GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 02:09 PM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake module replacement

Well it looks as if my trusty '06 GS430 has a bad brake module. I have all the telltale signs - brake light, Check VSC, CHECK ECB messages, and now the power assist is completely gone and the warning beep stays on constantly. The brakes feel like the '71 Chevy truck I learned to drive on. I've done the reset with the jumper wire between the OBDII terminals multiple times. At first it worked, then it came back faster and faster, and now it doesn't work at all. Also, when I first got the warning lights, I had the alternator checked which showed it was going bad. I replaced it and the alternator checks fine now - no effect on the warning lights.

I took it to a Toyota dealer and they read the codes - C1252, C1256, U0100, and U0122. They didn't charge me anything and told me it was beyond their expertise and that I should take it to Lexus.

I talked to a Lexus dealer today and they of course said they need to look at it. They said they see quite a few of these, so that's very likely the problem. A new module for the car is $2600 - not something I want to spend on a 13-year-old car with 165,000 miles on it. They also warned against putting a used module on it since "it never works." Although I know the dealers have the proper tools and procedures, they don't always have our bests interests at heart. I had an ES300 with a code that the dealer told me meant I had to replace the charcoal canister for about $700. I went home and found the vacuum hose that was loose and reconnected it. Never had another issue and the car was totaled later with the original canister still intact.

So here are my questions:

1) Has anyone here replaced a brake module themselves, especially with a used module? A used one from the web for $150 seems like a fair gamble vs. $2600 + labor.

2) Any other points to know when replacing the module?

3) Is there any truth to the "never works" comment? I can imagine they saw some that were replaced without following the proper procedure, and once the dealer learns it's a used module they're probably not even allowed to repair it, only replace it with a new one.

4) Any other ideas or advice? I really don't have the money to spend on this car right now, and I am a competent DIY'er.

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Old 07-02-19, 12:51 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Used one for $150? I would give that a shot, but I doubt it would be in good shape. If it came off a running that was wrecked, I would say go for it! But if its some random shmo off the net, I would avoid and look for others preferably in northern cooler climates as abs pumps in those areas last longer then hotter.

car-parts.com will help your search.

Try installing it yourself, buy a techstream ($25 bucks on ebay) and do a manual bleeding. Not sure if the new module needs to be registered or anything. But it will def need techstream to bleed it.
Old 07-02-19, 04:56 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Pretty sure you're looking on the wrong part for the used one. I've checked the used market and they go for 600-800 dollars. Their was an extended warranty that ended in 2018. Perhaps print that out and fight with the dealer saying its a big safety hazard and see if they will cover atleast the cost of the part. That's what I intend to do if mine goes bad.
Old 07-02-19, 02:31 PM
mkeeney
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Used one for $150? I would give that a shot, but I doubt it would be in good shape. If it came off a running that was wrecked, I would say go for it! But if its some random shmo off the net, I would avoid and look for others preferably in northern cooler climates as abs pumps in those areas last longer then hotter.

car-parts.com will help your search.

Try installing it yourself, buy a techstream ($25 bucks on ebay) and do a manual bleeding. Not sure if the new module needs to be registered or anything. But it will def need techstream to bleed it.
Interesting about the northern locations, I hadn't thought of that. The ones I've seriously considered have been in wrecked cars, mostly still in the vehicle.
I already have Techstream. I'll probably give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Pretty sure you're looking on the wrong part for the used one. I've checked the used market and they go for 600-800 dollars. Their was an extended warranty that ended in 2018. Perhaps print that out and fight with the dealer saying its a big safety hazard and see if they will cover atleast the cost of the part. That's what I intend to do if mine goes bad.
Well I was searching by the Lexus part number, so I think it's right. The prices run a very wide range. I've seen a number of mis-identified items on eBay; one was an AFS computer that was listed as the brake module. Good idea on arguing with the dealer though. Sometimes that works.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 07-05-19, 07:39 PM
Drifter292
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes had mine replaced on my '06 GS430 with 125,000. miles. Lexus wanted $2600, so took it to independent shop and they replaced for $900 with a lifetime warranty.. No issues for about 6 months now.
Old 07-05-19, 09:22 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifter292
Yes had mine replaced on my '06 GS430 with 125,000. miles. Lexus wanted $2600, so took it to independent shop and they replaced for $900 with a lifetime warranty.. No issues for about 6 months now.
Where did you get the replacement?
Old 07-06-19, 01:33 PM
Drifter292
Driver School Candidate

Not sure where repair shop bought it . I live in East TN
Old 07-06-19, 06:42 PM
Sadielou
Driver School Candidate

Our '09 GS 450H is at the Lexus dealer now. Three independent shops declined working on it. The out the door price just for the brake system is about $3900.00 which includes the brake bleed by the dealer. I feel I am quite qualified to physically replace the module but the bleeding procedure has me on the cautious side. Since the hybrid relies heavily on the regen to stop the car, there is quite a bit of interaction between the drive control, brake control, and regen computers. Frankly, the car would be unsafe to drive or sell as is and I could just feel the presence of a lawsuit breathing down my neck if I sold it as is, even with a full disclosure.

We are going to fix it, then sell it.

For sale, 09 GS 450H, 131,000 miles, very nice condition, everything works well (only the rear shade is stuck in the up position). PM me for details.
Old 07-06-19, 08:45 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifter292
Not sure where repair shop bought it . I live in East TN
Do you mind sharing the name of the shop? If this happens s in the future, I would love to call and get more details.
Old 07-12-19, 06:11 AM
Drifter292
Driver School Candidate

Just sent it to you
Old 07-14-19, 12:41 AM
CareAllend
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadielou
Our '09 GS 450H is at the Lexus dealer now. Three independent shops declined working on it. The out the door price just for the brake system is about $3900.00 which includes the brake bleed by the dealer. I feel I am quite qualified to physically replace the module but the bleeding procedure has me on the cautious side. Since the hybrid relies heavily on the regen to stop the car, there is quite a bit of interaction between the drive control, brake control, and regen computers. Frankly, the car would be unsafe to drive or sell as is and I could just feel the presence of a lawsuit breathing down my neck if I sold it as is, even with a full disclosure.

For sale, 09 GS 450H, 131,000 miles, very nice condition, everything works well (only the rear shade is stuck in the up position). PM me for details.
I had a similar issue on my 2015 NX300h (84K miles): the dealer replaced the complete brake system (ABS Antilock Brake Master Cylinder Pump with its embarked Electronic Brake Control Module) for $6500.00 : Labour & brake bleed is a lot of work, I agree, but the OEM parts are stupidly overpriced. As the total cost was about one third of my used car's market value, and 10% of a brand-new NX300h, I sold it and bought a new one.
Old 07-14-19, 06:44 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would have taken out the abs unit and sold the car AS-IS, so you dont have to worry about the Liability, or for that matter the 4k Dealer Lube Job
Old 07-14-19, 04:05 PM
Sadielou
Driver School Candidate

Uh, sorry, but the ABS system cannot be "taken out". Any tampering with a brake system as designed by the manufacturer makes you SOLELY liable for its results, and even more liable for any future owner.

For what its worth, we paid the repair and got the car back Saturday. Its back to normal and in excellent condition. Wife wants to keep it now, and may for another 100,000 miles.
Old 07-14-19, 07:04 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Uh, sorry, but the ABS system cannot be "taken out". Any tampering with a brake system as designed by the manufacturer makes you SOLELY liable for its results, and even more liable for any future owner.

For what its worth, we paid the repair and got the car back Saturday. Its back to normal and in excellent condition. Wife wants to keep it now, and may for another 100,000 miles.
really you might as well, if you just spent all that money on it and it is otherwise mechanically sound.