GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 12:26 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My transmission just went out at 103K miles. Its a 2006 GS. Received assistance of around 2K from Lexus. They paid for 50% of tranny and dealer took off labor. Total cost for tranny $2500. Also, engine had to be rebuilt by Lexus ad 83K miles. Out of warranty but Lexus covered it under goodwill.

Last edited by nickeltime; 07-21-15 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 01:05 PM
AustnLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nickeltime -

Since I'm in the same situation (with a few more miles), I got to ask - how did you get Lexus to do that? I've called their corporate US headquarters and I'm just getting the run-around.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-15, 07:02 AM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AustnLexus
Nickeltime -

Since I'm in the same situation (with a few more miles), I got to ask - how did you get Lexus to do that? I've called their corporate US headquarters and I'm just getting the run-around.

Thanks.
We bought this can pre owned certified. Lexus had all books and records. They told me that since it was pre owned certified, they took this into consideration when they made us the offer
Old 07-27-15, 10:11 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm at 115k no problems. Lexus did my trans fluid replacement also @ 90k.

I also have a friend with a 06' 300 and he's at 175-180k mi right now. ZERO problems on his car. He's only done the recalls on it and hasn't had oil consumption problems at all either. Previous owner (his brother in law) has taken great care of the car and babies the gas pedal (so do I).

If it's any consolation (like one of the posters above). My car is a garage queen, It literally stays in the garage ALL week. I drive it 2, sometimes 3 days a week if I want to take her out.
Old 07-28-15, 06:14 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I'm at 115k no problems. Lexus did my trans fluid replacement also @ 90k.

I also have a friend with a 06' 300 and he's at 175-180k mi right now. ZERO problems on his car. He's only done the recalls on it and hasn't had oil consumption problems at all either.
Did he ever have the transmission fluid changed?
Old 07-28-15, 11:08 AM
peewhy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So dropped off the GS to Cerritos Lexus today for the fuel recall. My SA said its a 50/50 on the transmission flush to fix the issue. Been driving the GS more often after the transmission wouldn't past 3rd but i haven't had any problem since.... took off my exhaust and intake and the car seems to run smoother..... but asked for the transmission flush and it will cost me about $260 and $89 for the rear diff fluid.,. debating on doing this.....
Old 07-29-15, 02:00 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by LexusLive
Did he ever have the transmission fluid changed?
Yes he has, at 110k I believe is what his sister told me (his sister and her bf drive it now).
Old 07-29-15, 05:45 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes he has, at 110k I believe is what his sister told me (his sister and her bf drive it now).
A few questions Goku, do you know if the GS350 and GS300 have the same tranny? I never got a reply and since you;re a moderator i thought u might know... Before the tranny fluid change have you noticed any vibrations, or slipping when shifting gears? What is your daily?
Old 07-29-15, 06:02 PM
peewhy
Driver

So got my car back from the Fuel recall but my SA told me that P0761 Solenoid C and P2714 Pressure Control Solenoid. But advised to get a rebuilt tranny from Lexus for a long term fix. or a used one... But would hit the pocket about 5K.... has anyone else seen the P2714 code worth just getting the new solenoid or calling it a quits???
Old 07-29-15, 07:07 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by xbladex00
A few questions Goku, do you know if the GS350 and GS300 have the same tranny? I never got a reply and since you;re a moderator i thought u might know... Before the tranny fluid change have you noticed any vibrations, or slipping when shifting gears? What is your daily?
I'm pretty certain that since our transmissions are all 6-sp (GS300, GS350, & GS430) that we should have the same trans. As for vibrations and slipping when shifting gears, I noticed no such thing. I noticed the shifts were getting harder though, like I banged it into gear when I hit the throttle as soft as possible. After the fluid change the shifts were smoother a lot more. My GS is my daily. I just hitch rides wherever possible because I'm keeping this car for a long time and when I DO decide to get a new car it'll most likely be a newer GS (if I can hold out long enough, it'll be a used GS-F).

EDIT: I hope this PDF link answers your questions. I looked it up on google right after I posted this: http://www.automaticchoice.es/Catalo...e/aw_a760e.pdf

Originally Posted by peewhy
So got my car back from the Fuel recall but my SA told me that P0761 Solenoid C and P2714 Pressure Control Solenoid. But advised to get a rebuilt tranny from Lexus for a long term fix. or a used one... But would hit the pocket about 5K.... has anyone else seen the P2714 code worth just getting the new solenoid or calling it a quits???
I would say look for a transmission ECU first. I remember a little while back one of our members had transmission problem. Bought a used but good working trans and it still had the same problems. He replaced the ECU and it worked just fine. Spent a ton of money to fix a few hundred dollar issue.
Old 07-30-15, 05:46 PM
peewhy
Driver

I'm pretty certain that since our transmissions are all 6-sp (GS300, GS350, & GS430) that we should have the same trans. As for vibrations and slipping when shifting gears, I noticed no such thing. I noticed the shifts were getting harder though, like I banged it into gear when I hit the throttle as soft as possible. After the fluid change the shifts were smoother a lot more. My GS is my daily. I just hitch rides wherever possible because I'm keeping this car for a long time and when I DO decide to get a new car it'll most likely be a newer GS (if I can hold out long enough, it'll be a used GS-F).

EDIT: I hope this PDF link answers your questions. I looked it up on google right after I posted this: http://www.automaticchoice.es/Catalo...e/aw_a760e.pdf

I would say look for a transmission ECU first. I remember a little while back one of our members had transmission problem. Bought a used but good working trans and it still had the same problems. He replaced the ECU and it worked just fine. Spent a ton of money to fix a few hundred dollar issue.
I was thinking it could be the ECU cause last time when it wouldnt past 3rd i unhooked the battery and ever since then it was perfectly fine... Today drove her to work (got the gs back last night) and while driving this morning i felt the transmission acting up again from 2nd to 3rd stalling to go to 4th.. So switch to manual shift and it ran thru all gears fine but when in Drive it would lagg out...
.. get to the office and Check engine and VSC pops on... just my luck...
Old 08-01-15, 05:12 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=XxGoKoUxX;9131771]I'm pretty certain that since our transmissions are all 6-sp (GS300, GS350, & GS430) that we should have the same trans. As for vibrations and slipping when shifting gears, I noticed no such thing. I noticed the shifts were getting harder though, like I banged it into gear when I hit the throttle as soft as possible. After the fluid change the shifts were smoother a lot more. My GS is my daily. I just hitch rides wherever possible because I'm keeping this car for a long time and when I DO decide to get a new car it'll most likely be a newer GS (if I can hold out long enough, it'll be a used GS-F).

Hopefully I can flush it as soon as possible. I Think maybe you're right the shifts are just hard and i feel a bit of vibration around 20-30mph as if it wants to shift. The funny thing is is that when I put it on ETC PWR mode it doesn't do any of those and the shifts become less violent... but the throttle feels so much better... Maybe its the fact that I drive it in manual mode but I dont really rev it out
Old 09-02-15, 02:31 AM
TestyMac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have exactly the same transmission problem with my 2006 GS300 as peewhy. It will not go past 3rd - 130,000miles, no ATF change that I know of. Error codes P0761 and P2714. Works for a while after I disconnect the battery and shifts fine using manual changes. Haven't tried anything yet. Is it more than likely an ecu/wiring issue than a solenoid one since it works okay in manual mode and unlikely that both solenoids C and D are broken as the codes suggest?

Last edited by TestyMac; 09-02-15 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 06:23 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mattsranch
I have this issue, Error code P0761, only shifts from 1 to 3. So far I have removed transmission pan, cleaned & flushed, new filter, checked solenoid C to be ok. But issue still persists. 115K miles.
Anyone know the correction for this issue short of a new transmission?
Been seeing replacement of the ecu fixing some of the trans issues
Old 10-26-15, 01:24 AM
peewhy
Driver

Originally Posted by SILENTM
Been seeing replacement of the ecu fixing some of the trans issues
any chance you know the part number for a rwd ecu??

Quick Reply: GS transmission problems?