Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bumped into car backing up. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 08:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Huh?!?

If you guys truly would just respond to somebody damaging your car with "Hey buddy, you got $7 for some touch up paint?" good for you. I am not however unreasonable in wanting my car repaired properly if its damaged by you. If I go to my body shop of choice and they say its $1,200 to replace the bumper cover and repaint, then thats what it is. You can pay it or your insurance company can pay it, I don't care. Bottom line is, if you damage my property you will pay it whether you want to or not. Thats not being unreasonable, sorry. There will be no fight either, I have the right to have my car repaired wherever I want, and if thats what my shop charges, thats what it is.

This is not just a scratch, the cover is torn and creased, which is what requires the cover to be replaced. If it was just the scratch in the first picture, thats about a $600 repair, done right.

This kind of response is why personally if somebody asks me "Hey man, can we do this on our own and not go through insurance?" my response would be no.
Definitely if I ran into you rather than get into a philosophical debate, I would offer my insurance info. I haven't done anything wrong except to have poor judgement in backing up, and I have absolutely nothing to hide, with $100 deductibles (dunno why but I save little going up to $500). And yes, I would definitely leave a note on your car, it's the right thing to do.
Old 04-14-18, 09:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Definitely if I ran into you rather than get into a philosophical debate, I would offer my insurance info. I haven't done anything wrong except to have poor judgement in backing up, and I have absolutely nothing to hide, with $100 deductibles (dunno why but I save little going up to $500). And yes, I would definitely leave a note on your car, it's the right thing to do.
Of course not, it was just an accident. I've been backed into multiple times by people, no reason to be upset or rude it happens. What I took issue with was the person above who was suggesting to the OP that they tell the person they hit how lucky they were that it was he who hit them, and that they should be happy with some touch up paint since their car is so worn. Thats just a ridiculous way to handle this situation, its insulting to the party you're supposed to be appealing to and if it happened to me I'd hang up and call the police for a report like I said and sic my insurance company on them and be done with it.

This situation calls for humility on the part of the party who caused the damage, not the opposite.
Old 04-14-18, 09:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I just thought of something that may be reality as well. I was at the post office and waiting for my wife (this was like 2009), and a woman in a Honda Civic slams her door into mine. I got out and right away she's goes, "What?!" I politely say you hit my door when you opened yours. "She goes so what? If you don't like it, call the police." I did, they came. I told them what happened, she said she doesn't think she did, showed them where it dented my door (cars hadn't moved), and cop said I didn't see it, nothing we can do. I called her bluff, I lost. This is probably why more than 50% would not leave a note. Then again, in 2018, there are dash cams, I don't think there were in 2009. This also made me think of an incident in Manhattan where my dad backed into a car behind him. I was a kid and I told him dad if you did that to me, I'm suing you. He laughed, why? I said because my neck hurts and you damaged my bumper. He told me, why are you getting so upset? This is a big city and things happen. You just have to take responsibility and not get so upset about things. I was like 10 I think, but first thing out of my mouth was sue lol
Old 04-14-18, 12:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I will agree with that commendation. I've always been a firm believer that honesty was the best policy.
This is what we've become as a society. Doing the "right" thing has become so unexpected, that praise is heaped on those that act as they should act. It's a shame.
Old 04-14-18, 01:07 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

The other thing is everybody has a price, in which they would lose their integrity. The people on a Lexus forum? Pretty high I would imagine. Would you commit fraud for $100? No. $1 mil.? Highly doubt it. $50 mil.? Not likely $1 billion? uh oh, maybe? lol

What are we talking about when we say, "insurance." I had a perfect record for 15 years, then I get into an accident with a BMW loaner. so my co. had to pay the dealership. I know for a fact that lizard co. used aftermarket on a brand new car, so that's not making them whole, and I wouldn't like it myself. My insurance for 2 cars was around $700 per 6 mos. at the time. After the accident? $900 or so. So $400/yr. for 3 years down the drain. Believe me, I care, but would I be dishonest over $400/yr.? Of course not. If I backed into somebody, they're entitled to be fixed. Maybe it's best to let the insurance co. decide what that is, this way, we don't have to think about it and we don't have to argue nor even care. That's what the insurance is in place, for.

If they want insurance info, of course give it to therm. Always do the right thing. We're in a climate today where people seem to lie and cheat all the time with little to gain, and they do it like it's nothing. Don't be that way, be yourself, be truthful, and rock on!

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-14-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just thought of something that may be reality as well. I was at the post office and waiting for my wife (this was like 2009), and a woman in a Honda Civic slams her door into mine. I got out and right away she's goes, "What?!" I politely say you hit my door when you opened yours. "She goes so what? If you don't like it, call the police." I did, they came. I told them what happened, she said she doesn't think she did, showed them where it dented my door (cars hadn't moved), and cop said I didn't see it, nothing we can do. I called her bluff, I lost. l
I had a similar situation, I had a guy open his door into the Pacifica and leave a huge dent while I was pulling ahead straight out of a space. I got out and confronted him and he did give me his insurance info, I took pictures and all and left, called it into his insurance company. After admitting fault to me on the scene he told his insurance company it was my fault, that I "drove into his already open door". Of course after an "investigation" his company sided with him. PDR was $350, I just had it fixed and moved on.
Old 04-14-18, 08:04 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndaleFish
Also, I am reading on other forums and people say to contact insurance immediately to inform them what has happened and that it will not affect my driving record at this point. Is this true?
If you have a decent ins co, and years of a solid driving record, then yes. If you have a crappy company, or are a newer driver, or have had numerous incidents, then your rates will likely be affected.
Old 04-14-18, 08:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

I just thought of something that may be reality as well. I was at the post office and waiting for my wife (this was like 2009), and a woman in a Honda Civic slams her door into mine. I got out and right away she's goes, "What?!" I politely say you hit my door when you opened yours. "She goes so what? If you don't like it, call the police." I did, they came. I told them what happened, she said she doesn't think she did, showed them where it dented my door (cars hadn't moved), and cop said I didn't see it, nothing we can do. I called her bluff, I lost. This is probably why more than 50% would not leave a note. Then again, in 2018, there are dash cams, I don't think there were in 2009. This also made me think of an incident in Manhattan where my dad backed into a car behind him. I was a kid and I told him dad if you did that to me, I'm suing you. He laughed, why? I said because my neck hurts and you damaged my bumper. He told me, why are you getting so upset? This is a big city and things happen. You just have to take responsibility and not get so upset about things. I was like 10 I think, but first thing out of my mouth was sue lol
The cops are always going by he said/she said when you call them--unless there are witnesses. Most of the times, the point of calling the cops to fill out a report is to make sure that everyone has the other driver's info, to make sure that the situation doesn't escalate, and to have a written report in case one of the parties starts "remembering" the incident at a later date. It's not about calling a bluff, or winning or losing.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I had a similar situation, I had a guy open his door into the Pacifica and leave a huge dent while I was pulling ahead straight out of a space. I got out and confronted him and he did give me his insurance info, I took pictures and all and left, called it into his insurance company. After admitting fault to me on the scene he told his insurance company it was my fault, that I "drove into his already open door". Of course after an "investigation" his company sided with him. PDR was $350, I just had it fixed and moved on.
Case in point right here. If the cops came, maybe the other driver starts his BS story on the spot with the cops. But if not, and they have a report on file, if the other driver's story changes later on, there's a formal police report made contemporaneously with the incident that will discredit any later variation of the story.
Old 04-14-18, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Correct, and I would call the cops in a more serious accident. For just a door ding though, the cops have better things to do.
Old 04-14-18, 08:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Not really no.
About rates going up....

Not to take this even further OT but..

FWIW I backed my LS into my Yukon in my own driveway and completely wrecked the rear bumper, $2500 job (less $250 ded) I just got the car back yesterday.

Insurance adjuster told me my rates won't necessarily go up considering I've never filed a claim (with them at least) and since there was no other damage to anything else. He said it would (obviously) be a different story if it were a multiple car accident with injuries, etc.

So I'm just crossing my fingers, hoping not to get that dreaded letter in the mail, lol.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-14-18 at 08:21 PM.