Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 08:33 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
switching gears ...

alex on autos just posted some pics of a new altima... reminded me a lot of this new ES !

Arguably, the hexagonal licence plate surround, and the protubering upper line angle of the tail lights are similar to the 4.5GS?
These days, it is normal for manufacturers cheat off each other.
The following image has been flipped to make comparison easier.

7ES is an evolution, with a swoopy sexy ****.
However, I'm not into those long FWD nose cones any more.

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-22-18 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 08:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,548 Likes on 1,823 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
So you agreed with him only to disagree with him lol.
Well he did make a good point - traditionally a "driver's car" is more focused on providing enjoyment to the driver than it is on providing comfort or amenities.

Curious about the Altima. I would think the Maxima would be a more natural ES alternative, given it's a bit more premium than the Altima.
Old 09-21-18, 09:03 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Totally agree. I enjoy driving my new GX460 more than the GS. Sure the GS will run circles around it, but the GX has more personality and I love driving it. Is isnt fast, its heavy, "old school" and 5 stories high, but it handles nicely has a smooth demeanor and finesse that the GS lacks. And the thing can fit 7 peoples, granted we are all Asians, and just makes the drive that much more fun. Not everything has to be 0-60mph in .8 nanoseconds and pull 100g around a skidpad to be enjoyable to drive or make someone wants to drive it.
So you agreed with him only to disagree with him lol.
I'm not sure what does being Asian have to do with fitting 7 people?

But back on topic - I do understand what you are saying. "Fun" is subjective. And being a car enthusiasts comes in many forms. But I wasn't agreeing with him to disagree with him. We are talking about two different things here. I was strictly talking about what's a "driver's car" and what is a "driver's car" suppose to be - not what a "car enthusiast" is.

I still maintain - a "driver's car" is a car that thrills the drive and focus on driving above all else. Why else would it be called a "driver's car"?
I just believe claiming a comfortable, dull experiencing car to be a "driver's car" is like claiming microwavable dinners as cooking.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 09-21-18 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

I still maintain - a "driver's car" is a car that thrills the drive and focus on driving above all else. Why else would it be called a "driver's car"?
I just believe claiming a comfortable, dull experiencing car to be a "driver's car" is like claiming microwavable dinners as cooking.
Not at all. You tied in RWD and FWD, I see no reason to pay extra for RWD. For us, we would never ever desire one anymore, which is party why I said the ES has a better design than the LS. A comfortable and as you say “dull” experience can be very rewarding.
Old 09-21-18, 09:13 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not at all. You tied in RWD and FWD, I see no reason to pay extra for RWD. For us, we would never ever desire one anymore, which is party why I said the ES has a better design than the LS. A comfortable and as you say “dull” experience can be very rewarding.
I never said a comfortable and dull experience isn't rewarding. Driving a Lexus LS is quite rewarding. Its relaxing and beautiful. But is it a "driver's car"? No.

I said a comfortable and dull experience can't be a "driver's car".
Old 09-21-18, 10:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Arguably, the hexagonal licence plate surround, and the protrubering upper line angle of the tail lights are similar to the 4.5GS?
yes i did think that new altima rear looks like a gs.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-23-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 10:17 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm not sure what does being Asian have to do with fitting 7 people?

But back on topic - I do understand what you are saying. "Fun" is subjective. And being a car enthusiasts comes in many forms. But I wasn't agreeing with him to disagree with him. We are talking about two different things here. I was strictly talking about what's a "driver's car" and what is a "driver's car" suppose to be - not what a "car enthusiast" is.

As in we arent as tall or burger loving.
Old 09-21-18, 10:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Arguably, the hexagonal licence plate surround, and the protrubering upper line angle of the tail lights are similar to the 4.5GS?
These days, it is normal for manufacturers cheat off each other.
The following image has been flipped to make comparison easier.
Well, I have a new favorite word...
Old 09-21-18, 10:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Nobody wants the ES to be a "driver's car" and it was never intended to be one. The LS was never intended to be one as well. The GS was supposed to be that and nobody bought it after 3yrs on the market, same with the RC and LC.
Old 09-21-18, 12:58 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

As in we arent as tall or burger loving.
That's very, very racial stereotyping... and possibly a racist thing to say.

You should have said, "Our GX fits 7 because my family and I aren't tall people." By removing "family and I aren't tall people" and put in Asian. You are playing on the racial stereotype that all Asians are short.

Nobody wants the ES to be a "driver's car" and it was never intended to be one. The LS was never intended to be one as well. The GS was supposed to be that and nobody bought it after 3yrs on the market, same with the RC and LC.
I never said people want the ES to be a "driver's car" and I know it was never intended to me. I know the LS was never intended to be one as well.

I was stating - that the Lexus LS while its a relaxing and amazing car to drive due to its luxurious nature, its not a "driver's car". This was point I was making because people are claiming a "driver's car" can be comfortable, boring and dull.
Old 09-22-18, 06:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,140 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Interesting Indian review

2018 Lexus ES 300h | First Drive Review | Autocar…: https://youtu.be/OIPgkZMRzKA
Old 09-22-18, 07:21 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts