HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Question about headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 12:14 PM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about headlight replacement

I took my 2010 HS to the dealer today for the recall issue and while there I inquired about the cost to replace the headlight that is out. They quoted me $300. I checked online and the price of the bulb is $7.89. Am I looking at the wrong bulb or is Lexus over charging?
Old 03-11-13, 12:25 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Assuming you don't have LEDs, that price is laughable..... You could do it yourself in 10 minutes or less.... Run! Run!
Old 03-11-13, 01:15 PM
TonyHS
Driver

If you do have LED, everyone should run to that dealer, I believe they are a $2000 replacement. If not I'm not suprised, Toyota wants over 200 to replace the Prius bulb, (not HID) I dont see why Lexus would charge a little more.
Old 03-12-13, 08:25 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Way over priced !!! Say NO !!!

Unless it is your whole headlight assembly that failed. Then they might have to remove the whole front bumper to get to it.

If it's just your bulb, it might take you just a few seconds to change it out. The owners manual says its a h11 bulb and high beam is a 9005. On page 475 in my owners manual.
Old 03-13-13, 11:57 AM
PinkyB69
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all! My mechanic is changing it for $15
Old 11-23-13, 10:33 AM
miketwa1
Driver School Candidate

Why is everyone wanting to charge me $300??? They are saying they have to remove the bumper to just replace the bulb??? I have called Pep Boys and Lexus, I am waiting for Goodyear to call me back... I can see if they had to replace the whole headlight but its just the bulb. There is an engine cover which I have been trying to get off to get to the bulb but hell it wont come off... I am getting aggravated $300 for a $10.00 bulb!!!!
Old 11-24-13, 02:15 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Which bulb and which cover are you talking about?

If it's just a headlight bulb, that's real easy. But if it's the orange side marker lamp, that might be a different story because I think it's LED and might be expensive from the dealer.

You don't have to remove the bumper to relamp either the headlights or the fog lights. But you do have to remove the big black plastic cover just behind the radiator in the engine bay. That's easy too.

You just have to remove all the little plastic rivets that hold it down. To get those out without busting them, just use a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver and pry up on the CENTER part of the rivet, NOT the whole thing. One the center is up, the rivet loosens and will come right out.

Another way I seen it done is to just push down on the center of the rivet until it snaps down. Then it will loosen and the whole thing will pry up. To put it back in, just push up on the center pointy end of the rivet with your finger until the center is all the way up put the rivet in place, then push down until the center is flush.

images.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Question about headlight replacement-images.jpg  
Old 11-24-13, 06:15 PM
miketwa1
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

It is just the headlight bulb it self... Nothing else, thats why I dont get why I am being quoted such high prices, I could see if they had to replace the whole thing but its just the bulb! Thanks for getting back to me.... I will give this a try over the long weekend coming up...

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Which bulb and which cover are you talking about?

If it's just a headlight bulb, that's real easy. But if it's the orange side marker lamp, that might be a different story because I think it's LED and might be expensive from the dealer.

You don't have to remove the bumper to relamp either the headlights or the fog lights. But you do have to remove the big black plastic cover just behind the radiator in the engine bay. That's easy too.

You just have to remove all the little plastic rivets that hold it down. To get those out without busting them, just use a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver and pry up on the CENTER part of the rivet, NOT the whole thing. One the center is up, the rivet loosens and will come right out.

Another way I seen it done is to just push down on the center of the rivet until it snaps down. Then it will loosen and the whole thing will pry up. To put it back in, just push up on the center pointy end of the rivet with your finger until the center is all the way up put the rivet in place, then push down until the center is flush.

images.jpg
Old 11-24-15, 06:27 PM
jbripps
Rookie

Hi all - sorry to revive an old thread, but I just replaced a low beam bulb, and it SUCKS compared to the stock light. It's a Sylvania bulb, and wasn't "cheap". Any suggestions on what bulb to buy that will comparable to the stock bulb?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-15, 05:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Philips,
Amazon.com: Philips H11 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1): Automotive Amazon.com: Philips H11 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1): Automotive

Or do the H11 to H9 upgrade as discussed in another thread. It makes a huge difference!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...low-beams.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-25-15 at 05:11 AM.