Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Lexus ES

Old 09-18-18, 09:25 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
so no AWD option again? IF the GS is going away I would think AWD should be an option for the ES.

F Sport looks great - but the grill on the h is hideous IMO....
Its likely they won't even do an AWD, in my opinion. The Lexus ES will be a hot seller regardless of AWD. Toyota will have to see a net profitable reason for them to AWD the Camry/Avalon and the ES. (They wouldn't AWD just the ES alone.)

All the non F-Sport grilles are ugly.
Old 09-18-18, 09:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Its likely they won't even do an AWD, in my opinion. The Lexus ES will be a hot seller regardless of AWD. Toyota will have to see a net profitable reason for them to AWD the Camry/Avalon and the ES. (They wouldn't AWD just the ES alone.)

All the non F-Sport grilles are ugly.
I was informed Camry, Avalon, ES all get awd around 2021 model years. It’s not the same type of awd as GS which was more mechanical Torsen based

In Canada market, the Nissan Altima will be awd only. So Camry will indeed follow.
Old 09-18-18, 10:35 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My guess is that the ES350 will get AWD as an option in the near future. Toyota already has the tech for the transverse V-6 AWD and another $2000 option looks like a money maker. For the ES300h, we might see an electric AWD system like the RX450h. Even less of a technical or manufacturing challenge.

It won't make much difference here in Arizona - even AWD RX350s tend to require special order.
Old 09-18-18, 10:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My guess is that the ES350 will get AWD as an option in the near future. Toyota already has the tech for the transverse V-6 AWD and another $2000 option looks like a money maker. For the ES300h, we might see an electric AWD system like the RX450h. Even less of a technical or manufacturing challenge.

It won't make much difference here in Arizona - even AWD RX350s tend to require special order.
It will be out in few months... at least full info on it, I think production in Japan starts December.

I would guess that in the case of ES350 AWD, it would be a performance upgrade. I know that for Camry, they are going to treat it as performance upgrade so might be available as F-Sport or something like that. For $2k, it is a no brainer.
Old 09-18-18, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
It will be out in few months... at least full info on it, I think production in Japan starts December.

I would guess that in the case of ES350 AWD, it would be a performance upgrade. I know that for Camry, they are going to treat it as performance upgrade so might be available as F-Sport or something like that. For $2k, it is a no brainer.
Was mentioned that for Toyota it would be TRD. Camry and avalon.
Old 09-18-18, 10:54 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

huge trunk?
useless without fold down seats

it's like they do that on purpose so you'll buy an SUV
Old 09-18-18, 11:00 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Should be called "All-Trac" if they implement the AWD systems. Someone mentioned it on this on Lexus Enthusiast.
Old 09-18-18, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
huge trunk?
useless without fold down seats

it's like they do that on purpose so you'll buy an SUV
Agreed. Cost cutting maybe.
Old 09-18-18, 11:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
Should be called "All-Trac" if they implement the AWD systems. Someone mentioned it on this on Lexus Enthusiast.
I love the moniker but All-Trac is or more accurately was a Toyota thing.
Old 09-18-18, 12:53 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was informed Camry, Avalon, ES all get awd around 2021 model years. It’s not the same type of awd as GS which was more mechanical Torsen based

In Canada market, the Nissan Altima will be awd only. So Camry will indeed follow.

Well - just because the competition has it doesn't mean they'll do it. I'll believe it when I see it.
Originally Posted by spwolf

Do you have a source for this AWD info?
Old 09-18-18, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well - just because the competition has it doesn't mean they'll do it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Do you have a source for this AWD info?

why it so difficult for you to believe it?
Old 09-18-18, 01:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I work at a Lexus dealership and we have a few of the new ES350's in stock. I think it's a better looking car than the past few ES' but the interior felt cheap in some areas such as the upper door panels. It feels sportier and the F-Sport model looks great.

We had a white on red F-Sport model and it was very cool looking. I do feel like the GS is a better vehicle and hope it doesn't get killed off.

According to an article I read, only models produced after October can use Apple Carplay. I get asked about Carplay but nobody has tested it yet at our dealership.
According to cars.com, CarPlay will be on early models with navigation, but not on models without until October builds reach the dealers.

There are caveats regarding both Apple CarPlay and the new Amazon Alexa connectivity when the ES launches. Lexus says that Apple CarPlay will be included initially on ES models equipped with optional navigation but not those without it until models built starting in October. With the car's launch scheduled for September, that means there will be some models that come without it. A representative said the vast majority of cars will be equipped with navigation, and those without it will number in the single-digit percentages of the 50,000 or so ES sedans Lexus expects to sell in the first year (a little journalist math tells us that's around 4,500 vehicles). Cars that come without Apple CarPlay cannot add it later. You'll be stuck without it, so if you find yourself at a dealership and aren't certain, test the system with your phone or look for the date of manufacture on a sticker on the driver's doorjamb.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-l...1420700230804/
Old 09-18-18, 02:05 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

why it so difficult for you to believe it?
I just don't believe much stuff that is said on a forum in general. At the end of the day - no one really knows whats going to happen besides Toyota.

That and also the AWD rumors started blowing up because of the rumors of the GS being cancelled. I promise you, if rumors of the GS being cancelled never existed, AWD ES rumors wouldn't exist. I think a lot of people want to see a AWD ES out of the fear of losing the GS or wanting the AWD ES to beat out the GS to make sure it stays cancelled.
Old 09-18-18, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't believe much stuff that is said on a forum in general. At the end of the day - no one really knows whats going to happen besides Toyota.

That and also the AWD rumors started blowing up because of the rumors of the GS being cancelled. I promise you, if rumors of the GS being cancelled never existed, AWD ES rumors wouldn't exist. I think a lot of people want to see a AWD ES out of the fear of losing the GS or wanting the AWD ES to beat out the GS to make sure it stays cancelled.
Fair enough. When my parents were buying their Avalon, salesperson said it would be available after two model years. Avalon, ES and Camry. Toyota has 100% confirmed that the Avalon platform has the built in capacity to add awd. This was done at the Avalon launch.
Old 09-18-18, 02:59 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Fair enough. When my parents were buying their Avalon, salesperson said it would be available after two model years. Avalon, ES and Camry. Toyota has 100% confirmed that the Avalon platform has the built in capacity to add awd. This was done at the Avalon launch.
It is true. The GA-K platform has AWD ability. Also - Toyota said that the GA-K platform has the ability to add AWD. The thing is - they never said they'll do it. They just said the platform can do it. That's the difference.

Besides - a lot of stuff gets said at these launches that just makes me question things sometimes. I mean - at the Lexus ES launch - they claimed the Lexus ES competes with the C-Class and 3 Series. (Which doesn't make any sense at all because the C-Class and 3 Series are sport luxury sedans that are small and RWD.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Lexus ES