GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Master Key programming unsuccessful

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 07:03 AM
Trugr8ns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Key programming unsuccessful

Hi there. I realize this topic may have been discussed in previous threads but not sure if others have had my issues. I ordered a remote online. I received it and couldn't find many places to program or cut it for my 1998 GS300. So I broke down to at least allow the dealer to cut the blade for me. I got instructions from where I ordered the key and tried those unsuccessfully. The method I was given was using the lock/ unlock rocker switch on the drivers door while having all the others closed. So after trying that for a while I then tried the other method using the gas and brake pedals. Also without any results. In fact the security light goes out as soon as the new key is inserted and the key worked to start the car right from the get go after having the blade cut. I thought that it needed to be programmed in order to even start the car? At any rate I can use it to start and drive the car however the remote does nothing. The light on the remote itself lights up when I press any of the buttons same as my original remote, yet the buttons control nothing. Is there a third method? If I have to pay 160 at the dealer to get them to program this key it'll end up that I would have spent more money ordering this key online than I would have spent had I just bought the key from them in the first
Place

So in the end I'm confused how this key works to start and drive the car, why it doesn't seem to enter this program mode and the security light turning off as soon as this key is inserted?

Any assistance to point me in the proper direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-14, 07:56 AM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by Trugr8ns
Hi there. I realize this topic may have been discussed in previous threads but not sure if others have had my issues. I ordered a remote online. I received it and couldn't find many places to program or cut it for my 1998 GS300. So I broke down to at least allow the dealer to cut the blade for me. I got instructions from where I ordered the key and tried those unsuccessfully. The method I was given was using the lock/ unlock rocker switch on the drivers door while having all the others closed. So after trying that for a while I then tried the other method using the gas and brake pedals. Also without any results. In fact the security light goes out as soon as the new key is inserted and the key worked to start the car right from the get go after having the blade cut. I thought that it needed to be programmed in order to even start the car? At any rate I can use it to start and drive the car however the remote does nothing. The light on the remote itself lights up when I press any of the buttons same as my original remote, yet the buttons control nothing. Is there a third method? If I have to pay 160 at the dealer to get them to program this key it'll end up that I would have spent more money ordering this key online than I would have spent had I just bought the key from them in the first
Place

So in the end I'm confused how this key works to start and drive the car, why it doesn't seem to enter this program mode and the security light turning off as soon as this key is inserted?

Any assistance to point me in the proper direction would be greatly appreciated.
I bought my gs with 1 key only. So wen to a local lock Smith in Portland Oregon and they have generic keys the works with a battery. Anyways they cut the key. And they have this machine where they program the key to the computer of the car using the code of my other key. I paid i think like 85 i believe. I was amaze when call lexus and told me how much was gonna be. Like 380 total.
Old 04-04-14, 02:59 PM
Trugr8ns
Driver School Candidate

Sadly the locksmiths here either don't answer the phone, don't return messages or don't have the equipment to program my key?
Old 04-04-14, 11:39 PM
tereck
Driver

Sadly the locksmiths here either don't answer the phone, don't return messages or don't have the equipment to program my key?
Look around its gotta be somewhere where they have this capabilities to do it
Old 04-09-14, 08:24 PM
Trugr8ns
Driver School Candidate

Was able to get it done using the door lock method. However it worked by me manually activating the door lock instead of using the power door lock. Still don't get why the key worked to turn the car on if it was supposed to be programmed before that was suppose to work. At any rate glad to have the remote working as well...
Old 04-10-14, 08:24 AM
PlatGS3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tereck
I bought my gs with 1 key only. So wen to a local lock Smith in Portland Oregon and they have generic keys the works with a battery. Anyways they cut the key. And they have this machine where they program the key to the computer of the car using the code of my other key. I paid i think like 85 i believe. I was amaze when call lexus and told me how much was gonna be. Like 380 total.
Where exactly ? I'm from portland as we'll and would like a new key also !
Old 04-10-14, 08:35 AM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by PlatGS3

Where exactly ? I'm from portland as we'll and would like a new key also !
It's actually in Gresham. It's call city lock and key.
901 SW Highland Dr, Gresham, OR 97080

Ask for the owner he does the job faster and accurate at the first shot. The wife and son need more experience cutting this keys. The guy dam fast. And they will program the new key to your gs as well. Good luck
Old 09-11-14, 10:01 AM
Rocksta9
Driver School Candidate

Please forgive me, if this is out of place in this thread:

I own a 1996 Lexus GS ( UK Specifications), and am based in Mumbai, India.

The details of the Car are as follows:

• Model: GS 300 4 door 3.0 ltr
• Stock No: 141001
• Chassis: JT153JSE700121615
• Model Code: JZS147R – BEPQFW
• Engine No: 0445030
• Trim Code: LJ10
• Key No: 01333

I lost the original key a few weeks ago. I then had a new blank key cut, ( without a chip). The new replacement key starts the engine, but after a couple of seconds, the engine cuts off.

I am unable to resolve the problem, nor is the local Toyota workshop. There is no Lexus dealership in India. I am unable to determine if this Car came with a standard key or a Transponder / programmed (chip) key.

Can you help me solve this problem ? Would reprogramming the ECU be the answer, or and if yes, how can I do that ?

I would sincerely appreciate any help that you can offer.

Best wishes,

Rusy
Old 09-12-14, 11:43 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocksta9
Please forgive me, if this is out of place in this thread:

I own a 1996 Lexus GS ( UK Specifications), and am based in Mumbai, India.

The details of the Car are as follows:

• Model: GS 300 4 door 3.0 ltr
• Stock No: 141001
• Chassis: JT153JSE700121615
• Model Code: JZS147R – BEPQFW
• Engine No: 0445030
• Trim Code: LJ10
• Key No: 01333

I lost the original key a few weeks ago. I then had a new blank key cut, ( without a chip). The new replacement key starts the engine, but after a couple of seconds, the engine cuts off.

I am unable to resolve the problem, nor is the local Toyota workshop. There is no Lexus dealership in India. I am unable to determine if this Car came with a standard key or a Transponder / programmed (chip) key.

Can you help me solve this problem ? Would reprogramming the ECU be the answer, or and if yes, how can I do that ?

I would sincerely appreciate any help that you can offer.

Best wishes,

Rusy
In your car you may not have the immobilizer?
Old 09-12-14, 03:14 PM
Rocksta9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angus
In your car you may not have the immobilizer?
Angus, that's where the doubt is. I was with the technician today. He says the electric supply to the injectors cuts off in a second or so, and the motor shuts off. He thinks its the immobilizer that kicks in
Old 09-12-14, 05:06 PM
kt636
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Was able to get it done using the door lock method. However it worked by me manually activating the door lock instead of using the power door lock. Still don't get why the key worked to turn the car on if it was supposed to be programmed before that was suppose to work. At any rate glad to have the remote working as well...
Glad you got everything working. I think you got confused with the programming instructions. There are two part in programming our keys. The first sequence start with the door locks/unlocks and that's for the keyless entry part of the remote. The second part that you mentioned with the gas/brake pedal is for the immobilizer. You need that in order for the car to start.