GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

It begins. . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 11:37 AM
ezzejacobs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a question, trying to help someone out that is looking into the aristo tranny. Did you just end up cutting the yoke off of your gs drive shaft and welding on a different yoke to fit, or did you use a piece from the aristo drive shaft?

Thanks for the help,

Eric J.
Old 05-22-08, 06:11 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

no updates. I can't find any 440's. I still haven't gotten my downpipe back, and I still have not figured out the driveshaft. I haven't touched it since Monday. Too frustrated with the stupid **** I'm dealing with now. Sooo close yet sooo far. BUT, I did manage to get everything wired up, my Vpro, Knock amp, turbo timer, EDFC, and Boost controller. (still waiting on my custom glove box mount for that stuff too!!) It's all out of my hands at the moment. You guys will get a movie of start up AS SOON as I get this little **** back in to my control. I did not get any pics of this yet, but there is one more thing that I figured out that has to be changed in the wiring. In order to get the shift-lock release and the dash lights to work and the trans. to actually shift gears, there is a gray jumper plug in the ECU box. One wire needs to be moved over one place in order for all that stuff to work. Until it is done, your dash light gear indicator and shift lock DO NOT work. And you also have to use the Aristo shift linkage because, being 4 speed, the Aristo linkage is about an inch/inch and a half shorter than the GS, so if you use the GS linkage your shifter will not line up and you won't be able to shift gears properly. The lights work funny too D->D, 4->3, 3->2, 2->L and L is unused. I haven't decided if I'm gonna leave it alone and deal with it, pull all the bulbs so there are no lights, or rewire the cluster so that it lights up right. That's it for now, movies soon! (I hope, )
Old 05-26-08, 02:40 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any more updates? Do you think an aristo driveshaft will work?
Old 05-26-08, 08:01 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

none yet. Just waiting on some 440's so I can start it and drive it till after the 9th. and without modification, the aristo drive shaft will work. I'm taking the yokes from the aristo trans and the GS driveshaft tomorrow to my trans guy and seeing if he can do something. other than that. ive got nothing.
Old 05-27-08, 12:02 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any race shops around that could build and balance a drive shaft for you? You'd save some weight, make some power gains, and have one less 'weak link' in the drivetrain. Just a thought, I mean you are already spending so much, what's another 500 or so lol.
Old 05-27-08, 06:09 AM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

yeah, the guy im taking the other parts to could also build me one. the problem with that is not money, but not having the proper yokes to match up. The GS/Aristo drive shaft uses a hard rubber isolator in between the trans and the driveshaft. (damn luxury cars, lol) so without the aristo isolator, i don't have anything to bolt to the aristo trans. ill know for sure today or tomorrow what has to be done. its probably a whole lot easier than im making it out to be. ill let you guys know.
Old 05-27-08, 06:53 AM
-Future-
Pole Position

NICE!! You make me want to do a swap!!
Old 05-29-08, 06:10 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

SUCCESS!?!?!?!?!!!!
After about 45 minutes of doing the longest happy dance of my life, I have finally calmed down enough to say that IT'S ALIVE!!!! finally got the injectors that I was waiting on and installed those last night. Got home early from work and started putting her back together. Got it assembled, pulled the spark plugs, disconnected the injectors. Turned her over a few times to build up oil pressure. the oil light went out, I reinstalled the spark plugs, reconnected the injectors and crossed all of my fingers and toes. Put the key in the ignition, took a deep breath and turned the key. Fired up the engine first try. no stumbling, no rough idle, no check lights, no nothing. she idles like it was the stock engine. I cannot wipe the smile off of my face right now. The ONLY problem that i have right now, is I managed to wreck 2 of my driveshaft bolts so i had to special order some from toyota. (dont ever wreck or lose them retail on the bolt is $20, the washer is $11 and the nut is $8) so $75 later, i won't be driving till tuesday. BUT i finally have her running. Just waiting for the wife to get home from work with the camera and ill take some vids and post em up.
Old 05-29-08, 06:27 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
SUCCESS!?!?!?!?!!!!
After about 45 minutes of doing the longest happy dance of my life, I have finally calmed down enough to say that IT'S ALIVE!!!! finally got the injectors that I was waiting on and installed those last night. Got home early from work and started putting her back together. Got it assembled, pulled the spark plugs, disconnected the injectors. Turned her over a few times to build up oil pressure. the oil light went out, I reinstalled the spark plugs, reconnected the injectors and crossed all of my fingers and toes. Put the key in the ignition, took a deep breath and turned the key. Fired up the engine first try. no stumbling, no rough idle, no check lights, no nothing. she idles like it was the stock engine. I cannot wipe the smile off of my face right now. The ONLY problem that i have right now, is I managed to wreck 2 of my driveshaft bolts so i had to special order some from toyota. (dont ever wreck or lose them retail on the bolt is $20, the washer is $11 and the nut is $8) so $75 later, i won't be driving till tuesday. BUT i finally have her running. Just waiting for the wife to get home from work with the camera and ill take some vids and post em up.
very cool now what all is next ??
Old 05-29-08, 06:41 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

just going to have to wait till tuesday to get my driveshaft bolts, then I can drive her around "stock" to make sure that there are no immediate issues. Then in the middle of june, my HKS tuner is back in town and then the fcon and knock amp will be installed, tuned and dyno'd. we'll see how the auto holds up, and if it craps out then ill either build it or 5 speed swap. (leaning heavily towards the 5 speed swap. ) gotta build the bank back up then its wheels/suspension (probably 20" work vs-kf and tein CS), and LSD (probably cusco 1.5) sooner rather than later, i have a strong feeling that one wheel burnouts will get tired REAL quick. After all that is done, paint, body and interior. it'll be the same color, haven't decided on what body kit (if any at all) and probably some kickass recaro's (to the tune of powered heated leather) then ill be done. maybe. . . . . . .
Old 05-30-08, 08:33 AM
ezzejacobs
Driver School Candidate

What ended up happening w/ the driveshaft? Did you order a yoke or another piece and have it welded to the end of the driveshaft?

Let me know when you can,

Eric J.
Old 05-30-08, 03:31 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ezzejacobs
What ended up happening w/ the driveshaft? Did you order a yoke or another piece and have it welded to the end of the driveshaft?

Let me know when you can,

Eric J.
i had to take the yoke off of the aristo trans. and have it machined at a machine shop to fit. I basically had them CNC the bolt holes so that they were oval shape instead of round. the driveshaft i left alone. it is still the stock GS driveshaft, no modifications.
Old 06-14-08, 07:46 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

how long was the process of doing the drop and wires?
Old 01-17-09, 08:26 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok soo where is the up and running videos and new pics ??
Old 01-17-09, 08:32 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

Don't have any at the moment. There's been snow on the ground for the past few months, and the car is parked. I have trouble with traction in the dry let alone snow. Once the snow melts I'll be driving it again and get some pics/vids.

Quick Reply: It begins. . .