IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A/C Mode Select not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 02:02 PM
dc5ryann
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Mode Select not working

I have a 2006 lexus is350. One day i tried switching the ac mode from front windshield defroster to regular ac to blow in my face. when i try selecting the mode of the ac it stays on front windshield.
No air whatsoever on either driver or passenger side.
I notice the front defrost button flashing a couple times and it sounds like a whole bunch of shifting and moving behind the dash for 30 sec or so.
Tried finding solutions but no luck,
Ac temp works will get hot or cold, Blower speed works fine as well, Recirculation is fine and the door for it is also not stuck, opens and closes fine with a new cabin air filter.
Even the rear seat vents are getting air out fine.
I've seen 1st gen is300's and older GS models change 1 servo motor on the passenger side by glove box to fix it completely but i am not sure if its the same process for 2is models.
Any help with solution and part number of what i may need would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-24, 05:49 AM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dc5ryann
I have a 2006 lexus is350. One day i tried switching the ac mode from front windshield defroster to regular ac to blow in my face. when i try selecting the mode of the ac it stays on front windshield.
No air whatsoever on either driver or passenger side.
I notice the front defrost button flashing a couple times and it sounds like a whole bunch of shifting and moving behind the dash for 30 sec or so.
Tried finding solutions but no luck,
Ac temp works will get hot or cold, Blower speed works fine as well, Recirculation is fine and the door for it is also not stuck, opens and closes fine with a new cabin air filter.
Even the rear seat vents are getting air out fine.
I've seen 1st gen is300's and older GS models change 1 servo motor on the passenger side by glove box to fix it completely but i am not sure if its the same process for 2is models.
Any help with solution and part number of what i may need would be greatly appreciated.

try spraying some deoxit can spray (the red color one) onto the fuse board underneath the steering wheel or front passenger glove compartment and reseat various fuses. Look at the diagram that’s pictured there and focus on reseating the ones relating to the AC.

contact cleaner also works
Old 05-11-24, 11:00 AM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts

It sounds like your blend door motor might be failing. It could also just be the linkage from the motor to the blend doors. That's what controls where the air blows in the car. The actuator itself could also be the culprit.

Old 05-19-24, 01:01 AM
dc5ryann
7th Gear

I will look tomorrow actually i havent had time to but i’ll see if thats my issue, if not I’ll go down the list as well. But thank you for the video i tried looking for similar stuff to my problem before making this thread and found nothing. First time ive seen that video surprisingly. Will make an update tomorrow.
Old 05-19-24, 02:04 PM
dc5ryann
7th Gear

Got everything torn down and had a closer look. Blend door is working and not detached like in the video that was sent. 063800-0171 4121 is the first servo motor to be seen which has a bigger looking gear like a half circle, when i change temp hot or cold it moves and appears operational (temp does change).
063800-0171 4132 is the servo behind and slightly above the first one, has a small arm that would move when selecting where i want the air to blow ONLY if temp was set to highest temp but wouldn’t change direction of airflow regardless of it moving as if it worked. However It did NOT move at all when set to lowest temp setting. Maybe thats the culprit? Im still not 100% sure myself even after looking myself. Any more help would be appreciated.