GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Difference between D and S Modes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 03:01 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between D and S Modes.

IS there a difference if I launch my car from a stop in D mode or in S Mode?? Are the rpms higher when in s-mode?? Also, IF from a stop I switch to S mode and move to gear 8 and launch, isnt that pretty much similar to D-mode?? I am a bit confused :P
Old 09-22-09, 03:18 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I think while launching the car in the S mode the gear box will hold the gear for a bit longer so the ram area might be higher. But again, I am not an expert in those things. Someone else?
Old 09-22-09, 03:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you are flooring the car, D and S (assume you put it in 8) won't make any difference, both cases it will just shift at redline from 1st to 2nd, etc...

say from a stop you put it to S and then keep it at 2. you floor it, it will redline 1st, shift into 2nd automatically, and then redline. but it won't shift to 3rd, it will just keep on bouncing at 2nd gear limter until you slow down or put it into 3. if put it to 3, then the car will shift into 3rd gear, and then continue to go up in rpm until redline (again, bounce on it).

but if now you slow down and come to a stop again, it will still say 3, but your car is actually back to 1st gear. if you now floor the car gain, it will go from 1st (redline) to 2nd (redline) and then to 3rd.

the number indicates the highest possible gear you can be in, but it doesn't mean the absolute gear you are in.

and in terms of rpm, S and D doesn't make difference, it just a way to set your gears. if you put the car in PWR mode, then it does change the shift point a bit. the car will tend to shift at a bit higher rpm than usual
Old 09-23-09, 01:10 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
if you are flooring the car, D and S (assume you put it in 8) won't make any difference, both cases it will just shift at redline from 1st to 2nd, etc...

say from a stop you put it to S and then keep it at 2. you floor it, it will redline 1st, shift into 2nd automatically, and then redline. but it won't shift to 3rd, it will just keep on bouncing at 2nd gear limter until you slow down or put it into 3. if put it to 3, then the car will shift into 3rd gear, and then continue to go up in rpm until redline (again, bounce on it).

but if now you slow down and come to a stop again, it will still say 3, but your car is actually back to 1st gear. if you now floor the car gain, it will go from 1st (redline) to 2nd (redline) and then to 3rd.

the number indicates the highest possible gear you can be in, but it doesn't mean the absolute gear you are in.

and in terms of rpm, S and D doesn't make difference, it just a way to set your gears. if you put the car in PWR mode, then it does change the shift point a bit. the car will tend to shift at a bit higher rpm than usual
!! You actually clarified many points I was confused about! Umm lets say I am driving at 100km/h and shift to S-Mode; gear 5 always shows up on my screen; does that mean that the car will shift to gear 5 or that I am actually at gear 5. This gets confusing at sometimes

Last edited by Rider; 09-23-09 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 07:44 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
I am driving at 100km/h and shift to S-Mode; gear 5 always shows up on my screen; does that mean that the car will shift to gear 5 or that I am actually at gear 5. This gets confusing at sometimes
The initial selection of the highest gear is 5 even if you're sitting still. I think it's essentially the same as "D" and "OD" on shifters that have those positions, i.e., "D" doesn't allow shifting into "OD."
Old 09-23-09, 07:56 AM
TWong350

Just remember, the number shown on the dash is the MAXIMUM gear the tranny will auto-shift to. It's in no way indicator of what gear you're currently in.
Old 09-23-09, 08:37 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Originally Posted by TWong1200
in no way indicator of what gear you're currently in.
Which would be nice--I got an IS as a loaner and noticed that it has a gear indicator.
Old 09-23-09, 10:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by drpepper
Which would be nice--I got an IS as a loaner and noticed that it has a gear indicator.
really? can't recall IS anymore. i thought just like the GS, it should S and then whatever gear you select. it also shows what gear you are in now?
Old 09-23-09, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Rider
!! You actually clarified many points I was confused about! Umm lets say I am driving at 100km/h and shift to S-Mode; gear 5 always shows up on my screen; does that mean that the car will shift to gear 5 or that I am actually at gear 5. This gets confusing at sometimes
you are not at gear 5, it shows that gear 5 is the highest it will go. so that means if you are already at 5, then it will just stay there and redline and bounce there. but if you are at slower speed and the car is actually in say, 3rd gear, it will go to 4th, then 5th, and stay there (unless you slow down to stop and it goes back to 1)
Old 09-23-09, 10:52 AM
drpepper
Instructor

really? can't recall IS anymore. i thought just like the GS, it should S and then whatever gear you select. it also shows what gear you are in now?
I don't have a completely clear recollection, but I think current gear was one of the choices for the upper display (top, between the gauges).

Somebody who has/had an IS can say where.
Old 09-23-09, 11:15 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by drpepper
I don't have a completely clear recollection, but I think current gear was one of the choices for the upper display (top, between the gauges).

Somebody who has/had an IS can say where.
it does... i know because i spent a week and two days with the IS250, it displays what gears you go through, the mpgs you're running, the total mpg's.. etc etc etc. a lot of functions a GS should but doesn't ahve

then again this is a "sportier" car than a gs =] it may have cool functions but we're always more baller hahaha
Old 09-23-09, 12:00 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

you are not at gear 5, it shows that gear 5 is the highest it will go. so that means if you are already at 5, then it will just stay there and redline and bounce there. but if you are at slower speed and the car is actually in say, 3rd gear, it will go to 4th, then 5th, and stay there (unless you slow down to stop and it goes back to 1)
OK, but the only way that ill know that it reached gear 5 is if it hits the rev limiter :/........ That is really lame....
Old 09-13-10, 02:52 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Resurrecting this old thread, because it occurred to me to ask a question after I looked at it.

It seems mine has ALWAYS shown gear 5 no matter what if I switch into S from D. Should it ever go into S showing 6 when just cruising on the highway? Does it always downshift to 5 when you plonk it into S even if you're cruising in 6th?

I'm pretty sure I've been able to manually notch it back up to 6 when I tried this, but I'm just confused about why it always shows 5. Does anybody else see any difference in the behavior? I'm just trying to make sure there isn't some kind of quirky transmission problem preventing D from going into 6th gear.

My understanding has always been that driving in S mode with the indicator displaying 6 results in exactly the same thing as driving in D mode, but I'm just a bit curious why it would bother downshifting to 5th (if that's the case) when it's already in 6th. I can see why it always starts off in "5" mode (I won't refer to them as gears) even if you're going slower or even stopped that makes sense just fine, it just doesn't really make sense why it wouldn't just start in 6 if you're in 6th gear in D.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 09-13-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it will always go down to 5. i think the idea is if you put to s, you are ready for some "real driving" so it downshifts to get ready.