GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Headlight issue thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 02:56 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing had happened to me before, they replaced the bulb for me under warranty. Now is working fine, no more automatic shut off!!!
Old 09-12-09, 06:21 PM
LexFather

Good thread, I thought it was just me. I never had an issue with the light until I installed the yellow fogs and it would go out for some reason, I have to turn the lights off then on for it to work again. Its totally random sometimes its fine, sometimes I notice it going out. Will take it to the dealer.
Old 11-10-09, 08:55 AM
brfan
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlight going out?

Is HID headlight going out a warranty item? My wife swears that the driver's side headlight was out.. checked it myself and it seemed to be fine. Is that indication of another issue?
Old 11-10-09, 09:28 AM
STP
Rookie

Same issue I just ran into. I just ordered new bulbs from ebay, and replaced them myself.

Its not under warranty. But if you are handy, you can DIY.

My lights starting doing to on/off thing for a few weeks, before I got fed up and replaced both bulbs.
Old 11-10-09, 09:42 AM
minnister
Driver

This happened to me before and was pull-over by a cop saying that my light went out. I checked it and it was out, but turning it off and then on made it come back on and told the cop. For some BS reason, he said he has to give me a ticket and gave me a window tint ticket.

Anyways, this problem is intermittent and don't know the exact cause of it.
Old 11-10-09, 09:52 AM
LexFather

I'm looking for the thread....I believe there is a TSB out for this....
Old 11-10-09, 10:19 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It means U need new bulbs.

when it's first turn on it puts out more power to burn, but after abought 2mins it switch into normal mode which is less power and the gas can't continue to burn like it suppose to.... so need new bulbs.
Old 11-10-09, 10:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ignition time for a HID bulb is less than a second and warm up time after ignition does not require more power. Usually when a HID bulb is about to go, it will turned a blueish/purple color for a while and then started flickering, then stopped.
Old 11-10-09, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Okay everyone this seems to be an issue with multiple members so I merged the thread. I seriously doubt it is the bulb as it would not reignite. It seems one headlight goes out (not sure why) and they fix themselves if you turn the lights off then back on.

Below is the only solution I've seen in these threads.

Originally Posted by kyang91
I had the exact same problem as well........just take it to the dealer and they will take care of it for you. They told me it was the ECU that is operation that light that is making it do that......they can just order a new ECU for you for free......
Is there a TSB for this?
Old 11-10-09, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

looks like 99% of the people having this issue are people who messed with bulbs and hID kits. I guess I wil not be changing my bulbs. It seems like such an easy mod, but not if its going to bite you in the ***
Old 11-11-09, 06:04 AM
STP
Rookie

I was the one recently having this problem.
Start car with lights in auto, drive for 3 min. and passenger would go out. Then if you turn off and on, its fine. It still eventually goes out after a while of driving. For a few weeks, I kept driving and having to turn off and on. Hopefully no one thought I was flashing them.

I posted in another thread, and talks about a bad ballast came up.
I've since then replaced the bulbs which were stock OEM, with stock OEM bulbs. They seem fine for now, only been 3 days.

Few things I noticed.
When the lights were going bad: Passenger side would flicker, and you knew it was going out soon. On a a very few occasions the driver went out too.
The light color was also a tad purplish/pink, and definitely not as bright.

Since switching the new bulbs in, its definitely brighter and seems a white color.
Hopefully this is it with the problem.

Can anyone shed some light on the beam pattern? I've attached 2 photos.
First one is from driving position, and second is from center of dash.
I've seen patterns posted on here before with a gradual "staircase" with the driver side being the lower one. But I know I am still not getting enough light out onto the road. I live in an area where there are very little street lights, and I can't see very far because of the lights.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight issue thread-driver.jpg   Headlight issue thread-center.jpg  

Last edited by STP; 11-11-09 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 11-11-09, 06:51 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
looks like 99% of the people having this issue are people who messed with bulbs and hID kits. I guess I wil not be changing my bulbs. It seems like such an easy mod, but not if its going to bite you in the ***
I have no issues with the OEM bulbs, they are a fine colour and brightness for every day use.

Does anybody know how much Lexus charges you to swap out new bulbs?
Old 11-11-09, 08:38 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont know what the heck is going on here, for God's sake, there is a friggin ECU for the HIDs ????? alrighty then. I had this issue with my 4 year old D4s bulbs, ONE time, I came home at night and driver side was out. Turned off and on - never had issue again. This was OEM bulbs, I swapped them with new Philips bulbs and seems OK.
As for beam pattern, unless you are not level in the driveway, it seems the passanger side should be a bit higher.
Old 11-11-09, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I have no issues with the OEM bulbs, they are a fine colour and brightness for every day use.

Does anybody know how much Lexus charges you to swap out new bulbs?
probably some random numbers, but i won't be surprised if they throw out numbers like 1/2 to 1 hr labor
Old 11-11-09, 08:41 AM
RooRa
Driver

2006 gs awd is my car and i had a problem when my left lamp started to move up by itself. people thought i was high beaming, and a cop eventually pulled me over. the dealer took 3 days to correctly level the two. thats the only problem i ever had with my headlamps.

also is it me or do the headlights get dimmer?

Quick Reply: Headlight issue thread