay for my car before in my life, but with reading alot of people have had great luck, anyone know of any sellers specifically that make a good oem spoiler? and pictures of the ebay spoiler. I also want the roof spoiler and I can only seem to find that on ebay if not there like 500 bucks. Again if you have a ebay roof spoiler, good seller names/pictures.

5. Last but probably not least. I have chrome trim going around my windows, is there anyway to take that off so I can paint it black? Same goes for my grill. Also does anyone know that color of blue the isF brake calipers are?

Anways sorry thats alot but just wanted to get it all out, it rained here so I need to wash the car on my next day off work and then I will def post up some pics. thanks for anyone that can help I really appriciate it! And if i have any more question ill surely search before post.
Old 09-21-10, 11:53 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, congrats on the IS! You have a lot of questions here, and they can all be answered with search. Better to continue an old thread than start anew. Good luck.
Old 09-22-10, 06:20 AM
supra06
Driver School Candidate

1. possibility of a new HID bulb. D4S. Same thing happen to me when I bought my 2007 350 w/ Luxury pkg.
Old 09-22-10, 06:56 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=bsteez;5807032]So I recently just bought an 07 IS350 Luxery Package, I absolutely love the car, its a WAY big difference than what I used to drive though thats for sure (Big turbo SRT4, then to Twin Turbo'd 350z) big change but getting married had to give up the fast race car life haha. Anyways im pretty new to this car but ive been searching alot and learned a few things. Anyways I did have some questions, if you all could help me out.

1. Headlight Issue-One of my headlights will randomly turn off (middle of driving or whatever) doesnt happen to just one side, it does it on both headlights and when I turn them off and back on it comes back on, for how long it just depends? Any ideas? I did some searching and people have had problems with the bulbs (I planned on ordering new 6000k bulbs anyways and fog conversion kit) so we'll see if that works if not maybe ballast? bad ground?

2. Engine Rattle-Sometimes when the car has been on or driving for a really long time theres this strange rattle coming from the engine and outside of the car its like really loud? I dont think my vin was part of the recalls but who really knows any idea on that? or what to check first?

[QUOTE]

As far as the lights go, assuming that they are OEM, Hopefully you still have a bit of time on the warranty, or got the car CPO. Let the dealer handle it.

The engine noise/"rattle" is probably the direct fuel injection and can be heard as a rapid "pinging" type sound.
Old 09-22-10, 07:02 AM
supra06
Driver School Candidate

I hate that pinging sound. Anyway to get rid of it?
Old 09-22-10, 07:07 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by supra06
I hate that pinging sound. Anyway to get rid of it?
I guess you can have the engine removed.
Old 09-22-10, 07:41 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

2. there is a TSIB that will take care of the engine rattle. If you take it to the dealer, they should be able to take care of it for you.

3. you can also compare prices at lexus of westminister. they also have pretty competitive prices on the gfx kits. They are also on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Groun...Q5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Groun...Q5fAccessories

4. get the OEM trunk spoiler from a dealership. dont risk with ebay on that because there might be fitment issues. as far as roof spoilers go, there has been lots of people that are happy with the ones from ebay.

5. you can paint or wrap the chrome trim around the windows and grill. the isF caliper color is black. sinc eu mentioned blue, maybe u are talking about the f-sport ones. i think its more of a ultrasonic blue.

congrats on your new ride and I am sure you will have lots more questions to come. CL has a lot of info on modding / troubleshooting for our cars. I recommend performing a simple search and I am sure you will get most of your questions answered.

In any event, welcome to CL and happy modding =)
Old 09-22-10, 07:51 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by funnie
2. there is a TSIB that will take care of the engine rattle. If you take it to the dealer, they should be able to take care of it for you.
The TSIB is to resolve a rattle noise on start up

Not a noise the car makes while the engine is running (which is usually described as a ticking, from the direct injectors, and is the same noise all direct injection engines, gasoline or diesel, have made for decades and decades)
Old 09-22-10, 09:05 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

First off welcome to CL!

5. The most common way to black out the chrome window trim is to use black tape (like shadowline for BMW), to do it. I think I read somewhere that it is really hard to take off the chrome trim without breaking it, so painting it would not be the best option.

You can find out more about blacking it out by searching these keywords: chrome window trim
Old 09-22-10, 09:15 AM
1fast350
Driver

Hell there and welcome to CL. I have take my window trims off the have painted at a body shop and man were they hard. For the front doors jus pull back the rubber gasket and drill out all rivets. You will need to take the front inner door skins off the remove the side view mirrors to access the lower trim around bottom of windows. As for the rears you dont have to take the inner door panels off just pull back the rubber moulding and drill out all rivets. It was a bit of a task but check out my post "finally got pics to show" and you will see how mine looks. Good luck and happy modding.