Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

luxury car brand loyalty declining

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 01:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Up here, the price disparity is wider.

I think hybrids make more sense for vast majority of consumers. No charging required. 600-700 miles of range. IMO, I don’t care for hybrid part in any way….rather just have straight gas model
That's already been pointed out to him if you go further down the thread. Nobody buys a Model 3 to "save money"
Old 08-15-22, 01:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
How do you insure those cars...just liability or full coverage? Honestly you are better off cutting some of the fat. Even if you are paying very little on insurance, when you add it up you'll be surprised. I was paying about $45 a month for my IS that was just sitting. $45 x 12 and now $540 a year! Save that for two years and that's a trip to Hawaii for two!
Most are low mile extra liability plus towing/road hazard but the sequoia and A8 have full since they are expensive cars. The Saturn has classic insurance and the Jeep has the absolute minimum possible. Truck doesn't have any currently since I'm not using it

If I really wanted to I could convert my fleet into a single really high end car...but I honestly would rather have a bunch of different cars and the sequoia is must have. It's the only car I have that can do absolutely everything I would ever need to do in one package. I still end up paying more on gas every month vs insurance so it's fine? My wife is honestly the one who is doing that, she drives way too much for her job. The poor LS430 is going to hit like 300k by next year lol!

All of the car expenses pale vs ammo costs though, that's our main hobby. We are fairly high level competitors and make our own ammo but it's still quite nuts how much the costs can run up. 20 min of practicing standards is a full tank of gas and we shoot at least once a week and have 1-3 matches as well. Practice is what gets you though since you can easily send $500 worth down range between two people in under two hours if you both brought timers and a spotter. My dad was a NM shooter and he still competes locally and got me into this, I went more IDPA/USPSA and 3-gun though since it's hard to sink $18,000-23,000 into a single rifle for long range games. I would rather have a set of guns for that price I can use across multiple games.

The running joke is whenever we are driving to a match the guns in the trunk are worth more than the car by FAR. When we go to night shoots for example my rifle is $6400 as equipped and I'm wearing $17000 NVGs....

Last edited by Striker223; 08-15-22 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 01:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
If I really wanted to I could convert my fleet into a single really high end car...but I honestly would rather have a bunch of different cars and the sequoia is must have. It's the only car I have that can do absolutely everything I would ever need to do in one package. I still end up paying more on gas every month vs insurance so it's fine? My wife is honestly the one who is doing that, she drives way too much for her job. The poor LS430 is going to hit like 300k by next year lol!
That is because of the versatility. Hard to beat gas
Old 08-15-22, 02:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
how is a company that is making a fraction of the number of cars that bmw and most other car manufacturers make handling pandemic related problems better? That doesn't make any sense imo.
tesla handled the pandemic well because they weren't AS dependent on old chips as older car companies were/are, plus being a software company, tesla could more quickly adapt to using alternative chips.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
There is a ton of dislike for the Tesla 3/Y tablet interface and minimalist interior among the current customer base.
But young people take to it naturally; things are changing.
reminds me a bit of blackberry users dissing the iphone when it came out. suddenly all phones soon had few buttons.

Originally Posted by Motorola
I find it especially interesting as Lexus's entire reputation is based almost entirely on reliability, yet most Lexus customers won't even keep their cars long enough for it to matter.
i agree with you that during a lease period most cars will have no significant issues. lexus buyers appreciate more than just reliability though... lexus has had a level of driving refinement (quiet, smooth, comfortable ride) without being outrageously expensive. there's a reason the ES and RX sell so well beyond reliability. they've also generally had great dealers and service.

but it's likely true that TONS of lexus owners came from toyotas and were loyal whether they switched to a lease or not.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
ICE cars have dominated society and culture for 100 years so it's understandable that general sentiment lags what is actually happening.
true.

And of course the ultimate in luxury is was associated with cars that have giant V8 or even V12 engines.
fixed that for you. when rolls royce eventually brings out their EV, it's game over - it will have established that the ultimate luxury vehicle is electric.

tesla just celebrated making their 1 millionth car at their chinese factory. as austin and berlin get going, tesla will catch up with their order backlog, the revenue will be off the charts, and they should be able to finally make some changes and get other things to market (cybertruck being the most promised one).

Old 08-15-22, 02:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
reminds me a bit of blackberry users dissing the iphone when it came out. suddenly all phones soon had few buttons.
I had to laugh when I read that. That was me. I was that hardcore BB user......

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-15-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 02:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

This is the greatest tech moment in the modern era, I'm not being hyperbolic. The reaction by Steve Ballmer is a close second.

Old 08-15-22, 02:30 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Check your numbers.
Maybe you should check your numbers? Tesla sold less than half the units worldwide than BMW did in 2021. So I am interested to find out why you think Tesla is handling the pandemic related issues better than BMW and other manufacturers.
Old 08-15-22, 02:35 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What is the fraction? 9/10 is a fraction.

Tesla uses 3-5x less modules vs. the typical auto maker and repurposes chips because they code everything in house. Along with demand this is the result.

