Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Lincoln Aviator

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 Lincoln Aviator

400 horsepower standard

The 2020 Lincoln Aviator has finally been revealed in production form following its "concept" debut at the New York Auto Show earlier this year. We add the quotes because the production model is identical to the New York model. Appearances aside, the big news is under the hood. At launch, the Lincoln Aviator will be available with two engines. They're both twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6s, and one of them is a plug-in hybrid. The standard engine makes an impressive 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. To help put that into perspective, that's about 40 more horsepower than the top-rung six-cylinder Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 we just drove, and about 65 more horsepower than the entry-level six-cylinder BMW X5 xDrive40i. Moving to the hybrid powertrain brings Aviator output to 450 horsepower and a staggering 600 pound-feet of torque. That's just 6 ponies shy of the V8-powered BMW X5 xDrive50i, but 121 more pound-feet of torque. This plug-in hybrid powertrain will also be able to do the typical plug-in stuff. You can run the vehicle in pure electric mode or hold the charge to be deployed at a more advantageous time such as driving in town at the end of a highway drive. Lincoln did not give estimates for the pure electric range. Fuel economy hasn't been revealed yet, either. Other interesting hybrid notes: The battery fits entirely under the passenger side of the vehicle between the front and rear wheels. The motor is sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Lincoln also mentioned this is a modular hybrid system, so expect to see it appear in other Lincoln and Ford products in the future. This powertrain layout is part of what makes it possible for all versions of the Aviator to use the same 10-speed automatic transmission, which is gradually proliferating through the whole Ford family. From there, power either goes solely to the rear wheels, or through an optional all-wheel-drive system. All of this power can ride on an available adaptive air suspension the company calls Air Glide. It works like many adaptive suspensions, scanning the road with a camera to adjust damping for bumps ahead. It does have some other trick features, though. When the Aviator is parked, the suspension lowers to make the crossover look more attractive while sitting. And when the driver approaches, it lowers itself further for easier ingress. It also raises itself for snow or mild off-road driving, and it lowers down at highway speeds for better aerodynamics. The Aviator has other nifty technology. For one thing, you don't have to have your key fob with you anymore. You can connect your phone to the car so it can act as the key fob. It will let you lock, unlock and start the car. The car performs the whole "Lincoln Embrace" welcome procedure of switching on the running lights and puddle lights as you approach. Owners can register up to four devices to work as a key, and in case any are lost, they can be removed by going online from your computer or phone. Now that we've gone through all the mechanical and technological fun, we should talk about the Aviator's looks. As we mentioned, it does look like the model shown in New York, and that's good. It looks like a sleeker version of the Navigator with its gently sloping, tapering roofline, and it has the more car-like nose of the Continental. It's long and elegant from most every angle, and it does have rear-drive proportions that make it look quite upscale. There are neat nods to Lincoln's brand and history. There are two grilles that feature either cutouts in the shape of the Lincoln badge, or raised studs in the same shape. The Grand Touring model, which comes with the hybrid powertrain, has blue highlights in the badging the company says are matched to the badges of vintage V12 Lincolns. One curious feature is the door handles. They're like the Continental's handles, which have an electronic button on the inside — the handles are just handles, they don't move. But they sit in normal positions and have a normal shape. A Lincoln representative said this was done to make sure the handles were low enough for short people or children to reach, which makes total sense, though the handles probably could have been made mechanical in that case.

The highlight of the Navigator's design is the interior. It's basically a scaled down version of the Navigator's interior — a very good thing, since the Navigator's interior is one of our favorites. It's got a lovely low, wide dash with plenty of wood, leather and chrome. It has both a very American and mid-century modern feel. The wood trims are all open-pore matte finish, and they're beautiful, but there's a machine-turned aluminum trim that may be the coolest. It features a perfect, unique grid of little machined circles. It's featured on the new Black Label theme called Flight, which is unsurprisingly focused on plane and aviation themes with a brown leather interior and the machine-turned aluminum. According to Lincoln, the perforations in the leather are based on airport landing lights. The Lincoln Aviator goes on sale in summer 2019. Pricing has yet to be announced, but expect it to be pricey considering its high-performance powertrain options. We would estimate somewhere between $55,000 and $65,000 for a starting price. That's a similar price range for the current X5 and the outgoing GLE-Class (the new model doesn't have pricing yet), which are also similar in size and performance. This price would also slot below Navigator comfortably, but is more than the aging MKT.

