GS transmission problems? - Page 6 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS transmission problems?

Old 01-22-18, 09:26 PM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mhamadeh94 View Post
2007 Lexus Gs350 AWD 192k miles, shifts like new (knock on wood). Transmission fluid flushed along with internal filter replaced at 96k miles at local Lexus dealer. Planning on doing a drain and fill very soon along with the filter again. Burns a ton of engine oil though 😵.

how much did Lexus charge to replace the internal transmission filter?? I believe I've seen a DIY on here somewhere. I may tackle that myself on my next fluid change out.
Old 04-04-18, 03:41 PM
mikemcc122
Driver School Candidate

Default 01 GS430 with 226K miles

01 GS430 with 226K miles, shifts smooth. Several transmission fluid exchanges (drain and fill method) with the appropriate dealer T-IV fluid.
Old 04-22-18, 10:31 AM
Bambam40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yadadaHan View Post
i think my 06' gs300's tranny is going out. check vsc light came on and car won't shift pass 3rd. tried a transmission fluid flush and same problem came back within 30 miles. has anybody else had this problem? it only has 94,288 miles!
My GS300 (2006) has covered 141000 miles and has the same issue. Have had the trans oil changed but it hasn't helped. Wont go above 3rd gear and if you try to use the cruise it "hunts" up and down the rev range and cant hold the speed constant. Love the car but the cost of replacing or rebuilding the tranny (solenoid changes) are going to mean the death of an otherwise superb car.
Old 04-22-18, 11:58 AM
jacklex
Driver School Candidate

My dealer Lexus, said I needed to change my 450h transfluid which is lifetime in the CV transmission. I also use my (now became a friend) Toyota dealership for oilchanges and other maintenance issues on the Lexus' I've owned (and toyotas too) and the service writer said NOT to change it because it's lifetime. I've got about 146k on the 450h and it runs like new. what is the consensus on trans fluid changed in the CV trannys?
Old 05-03-18, 07:48 AM
olocks1
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2015 GS350 AWD Base Model, I have 54,000 miles on my car and the transmission is starting to act up, when driving at low speed from 20-40mph you get a stutter 3 times like you hit 3 speedbumps. after 40mph the car is fine, the shutter or stutter happens at low speeds and when accelerating smooth, if your aggressive on the gas pedal then you will never feel it. My car is at Lexus dealer for the 3rd time in a one month time span, when I google this issue I get Torque Converter failure.
Old 05-03-18, 08:37 AM
gs350fan
Driver

Originally Posted by olocks1 View Post
I have a 2015 GS350 AWD Base Model, I have 54,000 miles on my car and the transmission is starting to act up, when driving at low speed from 20-40mph you get a stutter 3 times like you hit 3 speedbumps. after 40mph the car is fine, the shutter or stutter happens at low speeds and when accelerating smooth, if your aggressive on the gas pedal then you will never feel it. My car is at Lexus dealer for the 3rd time in a one month time span, when I google this issue I get Torque Converter failure.
Not failure necessarily but the fluid is starting to lose its friction modifiers. 60K ish sounds right, depends on many factors. I would get a fluid service at this point. You may be under warranty as well. I described what happens in other posts, but these cars allow some slip when the torque converter locks up. Maybe 4-5 rpm, but not a total lockup. This also generates heat.The slipping has to be smooth (the friction modifiers in the fluid must work right) otherwise you get that slip and shudder. Similar also to a limited slip rear axle.

Was a very common problem with Fords, fixed with new fluid and sometimes a good cooler.

I believe from what I read these cars are undercooled for the trans. These identical transmissions are used on the big Toyota trucks and they have a special thermostatically controlled cooling system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS transmission problems?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: