Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bumped into car backing up. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 11:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by AndaleFish
Wow some really great feedback here. Thank you all who have complimented my good nature as it further makes me believe I did the right thing. I admittedly almost did not leave a note for the very reasons described here by other members. The thought of my honesty and desire to do the right thing being taken advantage of by some evil person (which clearly does happen!) made me sick to my stomach.
However what’s done is done and I can only hope for the best. I’m sure that the damage I did can be repaired rather than just replacing the whole bumper however I realize that your average non car person probably will not want the hassle and will just take it in and do whatever the body shop says. If the repair is closer to 800$ I will try to pay out of pocket and will definitely make some kind of written agreement but if it is more like 1200$ I will just have my insurance cover it. I’m sure my rates will go up as I am under 25 yo even though it’s just one minor accident however I will call them and find out. Good to know it will not be on my driving record though.
You're under 25? Congratulations. Your parents must have taught you well, and taught you to make good decisions (wth am I teaching my 4 y.o. I have no idea!). As a general rule, you won't be worse off when you do what's right. I was judging you by your actions, and thought you were much older, maybe 40 years older! lol
Old 04-13-18, 11:46 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You did the right thing, and should continue to do the right thing.
Thanks, I will try my hardest haha. I do have to live with myself after all.
Old 04-13-18, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I want to commend you for leaving a note and taking responsibility for your mistake. When my car was hit while parked last year, the person did not leave a note. Sadly, I think most people wouldn’t.
I will agree with that commendation. I've always been a firm believer that honesty was the best policy.
Old 04-13-18, 11:57 AM
AndaleFish
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:
Originally Posted by Johnhav430
You're under 25? Congratulations. Your parents must have taught you well, and taught you to make good decisions (wth am I teaching my 4 y.o. I have no idea!). As a general rule, you won't be worse off when you do what's right. I was judging you by your actions, and thought you were much older, maybe 40 years older! lol
Thanks man! I think I may a bit more sensitive than others my age. BTW what ever happened with the two million dollar insurance claim? That must have been one hell of a headache at 19 years old
Old 04-13-18, 01:07 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AndaleFish
:
Thanks man! I think I may a bit more sensitive than others my age. BTW what ever happened with the two million dollar insurance claim? That must have been one hell of a headache at 19 years old
haha put it this way, I was a pizza delivery man, and a student tried to grab my pies (he wanted it free and I said no I'll give you $3 off) and they all fell to the ground so there was an altercation. I got back to the shop, and was told public safety called and want you to go back there and talk to them. I did, never heard anything again for almost 2 years, and one day in a lecture center I got served with papers. A great lesson I learned--I had an atty that I knew and she told me you are going to get a call from the insurance carrier on a recorded line, and they will be very nice to you and try to make you think they are on your side. They are not. It will boil down to this--if they can prove your actions were wilful and not according to the co. policy, you will be on your own to deal with the lawsuit. If your actions were negligent or anything else, they are on the hook. So tell the truth, and answer to the point as best you can, do not offer any subjective comments, etc. So I did what she said and never heard back again. I assume they settled for some % of the 2 mil. I looked the guy up on linkedin and he is the ceo of a co hahahahaha figures. I emailed my buddy the guy's bio and he goes are you joking? The guy is a level IV hockey coach and flies planes, what are you buddy?

My dad really believed that if you did nothing wrong, don't worry, if you did do something, then you should worry.....kind of true...
Old 04-13-18, 02:53 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The paint is broke not the bumper cover so it is repairable not needed to be replaced. There is no way any damage underneath to the actual bumper, they are rated at 20 to 25 mph before absorbing impact . Can it be touched up, yes, but that's not the original state the paint was in. To do the job correctly the bumper cover needs to come off and the whole thing needs to be prepped and sprayed. Looking at it the vehicle is not in perfect condition . If it was me and they called, I would say , Hey I did the right thing by leaving a note, I bumped into your bumper and could of left, nothing was broken or cracked the extent of the damage can be touched up with 6 dollars of paint the car has wear and tear on other areas. No one was hurt or injured thankfully. If I caused more damage and wasn't a honest person you would be talking to your insurance company right now and not me, and looking at paying a deductible , illmgive you $500 cash which is more than reasonable.
Old 04-14-18, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
The paint is broke not the bumper cover so it is repairable not needed to be replaced. There is no way any damage underneath to the actual bumper, they are rated at 20 to 25 mph before absorbing impact . Can it be touched up, yes, but that's not the original state the paint was in. To do the job correctly the bumper cover needs to come off and the whole thing needs to be prepped and sprayed. Looking at it the vehicle is not in perfect condition . If it was me and they called, I would say , Hey I did the right thing by leaving a note, I bumped into your bumper and could of left, nothing was broken or cracked the extent of the damage can be touched up with 6 dollars of paint the car has wear and tear on other areas. No one was hurt or injured thankfully. If I caused more damage and wasn't a honest person you would be talking to your insurance company right now and not me, and looking at paying a deductible , illmgive you $500 cash which is more than reasonable.
Haha. Are you kidding?!?

Bottom line, he hit the other persons car. He's at fault, him trying to be hard lined to the other party isn't going to do him any good at all. If this happened to me, and the person who hit me called me and behaved that way, I would call the police and file a police report #1, provide them the letter which is proof of acceptance of fault and liability. Then I would call my insurance company, report the claim to my company, provide them the letter and let them handle it. They will repair my car, charge me a deductible sure, but then they WILL go after the other party and subrogate against their insurance recovering the cost and my deductible and I will be made whole. Again, I have a police report, I have a letter from the other party admitting fault and accepting responsibility...its open and shut.

By asking the damaged party to accept a resolution that doesn't involve insurance you are asking them for a FAVOR. If you want to ask for a favor and you want to be rude and make demands and tell them "how lucky they are it was you and that you didn't choose to break the law by leaving the scene", good luck getting the outcome you're looking for.

You damage somebody else's property through your own carelessness and you want to make demands at them?! Hilarious.

And yes, the bumper cover is cracked, its the second picture. To repair it right the cover should be replaced. Whether or not the damaged party's property is "worth" having repaired right is up to them. If they just want to get a $1,200 check from the OP or his insurance and not fix it, thats also their right.
Old 04-14-18, 07:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Haha. Are you kidding?!?

Bottom line, he hit the other persons car. He's at fault, him trying to be hard lined to the other party isn't going to do him any good at all. If this happened to me, and the person who hit me called me and behaved that way, I would call the police and file a police report #1, provide them the letter which is proof of acceptance of fault and liability. Then I would call my insurance company, report the claim to my company, provide them the letter and let them handle it. They will repair my car, charge me a deductible sure, but then they WILL go after the other party and subrogate against their insurance recovering the cost and my deductible and I will be made whole. Again, I have a police report, I have a letter from the other party admitting fault and accepting responsibility...its open and shut.

By asking the damaged party to accept a resolution that doesn't involve insurance you are asking them for a FAVOR. If you want to ask for a favor and you want to be rude and make demands and tell them "how lucky they are it was you and that you didn't choose to break the law by leaving the scene", good luck getting the outcome you're looking for.

You damage somebody else's property through your own carelessness and you want to make demands at them?! Hilarious.

And yes, the bumper cover is cracked, its the second picture. To repair it right the cover should be replaced. Whether or not the damaged party's property is "worth" having repaired right is up to them. If they just want to get a $1,200 check from the OP or his insurance and not fix it, thats also their right.
hope I never get too close to your car, my family could be homeless!
Old 04-14-18, 07:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Maybe we have somehow forgotten the obvious....car cos sell touch up paint! hahahahaha $1,200.....

My hood got chipped on the way to CT for a business trip, and it's moonlight pearl. Imagine if I had expensed a new hood. I just touched it up, with the base and mid coats, and called it a day.

Another lesson for the OP--sometimes it may seem like you made a mistake leaving a note, but it wasn't. You did what was right. My over under? the car owner is probably a normal person and appreciated the note. You may or may not ever hear from them. For them to sue you with neck pain is almost a 0% chance, almost.
Old 04-14-18, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

hope I never get too close to your car, my family could be homeless!
You wouldn't behave in the way the person I was responded to suggested the OP behaved, you would behave like the OP. If you or the OP asked me to do it outside of insurance and didn't hassle me about having it taken care of where I want and the right way, I'd have no problem.

Respond to me the way that was suggested above, and I'm going to get as much money out of you as I can yes
Old 04-14-18, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My hood got chipped on the way to CT for a business trip, and it's moonlight pearl. Imagine if I had expensed a new hood. I just touched it up, with the base and mid coats, and called it a day.
And that damage wasn't anybody's fault, so you decided to accept a partial repair which is your perogative.

However, if somebody damages my property its my right to have it restored to the condition it was in prior to the loss at whatever cost that is. If the party who damaged it doesn't want to shoulder that responsibility they shouldn't have damaged my property. I'm not going to put up with a substandard repair on a car I value because of someone else's carelessness.
Old 04-14-18, 07:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

And that damage wasn't anybody's fault, so you decided to accept a partial repair which is your perogative.

