Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

luxury car brand loyalty declining

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-22, 09:25 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
All our cars right now are in the red zones but we will buy another one from the same brand.

Yeah that definitely sounds silly because it's not true.
It is true, at least in high tech Silicon Valley. Tech sells.
Look at a MBZ, Lexus, whatever, with all the switches, buttons, etc. While many are used to and prefer this, others prefer, and are drawn to, futuristic design.
After driving the Model 3, I find our Lexi overly complicated.
Teslas regularly get new voice commands and other improvements via OTA updates. If you haven't experienced this, it may be hard to understand how amazing some of the updates are.
My most used voice commands are, "Set the tem to ..." , "Turn up/down fan." and "Play Paul Butterfield."

As a small sample, here are a few climate controls set by voice:
  • "Make it cooler"
  • "Make it warmer"
  • "Turn on/off the driver's seat heater"
  • "Cool down the passenger"
  • "Direct airflow to my face"
  • "Sync climate"
  • "Increase/decrease the fan speed"
  • "Turn on/off rear defroster"
Windshield wipers:
  • "Speed up the wipers"
  • "Increase/decrease windshield wiper speed by..."
  • "Turn on/off the wipers"
There is so much more.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 08-14-22 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-14-22, 09:53 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Many of these commands are available in my NX 450H. No doubt more are to follow. It does make it easy.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Look at a MBZ, Lexus, whatever, with all the switches, buttons, etc. While many are used to and prefer this, others prefer, and are drawn to, futuristic design.
Teslas regularly get new voice commands and other improvements via OTA updates. If you haven't experienced this, it may be hard to understand how amazing some of the updates are.
My most used voice commands are, "Set the tem to ..." , "Turn up/down fan." and "Play Paul Butterfield."

• "Make it cooler"
  • "Make it warmer"
  • "Sync climate"
Windshield wipers:
  • "Speed up the wipers"
There is so much more.
Old 08-14-22, 02:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha, them's fighting words... lots of VERY toyota/lexus brand loyal members on CL!
I would say Tesla owners are a worlds away more loyal. Toyota/Lexus owners are loyal to the brand because they tend to hold on to their cars for 10 or more years and reliability is key in their choice. Case in point...my sister in law. She's 72 68 years old and has been driving nothing but Lexus vehicles since I met her more than 25 years ago...yes I've been married that long She has three sons that convinced her to buy a Model 3, which she bought a few weeks before they raised the price back in 2021. Since then, her LS460 has been parked in her garage and she has not touched it. She knows nothing about technology, is old school, but loves that Model 3. The only reason she has not sold her LS460, like me holding on to my IS350, she feels some attachment for it, although she has not driven it going on a year and a half. I would buy it from her myself, but like my IS350, it would just sit in my yard.

Basically after owning multiple Lexus vehicles over the years and then getting a Model 3, there is nothing else she will buy or drive. Her LS460 is fully loaded, has all the bells and whistles like heated seats, massaging seats etc but for some reason prefers the Model 3. I'm sure this would be the case of many Lexus owners because she was among the die hard

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-14-22 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 07:35 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

• "Make it cooler"
  • "Make it warmer"
  • "Sync climate"
Windshield wipers:
  • "Speed up the wipers"
There is so much more.
what does silicon have to do with your statement about other brands don’t have that vc? They do. Depending on where the commander sits, it will set the correct seat accordingly. If the command is given again, it will increase the heat level. I don’t use vc only my kiddo messes with it when he’s with me. Not sure about all the listed commands but they seem like something the car would do. Speaking of tech, while vc is convenient in some cases like setting rear ac or find some place on the go, most are gimmic imo. A more useful tech is detecting obstacles ahead of you. Or give it a specific hand move and it will take you home.

Last edited by 1111GS; 08-14-22 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-14-22, 10:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 775 Likes on 524 Posts

It takes me 1 second to hit a physical button or to flick a stalk than spend 20 seconds giving some voice command for basic function.

it’s great if you’re eating supersized Wendy’s with greasy fingers and that’s about it.

You are mistaking the voice commands on the Tesla as the most efficient way to operate. It’s only done out of necessity for having no buttons. The Silicon Valley inference is also misrepresented. It’s not a single collective thing with a union.

Last edited by 703; 08-14-22 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 06:19 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

BMW is struggling to manufacture cars this year (supply chain), which has to be one reason Tesla is killing them in the market. BMW is profitable, due to selling more high end and EV cars. But you can't sell what you can't produce.
Tesla has managed the pandemic related problems better than other car companies, which is a result of better management including vertical integration.

Tesla will probably outsell BMW worldwide within a few years. Additionally, once Berlin, Shanghai and Austin ramp the Model Y might become the #1 selling car overtaking the Corolla. Quite a feat for a $70K vehicle.
how is a company that is making a fraction of the number of cars that bmw and most other car manufacturers make handling pandemic related problems better? That doesn't make any sense imo.
Old 08-15-22, 08:02 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