3-5 less modules because they have less features than a similarly priced BMW.

bmw had more than double the sales in 2021 vs tesla...so not sure where your 9/10 comes from.

One big factor which tesla fans fail to acknowledge is sourcing chips for 1.5 million vehicles is a lot easier than 5 million vehicles.

Last edited by Blaze876; 08-15-22 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 02:59 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Uhm... maybe you should do the math to confirm yourself. Model 3 is not even considered expensive. It's an equivalent Accord/Camry after everything is factored into the math. Even one of the Tesla owners here admitted it too. But I get it. You and many don't see it that way. Model Y may cost 70K but if you do your math right, it's not a 70K vehicle.
The starting MSRP for a Model 3 is $46,990. The starting MSRP for a Camry is $25,945.
The Camry is a bigger car; the Corolla MSRP is $20,425. The BMW Model 3 is a similar size, perhaps smaller and has MSRP of $42,300. Lexus IS starts at 39,125.

The market considers the Tesla Model 3 a luxury car. People do not buy a Tesla for economy.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 08-15-22 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 03:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

3-5 less modules because they have less features than a similarly priced BMW.
That's one way to rationalize BMW falling behind the industry leaders.
bmw had more than double the sales in 2021 vs tesla...so not sure where your 9/10 comes from.
You said fraction which could mean anything so I posted a random fraction. What will be the production run rate of BMW and Tesla be by years end?
One big factor which tesla fans fail to acknowledge is sourcing chips for 1.5 million vehicles is a lot easier than 5 million vehicles.
How much harder? Buying in bulk gives more bargaining clout.
Old 08-15-22, 06:20 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 334 Posts

Maybe you should check your numbers? Tesla sold less than half the units worldwide than BMW did in 2021. So I am interested to find out why you think Tesla is handling the pandemic related issues better than BMW and other manufacturers.
Not in the luxury segment. 2022 is even worse for BMW. They selling fewer cars even though there is demand. They are selling more high end models and EV to bouy their bottom line.
Tesla is expected to overtake BMW in sales in a few years.
Old 08-15-22, 08:06 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Not in the luxury segment. 2022 is even worse for BMW. They selling fewer cars even though there is demand. They are selling more high end models and EV to bouy their bottom line.
Tesla is expected to overtake BMW in sales in a few years.
so now moving the goalpost to saying luxury segment? Bmw did outsell tesla in the luxury department as well...not that I would even consider tesla luxury unless it's a model S/X. Still haven't answered my initial question why you believe Tesla is handling pandemic related problems better than bmw when they have sold a fraction of the cars bmw has sold worldwide.

So selling more high end models and EVs is a bad thing now? Not sure why you even made that statement.
Old 08-15-22, 08:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I don't know why there is contention here, BMW sells more cars. Just don't look at trends and margins and everything will seem super in BMW land.
Old 08-15-22, 10:40 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Loyalty is a thing of the past.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha, them's fighting words... lots of VERY toyota/lexus brand loyal members on CL!
Color me a former Toyota/Lexus loyalist. I completely agree with 703 above that brand loyalty is overrated. Even among CL members, consensus is Toyota/Lexus reliability peaked in the 2000-2006 generation of vehicles. The decline in brand loyalty suggests people are savvier, more open-minded, and willing to try something new to see if it works better for them.

We stuck with Toyotas and Lexus for almost 40 years, same for Michelin tires every time. But times are a changing. Instead of blind allegiance people now rely on crowd-sourced reviews and online comparisons to decide how to best spend their money. With more tools at your disposal, every brand has to work harder to hold onto customers.

I loved using MacBooks for many years but stuck with Android phones because iPhones were lacking features I wanted/needed. Now I’m onboard with the entire Apple ecosystem (phone, laptop, tablet, watch, etc.). But I’ll jump brands if necessary to meet my evolving needs. With the Internet at our disposal it’s much easier to search for exactly what you want. The label on the product plays a smaller role in the decision-making process today.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 08-15-22 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 07:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Color me a former Toyota/Lexus loyalist. I completely agree with 703 above that brand loyalty is overrated. Even among CL members, consensus is Toyota/Lexus reliability peaked in the 2000-2006 generation of vehicles. The decline in brand loyalty suggests people are savvier, more open-minded, and willing to try something new to see if it works better for them.

We stuck with Toyotas and Lexus for almost 40 years, same for Michelin tires every time. But times are a changing. Instead of blind allegiance people now rely on crowd-sourced reviews and online comparisons to decide how to best spend their money. With more tools at your disposal, every brand has to work harder to hold onto customers.

I loved using MacBooks for many years but stuck with Android phones because iPhones were lacking features I wanted/needed. Now I’m onboard with the entire Apple ecosystem (phone, laptop, tablet, watch, etc.). But I’ll jump brands if necessary to meet my evolving needs. With the Internet at our disposal it’s much easier to search for exactly what you want. The label on the product plays a smaller role in the decision-making process today.
You lost me at "now I'm onboard with the entire Apple ecosystem". Just kidding

Quick Reply: luxury car brand loyalty declining