Source

Last edited by Hoovey689; 11-28-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 10:55 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

They did a good job on looks and power with this one.
Old 11-28-18, 10:57 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Great looking and a fantastic interior. I was surprised that it has the 3 liter engine rather than the 3.5 Ecoboost but it should be sufficient and the hybrid option sounds interesting. This is on Ford's newest platform and could be used for a RWD sedan if Lincoln ever wanted a new Town Car. Pricing may be an issue, but it is a competitor for the X5 and Q7 which also get very expensive. This certainly blows the XT5 out of the water.
Old 11-28-18, 10:57 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks like a mix of Ford and Land Rover to me. Are the side mirrors silver like what Audi does on the S line? Or do they match the paint exterior?
Old 11-28-18, 11:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

awesome! and oldcajun, if 400hp is only 'sufficient' we're in trouble.
Old 11-28-18, 11:26 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Do I see Lincoln using the same power seat control setup as MB in the interior pic where you can see the inside of the driver's door?
Old 11-28-18, 11:48 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Great looking and a fantastic interior. I was surprised that it has the 3 liter engine rather than the 3.5 Ecoboost but it should be sufficient and the hybrid option sounds interesting. This is on Ford's newest platform and could be used for a RWD sedan if Lincoln ever wanted a new Town Car. Pricing may be an issue, but it is a competitor for the X5 and Q7 which also get very expensive. This certainly blows the XT5 out of the water.
The FWD based XT5 shouldn't even be mentioned in this conversation or the RX. The Aviator is a bona fide RWD X5 / GLE competitor. It's also larger in size though I have not seen any specs on it. The XT5 for reference is a small 189.6 in in total length. The Aviator will be BIG

Last edited by Hoovey689; 11-28-18 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 03:18 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Until Cadillac produces the XT7, both the XT5 and RX350L will be cross shopped with the Aviator and Nautilus. My point was that the Aviator is dramatically better than either even though the price is likely higher. The 400 hp engine in the Continental (with the old 6 speed trans) is a 5.5 sec to 60 car. That is no longer fast in the modern luxury class. Hopefully, the new 10 speed trans will make up for the increased weight of the Aviator over the Continental.
Old 11-28-18, 03:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Until Cadillac produces the XT7, both the XT5 and RX350L will be cross shopped with the Aviator and Nautilus. My point was that the Aviator is dramatically better than either even though the price is likely higher. The 400 hp engine in the Continental (with the old 6 speed trans) is a 5.5 sec to 60 car. That is no longer fast in the modern luxury class. Hopefully, the new 10 speed trans will make up for the increased weight of the Aviator over the Continental.
XT5 seats 5, starts at $41,6XX, is FWD based, and 189" in length.
Nautilus seats 5, starts at $40,340 is FWD based, and 190" in length

X5 seats 5+, starts at $60,700, is RWD based, and 194" in length
GLE seats 5+, starts at $55,700, is RWD based, and 194" in length
Navigator starts at $73,205, is RWD based and 210" in length

Aviator will seat 5+, start $53-59K, RWD based, and likely 194"-197" in length.

The XT5 will be cross-shopped with the Nautilus for sure. But the Aviator is a class above. It better be dramatically better than the Caddy and Lexus. But then it's aimed straight at the Germans stalwarts.

---

Love love love the exterior styling. Mom wants to replace her '08 RX with a truck or new Explorer. I'm going to pitch the Aviator, my goodness it's gorgeous.
Old 11-28-18, 05:21 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful, beautiful vehicle and it's looking like a home run for Lincoln in its segment. 600 lb/ft of torque? That's a crazy number and a win for hybrid fans because you get everyday instantaneous torque and still have the 450 hp to use up for highway manuevers. Beautiful color in that blue too. Range Rover styling cues but still very distinctive so there shouldn't be mistaking this for a RR product.

You can see where Ford/Lincoln are allocating their design and engineering dollars right now.

Last edited by MattyG; 11-28-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 11:02 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm loving this. Spent last night and this morning looking at all the early pictures from the reveal here at the LA Auto Show. The ONLY thing I don't like so far is that it's likely all models will come with air suspension. For someone like me, who either buys used or keeps the car for a long period of time, it's just another expensive fix WHEN it fails (not IF it fails).
Old 11-29-18, 11:11 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

After looking at this and the Hyundai Palisade online the last 24 hours, I think I'd pick the Hyundai.
Old 11-29-18, 11:17 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Not my cup of tea but I think they did a great job on this thing.
Old 11-29-18, 11:25 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Lincoln did a awesome job on this SUV. Should be competitive with many vehicles in the midsize three row luxury SUV market. Some will shun it because of the Lincoln name badge. But I suspect it will be a hot seller for them.
Old 11-29-18, 01:56 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Great job by Lincoln!

Hopefully they don’t go crazy with pricing and make it $5-10k cheaper than X5 and GLE.

Now they just need a proper RWD based sedan and a luxury coupe based on Mustang.

New design language is really impressive.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lincoln Aviator