GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Headlight issue thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 10:31 AM
burr1t0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Headlight issue thread

Hey guys I have a 06 GS3. I've noticed that my left headlight goes out sometimes when I drive. To fix it I would have to turn my lights off then turn it back on. Then everything is good again. Have anyone experience this problem?

I was thinking it was my HID foglight kit that I installed, but then this problem was happening even before I installed them. Seems like there might be low voltage on that side, but I haven't got a clue on how to fix this.

Any help will be much appreciated. I don't want to keep having to turn it off then back on to fix it. People will think I'm flashing them on the highway.. haha
Old 12-10-08, 10:36 AM
Heng350
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same problem still unresolved. mine is on the right side tho. been this way for monthes.....the lights goes out after like 1-3 mins of it being on. some1 told me to get relays to fix it but havent had the chance. btw mine r xenondepot bulbs...
Old 12-10-08, 10:45 AM
burr1t0
Driver School Candidate

I still have the factory bulbs in mine. Do you thinking changing out the relays would fix it?
Old 12-10-08, 10:48 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

probably a bad bulb, swap it left and right to see if the problem changes to the right

then report for further analysis
Old 12-10-08, 11:23 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the same problem as well, i just swapped out my stock bulbs and installed 6000K. The problem started when it got cold out, I wonder if that has anything to do with it or just bad timing. It is always the left HID and then when i turn the lights on and off, it stays on. ??
Old 12-10-08, 11:25 AM
burr1t0
Driver School Candidate

i'll try that but it won't be till this weekend. i'll pose my results afterwards
Old 12-10-08, 06:01 PM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was just searching because i had the same problem. but mine's a mobilehid kit.
what are suggestions for aftermarket kits?? would getting a new set of bulbs work? or can i just mess around with the wires?
Old 12-23-08, 12:50 AM
jackgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Heng350
i have the same problem still unresolved. mine is on the right side tho. been this way for monthes.....the lights goes out after like 1-3 mins of it being on. some1 told me to get relays to fix it but havent had the chance. btw mine r xenondepot bulbs...
Same here.. In Toronto Canada, the weather gets pretty cold.. And sometime people think I am blinking at them, when i had to turn the light on and off..

However, my right bulb (factory D4S HID) doesn't have a regular timing.. it sometime last the whole driving distance, sometime it does out in 10 minuts.. it's wired..

someone need to figure it out.. the head light is very expensive..

- By the way, I've just figure out how to aim the headlights.. thank you all here, your notes helps a lot.. the user manual did not show the location of the adjuster properly..

Last edited by jackgs; 12-23-08 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 05:49 AM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
probably a bad bulb, swap it left and right to see if the problem changes to the right

then report for further analysis
definitely a bad bulb
had this happen to me twice
you just have to be very careful installing the bulb
Old 12-23-08, 10:16 PM
jackgs
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by mkim1120
definitely a bad bulb
had this happen to me twice
you just have to be very careful installing the bulb
Just curious... would there be any other reason that is causing this problem..
If bulb is bad why would it turn back on when I switch the light on again.

I have heard it maybe the ballast ... what would a bad ballast cuase ?

A friend had a aftermarket installed on his Civic (non factory hid equiped) he had the same problem too.. sometime the right head lamp just goes off too. (and he only had the aftermarket installed for 3 month).

I am also thining of this is cause by the bulb been touched while installing ?

Any advise ....

Last edited by jackgs; 12-23-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 10:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PM member VikH. He was just at the dealer for the 2nd time for this and he is on OEM bulbs and hasnt changed anything. He said they replaced a bunch of stuff but not sure what specifically. Hope he can help out.
Old 12-23-08, 10:27 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch bulbs to the other side than you will know if it's the bulb or the ballast. Probably the bulb...HID bulbs will flick on and off when it's about to go out. Use clean gloves when installing these bulbs...a little of oil from your skin will cause these bulbs to go out quicker than you think. I'm a victim a couple of times in the past of touching the bulbs on my 2GS...good luck !!!
Old 01-02-09, 12:43 AM
pr0digy
Driver School Candidate

Good advice thomastan, I had this EXACT problem and after going to LEXUS OF WESTMINSTER SERVICE a few times about this I have concluded that the are completely incompetant! I would even say they are "shady" and dishonest.

I did what thomastan suggested and the problem hasnt come back yet So im still in the progress of dianosing the problem. What upsets me about Lexus of Westminster is that they do not rightfully diagnose the problem. Also I am positive they do not even look into the problem. They simply just pick out a part that is not covered by the warranty and blame it on that so you will have to pay for repairs. They claimed it was the headlight assembly and moisture had gotten in causing it to short. I opened up the headlight to switch them and no moisture whatsoever! Dry as sand. No fogging no water spots no moisture! Also my engine bay looked like it was untouched still really dusty even though they claimed to check it out. Also the headlights have spray wash on them! If it was really the problem dont you think that they shold cover it anyway? They wanted to charge me 1100 plus labor for it, and when i complained to 180025lexus they offered to pay 50% of the repairs. HAHA what a joke. Anyways once i truly find out the problem Im gonna call in and complain some more. Hopefully they start being honest and help a loyal customer out. ( third lexus bought from the same dealer)

Anyways Do what thomastan said, and thats the best way to start to diagnose the problem. Good luck and dont bring it to Lexus of westminster because they will just give you the run around and BS.
Old 01-02-09, 08:13 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I had the same problem on my IS350 on the driver side? do you have the AFS system on your car? I am begging to wonder if that has something to do with it and its killing our bulbs? I could be way out in left field here but I just wonder if that is what is causing this??

I havent had this issue in the GS yet.
Old 01-02-09, 11:40 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thomastan
Switch bulbs to the other side than you will know if it's the bulb or the ballast. Probably the bulb...HID bulbs will flick on and off when it's about to go out. Use clean gloves when installing these bulbs...a little of oil from your skin will cause these bulbs to go out quicker than you think. I'm a victim a couple of times in the past of touching the bulbs on my 2GS...good luck !!!

good tip

Quick Reply: Headlight issue thread