GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

4XX owners be honest........

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-02, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Default Re: Honestly Spending !

Originally posted by diamondgs4
Sometimes I do think I should not have bought the 4XX which give me a lot of different look from company parking lot.

I have to have my GS debaged to blend into the other GSs (2-300,1-400). Still, it gets a lot of attention because my 4XX is too shine and too clean looking.

Anyone want to trade-in their 4XX ? For a Z car maybe !
Yeah, a new Z wouldn't attract much attention.

Another thing, you should be proud of having a great car in the parking lot. Do you worry your coworkers think you deal drugs on the side or something?

I'd be more embarassed coming to work in a beater.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-31-02 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-31-02, 10:17 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Honestly Spending !

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Yeah, a new Z wouldn't attract much attention.

Another thing, you should be proud of having a great car in the parking lot. Do you worry your coworkers think you deal drugs on the side or something?

I'd be more embarassed coming to work in a beater.
Actually, I believe driving to work in a beater can work to your advantage. If people perceive you cannot afford a new car, they will feel pity for you and this can work in your advantage.

I have always found that my boss is most likely to take care of me during performance appraisal time if he feels I dont make enought money to buy a new car. (In the meantime, I have 4 other cars... eheh)

Now bring a ferrari to work, the PERCEPTION will be that you are making enough and an average raise will suffice.

PERCEPTION is REALITY!

Show up in a CHEVY sprint!

Old 08-31-02, 10:47 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always found that my boss is most likely to take care of me during performance appraisal time if he feels I dont make enought money to buy a new car. (In the meantime, I have 4 other cars... eheh)
I kind of disagree. I believe in this motto...I believe it was american beauty that stated it from that bozo guy...."always portray an image of success".

I believe that the fact that I dress well (My business casual dress is only a sports coat away from being business dress), and my performance being top notch helps an image that I try to exude. That image is that I am good at what I do, I appreciate good things, I do not hold back, and I have confidence in everything that I do and I work with. That doesnt mean everyone should only shop at saks and hugo boss and drive a GS400, just dont overdo it and do the minimum in everything so as to HOPE for pitty to be taken on you in order to get a raise. Always take the initiative and you will be better off.

God, I cant believe this even came up! I agree on getting a beater...however my definition of a beater that I would drive to work is a used S4, something still with some *****, is still classy, yet I wont have to worry about putting on 10k miles in 3 monhts on my baby bc I have to run to a client in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-31-02, 11:41 PM
LexFather

I drive a GS 400, my wonderful boss drives a Jeep Cherokee, her boss a I30t. All cool as a fan and I could not ask for better role models at work.

So it depends on the person. People CAN easily get jealous.
Old 09-01-02, 12:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts

If you work for a jealous boss, you work for a loser. Find a new one.
Old 09-01-02, 06:18 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my student accountant position had me in an office with 15 people, and all were much older, yet i clearly drove the best car. and they were all cool about, cracking jokes and such. they were never sore about the student with the fancy car. good people...

i can't imagine a jealous boss, what an a$$ that would be
Old 09-01-02, 10:15 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Prestige factor?

If you can afford a GS4, how can you pass that up for a GS300 that you plan to mod?

We are guys! We all want more power and can never be satisified with stock or what we have right now. We buy a Lexus, not only for the reliability and the look, but also for the prestige. Anyone that says that they didn't buy the Lexus to some extent for the prestige is not being truthful. These cars are our moving status symbols in life. We like to impress our friends and of course the chicks.

The GS300 is impressive in its own right, but there is something so amazing about a GS4. I see a lot of GS300s out there, but not many GS4's. Believe it or not, people do notice a GS4 and the looks are often, whether good or bad.

A GS300 Turbo sounds exciting, but the Lexus V8 300HP engine is amazing. It's one of the most power production engines built by the Japanese and there is a lot to be said about that. If you can afford it (like you said you could), how could you pass up on a V8 for a modded 6? The GS4 is in a totally different class of cars due the V8 it offers.
Old 09-01-02, 10:20 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bravo261
my student accountant position had me in an office with 15 people, and all were much older, yet i clearly drove the best car. and they were all cool about, cracking jokes and such. they were never sore about the student with the fancy car. good people...

i can't imagine a jealous boss, what an a$$ that would be
I think we are all self-concious at times about driving our Lexus cars. I was very much so in the beginning, since I work in sales and have to take clients out to lunch. Will they think I am making too much money and not give me their orders, or will they think that I am doing well for myself, so I am a good sales person and they will give me the business?

Sooner or later, I will have to shake these thoughts from my mind, and simply enjoy the car to it's full extent.

Also it doesn't help when the economy is in the dumps and you are trying to keep low key about your Lexus. That is virtually impossible, unless you hide your Lexus in your garage, which is crazy.