Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 10:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default 2019 Lexus ES

I got to sit in another 19 ES350 today and drive it briefly (just around the block really, dealer was closed but luck would have it a salesman I know was there). This car was matador red outside flaxen inside, with the bamboo trim.

All in all I'm happy with the interior except for a few things:

1. I really don't like the new basic gauge cluster. Much prefer the classic Lexus gauge layout, or some sort of a full TFT setup where its more customizable.
2. There is a strange, deliberate pattern to the armrest material both in the center and on the doors. Its a strange striped type effect, which looks weird and is unnecessary IMHO, just calls attention to the fact these areas aren't really leather. Didnt notice this in the first one I sat in because the interior was black.
3. I don't like the plastic material around the window switches or the center console.
4. I thought the seats felt really narrow.
5. Really don't like the one uncovered cupholder.

Material quality is quite good for the segment. Hard plastics on the lower doors and lower dash, but its not as "in your face" as it was with the outgoing ES, and touchpoint are better, such as where your hand touches when you open the door. All in all doors, etc feel a little more solid than the outgoing car, but obviously still not LS level (or GS level). Love that the car now has a floor hinged gas pedal!

The car is very quiet, quieter than the outgoing ES but not as quiet as the LS. Ride is quite good, softer than the outgoing car while feeling more agile, which I'm sure is due to the new platform. Engine power is good and the V6 feels strong and smooth like the outgoing car. Theres no hiding its a FWD front biased car, doesn't feel really athletic in any way.

Inside it feels tighter than the outgoing car, roof feels lower like it does on the LS500, and rear legroom behind the drivers seat set for me felt tighter than the outgoing car too.

All in all, the car should do quite well, but as we've said before its certainly not a replacement for the GS, regardless of how well appointed an upper trim one would be.
Old 09-16-18, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I got to sit in another 19 ES350 today and drive it briefly (just around the block really, dealer was closed but luck would have it a salesman I know was there). This car was matador red outside flaxen inside, with the bamboo trim.

All in all I'm happy with the interior except for a few things:

1. I really don't like the new basic gauge cluster. Much prefer the classic Lexus gauge layout, or some sort of a full TFT setup where its more customizable.
2. There is a strange, deliberate pattern to the armrest material both in the center and on the doors. Its a strange striped type effect, which looks weird and is unnecessary IMHO, just calls attention to the fact these areas aren't really leather. Didnt notice this in the first one I sat in because the interior was black.
3. I don't like the plastic material around the window switches or the center console.
4. I thought the seats felt really narrow.
5. Really don't like the one uncovered cupholder.

Material quality is quite good for the segment. Hard plastics on the lower doors and lower dash, but its not as "in your face" as it was with the outgoing ES, and touchpoint are better, such as where your hand touches when you open the door. All in all doors, etc feel a little more solid than the outgoing car, but obviously still not LS level (or GS level). Love that the car now has a floor hinged gas pedal!

The car is very quiet, quieter than the outgoing ES but not as quiet as the LS. Ride is quite good, softer than the outgoing car while feeling more agile, which I'm sure is due to the new platform. Engine power is good and the V6 feels strong and smooth like the outgoing car. Theres no hiding its a FWD front biased car, doesn't feel really athletic in any way.

Inside it feels tighter than the outgoing car, roof feels lower like it does on the LS500, and rear legroom behind the drivers seat set for me felt tighter than the outgoing car too.

All in all, the car should do quite well, but as we've said before its certainly not a replacement for the GS, regardless of how well appointed an upper trim one would be.

Thanks for the update. Good to see that they are addressing the (mostly) cheap plastic and lightweight materials the last version had inside (though I admit the wood on the steering wheel was superb). Also good to see that they are keeping the 55-series tires on the base model.....that helps the ride comfort (too many of its competitors are going to 45-series). From the low noise level you describe, it also sounds like they addressed the relative lack of insulation in the last version......there were some customer complaints about that, though I did not find the ones I sampled to be that noisy. I don't like the way the new one looks at all, though...just as I don't like the new restyled Camry's looks either. Even apart from the spindle-grille, the rear end on the 2019 looks too short and rounded-down....IMO too much like a sport sedan, and not as elegant as the outgoing ES.
Old 09-16-18, 11:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

2. There is a strange, deliberate pattern to the armrest material both in the center and on the doors. Its a strange striped type effect, which looks weird and is unnecessary IMHO, just calls attention to the fact these areas aren't really leather. Didnt notice this in the first one I sat in because the interior was black. Fully agree. I didn't notice it on an F Sport I saw yesterday (black interior) but online pics show the lines are still there.
3. I don't like the plastic material around the window switches or the center console. Fully agree and commented on this as well. Looks cheap and draws attention to an otherwise really nice door panel (esp. w / ML speakers). Pic below.
4. I thought the seats felt really narrow. Was spot on for me. It's all the trend on the latest gen Lexus models though typically, they feel more narrow on F Sport due to the more aggressive bolstering.
5. Really don't like the one uncovered cupholder. Agree. Would have been nice to have a hinged and dampened cover like the prior gen found in the same spot.

