Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

luxury car brand loyalty declining

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 10:18 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Taking a closer look at the chart, it sort of makes sense with Genesis seeing an increase but time will tell if the trend holds.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have done a great job bringing “luxury car” exclusive features to a more accessible price point. We are at a point where mainstream brands can have AWD, multi-zone climate systems, true premium sound systems, movie screens, ventilated seats, remote start, nice materials, etc. What used to be exclusive domain of luxury cars is more common in your everyday car, so why not look elsewhere if you can get the same experience and pay less?
Old 08-16-22, 10:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 284 Likes on 167 Posts

I have no idea what "brand loyalty" is - just saying To me a car has to meet certain criteria - regardless of brand. Nothing else matters IMO
Old 08-16-22, 10:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Taking a closer look at the chart, it sort of makes sense with Genesis seeing an increase but time will tell if the trend holds.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have done a great job bringing “luxury car” exclusive features to a more accessible price point. We are at a point where mainstream brands can have AWD, multi-zone climate systems, true premium sound systems, movie screens, ventilated seats, remote start, nice materials, etc. What used to be exclusive domain of luxury cars is more common in your everyday car, so why not look elsewhere if you can get the same experience and pay less?
Because true luxury cars now have SO much more than those now basic features. It's like back in the 80s having ABS, AC, PS, power seats/windows, cruise control and a FM radio and a CD!!!!! Were all high end features that are now a given on ANY car.
Old 08-16-22, 11:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,780 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As I mentioned earlier, I was on the pre-order list when the Samsung Galaxy came out. I stuck with Samsung all the way to the Galaxy 3...but the software and bloatware just killed the experience for me.
Getting rid of bloat from operating systems is a way of life for me. I hate it, but have no choice. Speaking of OS's I got roped into taking care of a few Windows machines they would not do any updates. I tried every fix out there none worked only solution was wipe and start again. I HATE Windows so much.
Originally Posted by Striker223
Because true luxury cars now have SO much more than those now basic features. It's like back in the 80s having ABS, AC, PS, power seats/windows, cruise control and a FM radio and a CD!!!!! Were all high end features that are now a given on ANY car.
Japanese brands in the 80's offered all of those things it was no big deal.
Old 08-16-22, 11:52 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 956 Likes on 761 Posts

Software bloat in the new cars will be a problem for some mfgs due to reasons outside scope of this thread, maybe new thread could be fun?
I only use Windows for my work laptop because I need it for running specific software, maybe 2nd new thread? lol j/k
All my other laptops are running Linux because I love windows so much, not! lol

As far as luxury car brand loyalty, hate to say I have never been "loyal" to one brand and I don't know why.
Old 08-16-22, 11:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Getting rid of bloat from operating systems is a way of life for me. I hate it, but have no choice. Speaking of OS's I got roped into taking care of a few Windows machines they would not do any updates. I tried every fix out there none worked only solution was wipe and start again. I HATE Windows so much.
I have really good experience with Windows 10/11, but I'm not a desktop guy, I'm a network/Server guy and Windows Server (2016, 2019, and 2021) are very robust. In fact I've had more issues with my Linux servers (CentOS, Redhat Ent). I have about 30 servers running, out of those about 5 are Linux and the rest are a mix of Windows Server 2019 through 2021. The only time I've had any issues with my Win servers was once when MS released a completely buggy update that caused my DC's to reboot due to a CPU leak. Uninstalled the that update and everything was fine
Old 08-16-22, 12:51 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, what happened to this thread.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i agree with you that during a lease period most cars will have no significant issues. lexus buyers appreciate more than just reliability though... lexus has had a level of driving refinement (quiet, smooth, comfortable ride) without being outrageously expensive. there's a reason the ES and RX sell so well beyond reliability. they've also generally had great dealers and service.

but it's likely true that TONS of lexus owners came from toyotas and were loyal whether they switched to a lease or not.
For sure, Lexus has an extremely loyal owner base even if most of them lease. At the same time, you brought up a great point about the ES/RX- would they be nearly as successful as they are if they were priced in the realm of the 5 Series and X5? The upcoming RX500h for instance is guaranteed to be $70,000+ SUV like the X5. Acura went past that threshold with the MDX and Genesis with the GV80. Would Lexus brand loyalty be enough to sustain its enormous volume at that price? We'll find out very soon.
Old 08-16-22, 02:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

True, but it's not just features nowadays. Even luxury cars have lost the formula of what made them luxury to begin with. Mercedes may still do it well, but Lexus has definitely lost its way with the LS 500. There is a problem when the ES backseat somehow feels more spacious than the LS's. The hallmark ride quality of Lexus vehicles has progressively tried to be sportier, as a result they've lost some of their most ardent followers. It is hard to stay loyal to a brand if they can't figure out their own identity and forget what it is they once stood for. I miss that "Pursuit of Perfection", rather than whatever the current slogan/philosophy is that I can't even recall.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 08-16-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-16-22, 02:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,172 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
True, but it's not just features nowadays. Even luxury cars have lost the formula of what made them luxury to begin with. Mercedes may still do it well, but Lexus has definitely lost its way with the LS 500. There is a problem when the ES backseat somehow feels more spacious than the LS's. The hallmark ride quality of Lexus vehicles has progressively tried to be sportier, as a result they've lost some of their most ardent followers. It is hard to stay loyal to a brand if they can't figure out their own identity and forget what it is they once stood for.
Yeah. It's sad to see what happened to Lexus, Mercedes still understands what's important though. At least Lexus still has very high quality and uniformity, the interior materials, care, interlock of parts, and paint quality are all still impressive.

They just refuse to make a fast car.
Old 08-16-22, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah. It's sad to see what happened to Lexus, Mercedes still understands what's important though. At least Lexus still has very high quality and uniformity, the interior materials, care, interlock of parts, and paint quality are all still impressive.

They just refuse to make a fast car.
Lexus definitely has changed. More focused on hybrids and the mid $50K stuff….The F stuff really isn’t all that great although I really liked the Fuji Track edition marketing they were doing. Now Lexus even missed the mark on the LX600 which lacks a V8.

If THIS is the future of Lexus,, then it’s not gonna work

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-16-22 at 02:32 PM.