IMO, a lot of this "Tesla loyalty" has to do with gas prices. How can it not feel good not having to pay 7 bucks a gallon? Esp in Silicon Valley where a six figure salary is considered poor? That's why we see a disproportional number between model 3s and the rest. Model 3s after the everything factored in are as cheap/affordable as a Camry or Accord.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's all well and good, but some BMW owners I'm around (3, 5, and M series) are buying Tesla's as their daily commuters or altogether switching to Tesla's. My boss who is a perfect example no longer drives his 5 series and mainly drives his model X. There must be some reason Tesla's Model 3 and Y are top sellers... being priced at BMW money. The point you are missing is that the reason Tesla is out selling everyone and the brand has loyalty is because it's vehicles are technologically advanced which is why they are in such great demand. The reason I'm not buying one (although I have not completely ruled out buying one) is I'm not a fan of the simplistic cabin, lack of stuff like turn signal stalk and most physical buttons, and of course price. But honestly when I drive in one, all that gets overlooked. Anyway, no more Tesla talk...
I'm not on 3, 5 or M, but I'm on X forums... I don't see any urge to get a Tesla from these folks. If one is concerned about the gas, they seem to be happy with a PHEV. The majority hates the buttonless design.
Originally Posted by 703
It takes me 1 second to hit a physical button or to flick a stalk than spend 20 seconds giving some voice command for basic function.
it’s great if you’re eating supersized Wendy’s with greasy fingers and that’s about it.
You are mistaking the voice commands on the Tesla as the most efficient way to operate. It’s only done out of necessity for having no buttons. The Silicon Valley inference is also misrepresented. It’s not a single collective thing with a union.
No kidding. Some buttons are also assignable so they do wonder. Imagine driving on freeway and hit with a big rain and you are either non English speaking or have heavy accent. Lol
Old 08-15-22, 08:06 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by Blaze876
how is a company that is making a fraction of the number of cars that bmw and most other car manufacturers make handling pandemic related problems better? That doesn't make any sense imo.
Check your numbers.
Old 08-15-22, 08:10 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

what does silicon have to do with your statement about other brands don’t have that vc? They do. Depending on where the commander sits, it will set the correct seat accordingly. If the command is given again, it will increase the heat level. I don’t use vc only my kiddo messes with it when he’s with me. Not sure about all the listed commands but they seem like something the car would do. Speaking of tech, while vc is convenient in some cases like setting rear ac or find some place on the go, most are gimmic imo. A more useful tech is detecting obstacles ahead of you. Or give it a specific hand move and it will take you home.
My point is, tech is the future. Other manufacturers are chasing Tesla.
There is a ton of dislike for the Tesla 3/Y tablet interface and minimalist interior among the current customer base.
But young people take to it naturally; things are changing.
Old 08-15-22, 08:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

IMO, a lot of this "Tesla loyalty" has to do with gas prices. How can it not feel good not having to pay 7 bucks a gallon? Esp in Silicon Valley where a six figure salary is considered poor? That's why we see a disproportional number between model 3s and the rest. Model 3s after the everything factored in are as cheap/affordable as a Camry or Accord.

I'm not on 3, 5 or M, but I'm on X forums... I don't see any urge to get a Tesla from these folks. If one is concerned about the gas, they seem to be happy with a PHEV. The majority hates the buttonless design.

No kidding. Some buttons are also assignable so they do wonder. Imagine driving on freeway and hit with a big rain and you are either non English speaking or have heavy accent. Lol
I would have to respectfully disagree. Tesla loyalty began the day Tesla announced the Model 3, and has just exploded ever since. What about last year when Tesla couldn't keep up with Model 3 and Y orders? Two years ago we started seeing the number of Model 3's begin to match the number of Camry and Accords...now the joke here is the Model 3 is the new Corolla. Today I see way more Tesla's on the road then I even see Camry and Accord.

In California where I live, and this could be specific to the people I'm around, many owners of cars like Toyota, Lexus and BMW are buying and either switching their commuters to Model 3 or Y, or outright selling their cars and replacing them. And it's not because of gas prices because these are people who $5 a gallon is just an inconvenience. Tesla has already outsold Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW in the US Market:

https://www.teslaownersonline.com/th...or-2021.20398/

https://www.autonews.com/sales/tesla...crown-***-says

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-15-22 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-15-22, 08:52 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

If you are buying an expensive car like a Tesla to save on fuel costs, I suggest you check your math. A Civic/Corolla/Accord/Camry ot any hybrid is a far better choice financially. By the way, in a few years the Model Y may overtake the Corolla as the #1 selling vehicle in the world, quite a feat for a $70K SUV.

Tesla voice commands support many languages and more continue to be added. And don't worry about the windshield wipers; they are automatic. You can also control them via voice commands.
Old 08-15-22, 08:58 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I would say Tesla owners are a worlds away more loyal. Toyota/Lexus owners are loyal to the brand because they tend to hold on to their cars for 10 or more years and reliability is key in their choice.
That's not quite true as the majority of Lexus owners lease. Lease rates for Lexus are tied with BMW and above both Mercedes and Audi.

Old 08-15-22, 09:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
That's not quite true as the majority of Lexus owners lease. Lease rates for Lexus are tied with BMW and above both Mercedes and Audi.

Interesting...thanks for sharing that. I didn't realize that many Lexus owners lease
Old 08-15-22, 09:06 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting...thanks for sharing that. I didn't realize that many Lexus owners lease
I find it especially interesting as Lexus's entire reputation is based almost entirely on reliability, yet most Lexus customers won't even keep their cars long enough for it to matter. The Lexus owners on this forum who keep their cars for a while are definitely not the norm for your average Lexus buyers.
Old 08-15-22, 09:09 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
What is the fraction? 9/10 is a fraction.

Tesla uses 3-5x less modules vs. the typical auto maker and repurposes chips because they code everything in house. Along with demand this is the result.

Attachment 485605

Quick Reply: luxury car brand loyalty declining