Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bumped into car backing up. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 10:51 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumped into car backing up. Need advice.

I was on a hill and put car into reverse instead of drive. Slammed brakes but still bumped into car behind me. Lucky for me I was driving my piece of crap van that I don't care much about and not my Lexus but I roughed up the other car a little bit. If the people contact me (left a note & took pics) and want compensation I would like to pay out of pocket and not insurance if possible as I have a perfect record and would like to keep it that way. The damage was two scuffs to the front bumper and seems pretty minor but I have never been in any accidents and don't have much experience with this sort of thing. Can this simply be touched up or will the car need a whole new front bumper (it seems sometimes body shops will say this even though it is not necessary)? I'm willing to pay but I don't want to pay for more than I reasonably have to. If people with experience with this could give me some advice I would be very appreciative! The car is an Acura TSX 2011 or similar (I think).
I will post pics below.

Last edited by AndaleFish; 04-12-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 10:54 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Old 04-12-18, 10:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,552 Posts

How the repair is done will be up to the owner of the car you hit. If you don't agree with how they want it done then they will simply get insurance involved. You are at their mercy.
Old 04-12-18, 10:59 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Old 04-12-18, 11:13 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
How the repair is done will be up to the owner of the car you hit. If you don't agree with how they want it done then they will simply get insurance involved. You are at their mercy.
I know that. Does this look like it can be easily touched up? that's what I really want to know.
Thanks.
Old 04-12-18, 11:15 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Yeah, unfortunately, if you wish to keep it away from insurance, you'll just need to ask the other party if they will accept you paying for the damage. If yes, then they will go to their chosen repair shop to get an estimate and if the amount is agreeable, you move forward from there. It gets complicated by the fact that you don't know yet how reasonable the other party will be. Just be friendly and honest (sounds like you already have been) and tell them what happened and that you're willing to pay a reasonable amount to have it fixed without them going though insurance. Depending on their reply, take it from there. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply! The damage looks pretty minor to me like it can be a touch up job. but again I'm not entirely sure...
Old 04-12-18, 11:32 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Hopefully - the paint damage in the first pic looks like it might be touch-up-able (although, upon further review it looks like it might be slightly gouged), but the deformation shown in your second pic could prove more complicated - just depends on how picky the other party chooses to be.
Yup. Hopefully this can work out favorably for both parties.
Old 04-12-18, 11:45 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Also, I am reading on other forums and people say to contact insurance immediately to inform them what has happened and that it will not affect my driving record at this point. Is this true?
Old 04-12-18, 12:12 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

You're a pretty admirable and old-fashioned person, to leave a note. Hats off to you and I wish we had more folks like you around.

My wife got a 18" black scrape down her 1/4 panel and this was at a pre-school, to put things in perspective.

The damage is so minor, if it were me, I'd call you up and say exactly what I said on the first line, and call it a day. I was at a warehouse club and this woman reverses right into me at maybe 7 mph. She gets out and looks at her Honda, then tells me everything is ok, no damages (she didn't look at my car). I just controlled my temper and said wth am I going to do. And lucky it was my 1998 Maxima.
Old 04-12-18, 12:16 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

In CA, your driving record is affected (points assigned) when you are convicted of a traffic infraction (see here). So your driving record will most likely be fine, but when you inform insurance (file a claim), they will record the claim and that could impact your rates and any discounts you may currently be receiving.
I believe this is correct. If I had gotten a 52 in a 25, that would be 5 points. The points are for DMV purposes--6 points means mandatory suspension. The number 5 means nothing to insurance. In PA they are not allowed to surcharge based on one violation. The way around not being able to surcharge, is to remove discounts. The law should have said not allowed to surcharge or remove discounts, if they intended on the insurance co. not raising the rates after one violation. I went to court and it was changed to 30 in a 25, no points and not on driving record. Fine was still $120 in PA. Since not on driving record, no involvement with insurance or rates...
Old 04-12-18, 12:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bumped into someone before and told them to get a few estimates and I'd pay them directly - they took a picture of my drivers lic for my address and I later sent them a check.

I bumped into someone in a parking lot going <1mph and tried to do the same thing until they started claiming their neck was sore - I told them to contact my insurance co.
Old 04-12-18, 12:38 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I do not have advice but would caution you. This has happened to both my wife and my niece.

If you are not lucky, the other driver may take advantage to get major (read expensive) work done, like getting the whole bumper replaced, all on your dime.
Old 04-12-18, 01:01 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Guys thank you for your replies! Very helpfull!
Old 04-12-18, 01:22 PM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sulu
I do not have advice but would caution you. This has happened to both my wife and my niece.

If you are not lucky, the other driver may take advantage to get major (read expensive) work done, like getting the whole bumper replaced, all on your dime.
that’s what I’m worried about!
Old 04-12-18, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AndaleFish
I know that. Does this look like it can be easily touched up? that's what I really want to know.
Thanks.
A good scratch-remover (I personally like Scratch-Out, and it is only a few dollars per bottle) will take out any discoloration, scuffs, and surface paint problems and maybe, depending on the amount of paint-damage and how deep it is, make it look at least a little better. But if the damage is too deep into the paint, or all the way through the paint, the only effective way to get it all out is at a body-shop.

Quick Reply: Bumped into car backing up. Need advice.