Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Lincoln Aviator

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 03:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why do you need 400hp? Its a luxury car...you don't "need" lots of things about it.
I agree. Anyone spending this much money on luxury vehicle should be getting high horsepower ratings.
Old 12-13-18, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. Anyone spending this much money on luxury vehicle should be getting high horsepower ratings.
Not sure if you remember or not, Jill, but, for years, Rolls-Royce was famous for using the word "Adequate" in their official HP/Torque ratings. They refused to publish any numbers. That changed, of course, when BMW got a controlling interest in the brand, and started using some of their own engines.
Old 12-13-18, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you need 400hp? Its a luxury car...
Tell that to Cadillac. They originally stuck in a base 2.0T under the hood of their CT6 flagship. While the 2.0T is not a slouch (it produces good power for its size) I certainly wouldn't consider it an engine for a Caddy flagship. They have since pulled that engine from the American-spec CT6, but, as I understand it, are keeping it in the Chinese market.
Old 12-13-18, 04:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure if you remember or not, Jill, but, for years, Rolls-Royce was famous for using the word "Adequate" in their official HP/Torque ratings. They refused to publish any numbers. That changed, of course, when BMW got a controlling interest in the brand, and started using some of their own engines.
And guess what? Now they publish their numbers.

Tell that to Cadillac. They originally stuck in a base 2.0T under the hood of their CT6 flagship. While the 2.0T is not a slouch (it produces good power for its size) I certainly wouldn't consider it an engine for a Caddy flagship. They have since pulled that engine from the American-spec CT6, but, as I understand it, are keeping it in the Chinese market.
Cadillac is not an example of a company that is successful.
Old 12-13-18, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And guess what? Now they publish their numbers.
The point was, though, that even in the past, the power was clearly there...they didn't need to publish the figures. That, though, is not to imply that RRs were (or are) dragsters. They have a lot of power...but also a lot of weight.
Old 12-13-18, 05:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The point was, though, that even in the past, the power was clearly there...they didn't need to publish the figures. That, though, is not to imply that RRs were (or are) dragsters. They have a lot of power...but also a lot of weight.
I truthfully do not understand what you were trying to imply. My guess, older V12 Rolls Royce engines were not making (in proportion) the equivalent power of newer more modern V8s at the time.
Old 12-13-18, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I truthfully do not understand what you were trying to imply. My guess, older V12 Rolls Royce engines were not making (in proportion) the equivalent power of newer more modern V8s at the time.
Simple. In those days, RRs had power.....but did not feel the need to advertise. It ties in somewhat with Steve's earlier post about luxury cars having features that are often unneeded, but there. And, from what I've seen of today's vehicles, it's not just luxury cars, either....heck, there are are features on a 13-15K Kia Rio that I myself would probably never use, mostly in electronic infotainment systems.
Old 12-13-18, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The past is the past. Today they publish numbers, because consumers want numbers.
Old 12-13-18, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The past is the past. Today they publish numbers, because consumers want numbers.
The main reason is that they generally use BMW engines today. Most Rolls Royce buyers are of a different caliber than those buying Bentleys. Bentleys are more sport-oriented, their owners are more likely to drive them themselves, and therefore show more of an interest in power ratings.

Also, as far as "Consumers" wanting numbers, the average new-RR buyer can hardly be called a "Consumer"...he or she will usually be a celebrity, a Head of State, a Middle East prince, or, of course, British aristocracy.

I've never had the chance to drive a new RR, but I did get to sample an old classic (1957) one that belonged to the owner of a limo-firm that my ex-Flight Instructor, when he retired from flying, joined and drove for. Quite an experience from the right seat....with right-hand drive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-18 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 08:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

they generally use BMW engines today.
They use RR Specific versions of BMW engines. They were using BMW engines back when they described power as "adequate"

Also, as far as "Consumers" wanting numbers, the average new-RR buyer can hardly be called a "Consumer"...he or she will usually be a celebrity, a Head of State, a Middle East prince, or, of course, British aristocracy.
Of course they are consumers. If they buy something, they are a consumer. Everybody is a consumer.

And lots of RR owned by people who are none of the above. Guy down my street lives in a TH and he has a LWB Phantom.
Old 01-23-19, 11:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Configurator is up:
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-suvs/aviator/2020/

Standard - $51100
Reserve - $56190
Grand Touring (hybrid) - $68800
Black Label - $77695
Black Label Grand Touring (hybrid) - $87800
Old 01-23-19, 11:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Configurator is up:
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-suvs/aviator/2020/

Standard - $51100
Reserve - $56190
Grand Touring (hybrid) - $68800
Black Label - $77695
Black Label Grand Touring (hybrid) - $87800
Standard and Reserve seem very competitive for what you get
Old 01-23-19, 11:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Fully loaded Reserve as I would want it, Reserve II package and the air suspension, basically totally loaded just under $75k. That aint cheap, but its a lot of equipment for that money.
Old 01-23-19, 12:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

My build is $67k which is very good pricing.
Will come down to how they lease.

Either way they got a winner that will sell very well. This Aviator is a Million times better than the new XT6.
Old 01-23-19, 06:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This has me going back to once again thinking how high prices have climbed since mid-level SUV's first got going in the early 90's. The first Explorer started in the low $20k's. The Aviator was to be the fancy Explorer twin (after the Mercury Mountaineer), which was priced about $5-7k more. Now we are talking about an $88k "upgraded" Explorer. I just can't swallow it, regardless of the engine and equipment. But it is what it is and I envision it to be (somewhat) successful.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lincoln Aviator