Material quality is quite good for the segment. Hard plastics on the lower doors and lower dash, but its not as "in your face" as it was with the outgoing ES, and touchpoint are better, such as where your hand touches when you open the door. All in all doors, etc feel a little more solid than the outgoing car, but obviously still not LS level (or GS level). Love that the car now has a floor hinged gas pedal! Agree. Better overall and the glovebox door too is not hard plastic but a really nice soft-touch plastic almost like the door arm rest.

My gripe with the latest Lexus vehicles is that they are not class-leading in tech and performance and in some cases like the ES, not even the basics like heated rear seats that the Avalon offers. Thankfully, interiors are nicely styled, well built, with nice materials for their segment.

Old 09-16-18, 12:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

What I do like about the new ES door panels is that they have gone back to the window defog vent being on the door and not on the front dash. 2019 Avalon did not get this feature.
Old 09-16-18, 12:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

No mention of the gargantuan trunk!
Old 09-16-18, 01:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

My wife's first reaction was about the cargo net. Victim of the corporate bean counters?

Old 09-16-18, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the update. Good to see that they are addressing the (mostly) cheap plastic and lightweight materials the last version had inside (though I admit the wood on the steering wheel was superb). Also good to see that they are keeping the 55-series tires on the base model.....that helps the ride comfort (too many of its competitors are going to 45-series). From the low noise level you describe, it also sounds like they addressed the relative lack of insulation in the last version......there were some customer complaints about that, though I did not find the ones I sampled to be that noisy. I don't like the way the new one looks at all, though...just as I don't like the new restyled Camry's looks either. Even apart from the spindle-grille, the rear end on the 2019 looks too short and rounded-down....IMO too much like a sport sedan, and not as elegant as the outgoing ES.
It definitely looks sportier, and IMHO it actually looks smaller, although it isn't.

Agree. Better overall and the glovebox door too is not hard plastic but a really nice soft-touch plastic almost like the door arm rest.

That glove box door is the most padded thing in the interior actually haha. Its really padded! Glove box is TINY though.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I didn't think it looked that big actually...
Old 09-16-18, 02:18 PM
Hoovey689

I didn't think it looked that big actually...
Looks are deceiving. You can put 3 large suitcases in there and there's still room
Old 09-16-18, 02:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Cargo net is hilarious, I do remember when it used to stretch the whole way across. But anyway, that net was also a bit of a struggle for me, as it would get in the way of loading larger items, while also getting into a tangled mess if you remove it. I would much prefer Lexus to include shopping bag handles from the roof of the trunk, and maybe even the foldable cargo box that Mercedes now includes in all models
Old 09-16-18, 02:20 PM
Hoovey689

My wife's first reaction was about the cargo net. Victim of the corporate bean counters?
Hah so true. Sorry folks, adding CarPlay, Touchless trunk, AVS.. we gotta reduce the amount of material on your cargo net
Old 09-16-18, 02:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the write up and your impressions. Last week I took a brief look at the ES350 in the dealership showroom and came away a bit disappointed. I have/had a genuine interest in the ES as a possible replacement for our A6 but will need an extended look and test drive to see if my opinion changes. The car in the showroom had a Sold tag on it. I was considering the new Avalon too, but can't get past the grill.
Old 09-16-18, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, its in no way to the caliber of an A6...
Old 09-16-18, 02:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Speaking of the lines on the arm rest, I remember I heard somewhere and finally found it in Alex on Autos review.

At 16 minutes, he talks about how the lines were meant to mimic those of wood trim. Not sure if that was told to them in the press conference.
Old 09-16-18, 09:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the informative comments about the ES. I will check one this week in person.
So I mentioned in another ES thread the folds and creases on the leather and armrest looks pre-weathered, and therefor cheap. I am glad someone else sees that too. As the decades have slipped by, every now and then I have come across a time when an auto maker decides to throw in a new design feature that is all new, but ends up mimicking something unintentional. I think a true car person who has spent decades studying auto trends and appearances can see these similarities. But a recent hired designer out of college often has no connection to the past, plus a lack of experience. Anyone who lived through the 70's can see what cracked and torn leather looks like after 12 years of hard use. To introduce a brand new spotlight car that mimics such a flaw is embarrassing, but it happens more than one would think.
Old 09-16-18, 11:45 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, its in no way to the caliber of an A6...
Actually, if you look at the base A6 which is the largest seller here, the ES350 competes quite well. The base A6 has a 4 cyl. engine, front wheel drive, and costs about $51,000. It has 2" less rear seat leg room than the ES and 2 cu ft less trunk space. For the price of the base A6, you could get an ES350 UL with lots more equipment, faster acceleration, more room, quieter interior, and better reliability.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES