Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

Do you have a source for this AWD info?
info was shared on dealer conference few months ago, old news by now... it is coming.

Even Prius is getting e-four version... they are going all up on sedans to make them more attractive vs competition. It is going to be fun.

I dont think ES300h e-four is anything too important unless you live in snow area, but ES350 AWD will be nice performance upgrade for the vehicle...

Last edited by spwolf; 09-19-18 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 05:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
info was shared on dealer conference few months ago, old news by now... it is coming.

Even Prius is getting e-four version... they are going all up on sedans to make them more attractive vs competition. It is going to be fun.

I dont think ES300h e-four is anything too important unless you leave in snow area, but ES350 AWD will be nice performance upgrade for the vehicle...
Very well said. Thank you!
Old 09-18-18, 06:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I agree at this point, AWD is coming.
Old 09-18-18, 10:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd be shocked if they added AWD halfway into the life of this ES. I can't recall a time any manufacturer has added it during a refresh or two years in. It is almost always added when a model is totally redesigned. This is all due to tooling cost and marketing. What we see today, the FWD, is likely going to be it unless Lexus decides to do something rare and drastic.

Old 09-18-18, 11:01 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I dont think ES300h e-four is anything too important unless you leave in snow area, but ES350 AWD will be nice performance upgrade for the vehicle...
Again - can I please have the source for this? If info was shared on at a dealer conference, why isn't there any articles related to it? Or maybe I just can't find it?

Honestly - though. I'll believe it when I see it.

Like Fizzy mentioned:
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'd be shocked if they added AWD halfway into the life of this ES. I can't recall a time any manufacturer has added it during a refresh or two years in. It is almost always added when a model is totally redesigned. This is all due to tooling cost and marketing. What we see today, the FWD, is likely going to be it unless Lexus decides to do something rare and drastic.
I would totally believe it if they add AWD next generation. Its more believable a car company adds AWD during a refresh or a full redesign to draw up the hype and marketing.
Old 09-19-18, 03:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be shocked if they added AWD halfway into the life of this ES. I can't recall a time any manufacturer has added it during a refresh or two years in. It is almost always added when a model is totally redesigned..
Regardless of what anyone will say. Lexus LS460 did not have it in the first model year or years.
Old 09-19-18, 06:13 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Regardless of what anyone will say. Lexus LS460 did not have it in the first model year or years.
I guess we can follow what Toyota does with the Avalon line up. Success will have it on the ES350 soon.
Old 09-19-18, 06:34 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Multiple salesmen at multiple dealerships told me the AWD option is coming to the ES in mid cycle refresh and the GS will be dropped when I was shopping for my GX 2 weeks ago. Can we trust car salesmen? Probably not, but when a few of them echos the same thing, it adds some credibility. It just makes all the sense in the world to have that option at the end of the day.
Old 09-19-18, 07:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
I guess we can follow what Toyota does with the Avalon line up. Success will have it on the ES350 soon.
or the Avalon just completely tanks and gets canceled. I guess things could change but I think everyone is going to be wanting awd in the northern states and in Canada. I mentioned earlier that the Altima will only come awd in Canada, Lexus GS and LS are only awd in Canada as well. Makes sense for the Avalon and ES IMO as the prices have gone up.
Old 09-19-18, 07:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

it starts production in 3 months in Japan... unless they do major redesign next year, I doubt that is halfway into life? .

Old 09-19-18, 08:01 AM
Bercz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I do like about the new ES door panels is that they have gone back to the window defog vent being on the door and not on the front dash. 2019 Avalon did not get this feature.
...announcing with pride: My 1992 SC 400 did get this feature.
Lexus has steer independently and not carry over Toyotas patterns.
Old 09-19-18, 08:49 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

So, overall, what is your favorite ES generation, Steve?
Old 09-19-18, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
If you don't mind me butting in, Josh, I'd say the fourth, hands-down, despite its quirky throttle-by-wire system and the way it integrates with the transmission. Best interior, best wood-paneling, best overall styling, and probably the quietest ride, though the sweep-up headlights on the sides of the hood look a little awkward.
Old 09-19-18, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Got a chance to see the new ES350 and F sport. I like the F sport more and it’s better looking. There is some agreement about some materials but I think it hits the price point correctly. I would the say the fit and finish are about the same as the higher spec Camry. Shifter felt the same. I would say the interior is more luxurious than the new Avalon as it should be

I do agree that the plastic at the window switches feels cheap. The Corolla Matrix has glossy and the tips are crome. The seats in the F sport are so nice! Much nicer than the regular ES. strange the f sport has for/aft adjustments while the ultra level ES does not.

Some lovely wood wood in the ES.

Was able sit on the LS immediately to compare. Yes materials in LS are somewhat nicer however the price was twice the cost. Interior feels roomier in the ES than LS. Also found the seating position lower in the ES and seats in the F sport were better than the LS.

Although I do not love the ES gauge cluster. I am willing to accept it far more than I am in the LS.

In the back seat of the ES luxury with doors closed you can hear a word for word conversation 15 feet away.

Personally, I don’t see a GS making sense with the F sport ES.
I got a laugh from this, thanks
Old 09-19-18, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
From an overall enjoyment standpoint, I would say the 7th generation.

From a quality standpoint, the 4th generation.

Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES