Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Extended Warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 10:45 PM
WashLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranties?

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2006 Lexus 400h with around 98000 and was wondering if you think getting a third party warranty (Warranty Solutions) was worth it for this car. I know that 3rd party warranties aren't the best but was wondering if I should get it for this car considering there have been some issues with the hybrid system. All in all it will set me back around $2300 for 3 years and 36000 additional miles. Any thoughts. Thanks for the info and I'm super excited about the car.
Old 10-28-12, 10:59 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my used RX400h about that long, and have spent $0 on repairs. I say put that $2300 aside in a savings account instead of a warranty. Chances are you won't need to spend it!
Old 10-29-12, 07:13 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2007 Rx400h, bought as a certified pre-owned vehicle June 2009. No repairs needed until earlier this month, when ip lit up p/s brake, abs, and flashed messages about checking hybrid system and stability system. Oh, yeah, brakes simultaneously went wonky, felt like power brakes with a failed booster.

Diagnosis was failed skid control ecu. Bottom line on the bill was $2210. That was about what we paid to add 3 more years to the 3-year cpo coverage, so at this point we're close to breaking even.

If you're shopping for a 3rd-party warranty, you might want to see what Costco offers. It's a "exclusion" policy, which means anything not listed as an exclusion is covered, and they offer a no-interest-charge deal of 10% down and 5% each month for the next 18 months.
Old 10-29-12, 10:17 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WashLexus
I just bought a 2006 Lexus 400h with around 98000 and was wondering if you think getting a third party warranty (Warranty Solutions) was worth it for this car
You can poll all you want but any question regarding extended warranties on any product boil down to personal preference so it's a call that each person has to make on his/her own. For any product out there you'll find those that don't find extended warranties worthwhile and those that do. I generally avoid third party warranties but that's just my personal preference. Without knowing the details and fine print of what you're specifically considering it's difficult to provide any feedback.
Old 11-02-12, 09:30 AM
Sicilian
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 2006 RX400H and the rear wheel bearings failed the AFS switch failed. I have 100K miles. If you do not have a warranty or a lot of money Lexus will have nothing to do with you. You are going to need to put aside much more than $2,300. I have contacted Lexus headquarters because in my life I have never had wheel bearings fail. Lexus headquarters continued to talk about the best warranty but once it is past Lexus acted as if they want nothing to do with me. I was even told that I really need not go back to another Lexus dealer. This is my first Lexus and my last I have never been so disappointed in a product that brags about the quality. It is just like their commercial says "a truly awful book with an amazing cover". I will probably go back to Acura or Infinity.
Old 11-03-12, 08:28 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sicilian
I just purchased a 2006 RX400H and the rear wheel bearings failed the AFS switch failed. I have 100K miles. If you do not have a warranty or a lot of money Lexus will have nothing to do with you. You are going to need to put aside much more than $2,300. I have contacted Lexus headquarters because in my life I have never had wheel bearings fail. Lexus headquarters continued to talk about the best warranty but once it is past Lexus acted as if they want nothing to do with me. I was even told that I really need not go back to another Lexus dealer. This is my first Lexus and my last I have never been so disappointed in a product that brags about the quality. It is just like their commercial says "a truly awful book with an amazing cover". I will probably go back to Acura or Infinity.
When you buy a product used, you have no control over how the car was treated prior to your purchase. Wheel bearings ain't what they used to be. I've seen them fail on 2005 and up Honda Odysseys and Passports as early as 60k miles. Good luck with Nissan electronics. Potential nightmare there. Try looking elsewhere to have your wheel bearing repair. They are very easy to do. An independent shop can fix it for as cheap as $400. Dealer labor rates are sky high.
Old 11-04-12, 06:26 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

agreed all manufacturors have their problems....wheel bearing at rockauto.com for around 140/////
Old 11-06-12, 04:00 AM
Sicilian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MeryLexmas
When you buy a product used, you have no control over how the car was treated prior to your purchase. Wheel bearings ain't what they used to be. I've seen them fail on 2005 and up Honda Odysseys and Passports as early as 60k miles. Good luck with Nissan electronics. Potential nightmare there. Try looking elsewhere to have your wheel bearing repair. They are very easy to do. An independent shop can fix it for as cheap as $400. Dealer labor rates are sky high.
This RX400H had been in the dealership on every scheduled date.