However, if somebody damages my property its my right to have it restored to the condition it was in prior to the loss at whatever cost that is. If the party who damaged it doesn't want to shoulder that responsibility they shouldn't have damaged my property. I'm not going to put up with a substandard repair on a car I value because of someone else's carelessness.
If I met up to you and you said that to me, I would simply give you my insurance info, end of story. Because you wouldn't feel "whole" without expensive replacements and extensive work. But what happens the next time the hood gets chipped? You'd be an emotional wreck just pulling out of your driveway!

To counter that "whole" concept, there's also "unjust enrichment." A scratch on 2006 cars, does not necessitate all kinds of body work.
Old 04-14-18, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I met up to you and you said that to me, I would simply give you my insurance info, end of story. Because you wouldn't feel "whole" without expensive replacements and extensive work. But what happens the next time the hood gets chipped? You'd be an emotional wreck just pulling out of your driveway!
Which is fine. Your insurance company will make me whole. No emotional wreck here, I just want my car fixed if you run into it. Car has a full clearbra I spent $1,700 on to avoid hood chips. Why should I say "screw it" and accept a partial repair of my car that I value the condition of because you carelessly damaged it? Just because you don't value the condition of your car like I do doesn't mean a hill of beans to me.

To counter that "whole" concept, there's also "unjust enrichment." A scratch on 2006 cars, does not necessitate all kinds of body work.
Having my car put back in the same condition as it was in before you damaged it is "unjust enrichment"? How?

Maybe a scratch on YOUR 2006 car doesn't necessitate "all kinds of body work" but if I had a 2006 car it would be in near perfect condition and I would require the same body repair as if it was a 2018 car.

When YOU damage MY property, the quality of the repair I will accept is not up to YOU, its up to me.

Moral of the story? Don't run into peoples cars. I've been driving for 20 years and I have never damaged anybody else's property with my car. (knock on wood). Not to say it couldn't happen, but if it did I would accept responsibility and repair the property the right way if thats what the owner wanted.

Not sure how we went from you praising the OP for their responsibility to you now saying people shouldn't be entitled to having their property fixed right when damaged by other peoples carelessness
Old 04-14-18, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Which is fine. Your insurance company will make me whole. No emotional wreck here, I just want my car fixed if you run into it. Car has a full clearbra I spent $1,700 on to avoid hood chips. Why should I say "screw it" and accept a partial repair of my car that I value the condition of because you carelessly damaged it? Just because you don't value the condition of your car like I do doesn't mean a hill of beans to me.

Having my car put back in the same condition as it was in before you damaged it is "unjust enrichment"? How?

Maybe a scratch on YOUR 2006 car doesn't necessitate "all kinds of body work" but if I had a 2006 car it would be in near perfect condition and I would require the same body repair as if it was a 2018 car.

When YOU damage MY property, the quality of the repair I will accept is not up to YOU, its up to me.

Moral of the story? Don't run into peoples cars. I've been driving for 20 years and I have never damaged anybody else's property with my car. (knock on wood). Not to say it couldn't happen, but if it did I would accept responsibility and repair the property the right way if thats what the owner wanted.

Not sure how we went from you praising the OP for their responsibility to you now saying people shouldn't be entitled to having their property fixed right when damaged by other peoples carelessness
No question the OP did the right thing. Zero.

What I'm saying is if some guy calls me up and says the scratch on his bumper is $1,200, just turn it over to insurance, period. Let them fight with the guy and resolve it. But if the guy called and said hey buddy thanks I'm surprised you would leave a note. Any chance you want to buy me touch up paint? I'd say hey I'll just send $50 as the paint probably is $11 like each tube was for my Lexus, if yours isn't a pearl no biggie just keep the rest, would that do it? If they said yes, done. The first scenario, to me, it's like a guy walking up to you asking you if you can spare money for the bus, and you ask how much, and they don't know.
Old 04-14-18, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What I'm saying is if some guy calls me up and says the scratch on his bumper is $1,200, just turn it over to insurance, period. Let them fight with the guy and resolve it. But if the guy called and said hey buddy thanks I'm surprised you would leave a note. Any chance you want to buy me touch up paint? I'd say hey I'll just send $50 as the paint probably is $11 like each tube was for my Lexus, if yours isn't a pearl no biggie just keep the rest, would that do it? If they said yes, done. The first scenario, to me, it's like a guy walking up to you asking you if you can spare money for the bus, and you ask how much, and they don't know.

Huh?!?

If you guys truly would just respond to somebody damaging your car with "Hey buddy, you got $7 for some touch up paint?" good for you. I am not however unreasonable in wanting my car repaired properly if its damaged by you. If I go to my body shop of choice and they say its $1,200 to replace the bumper cover and repaint, then thats what it is. You can pay it or your insurance company can pay it, I don't care. Bottom line is, if you damage my property you will pay it whether you want to or not. Thats not being unreasonable, sorry. There will be no fight either, I have the right to have my car repaired wherever I want, and if thats what my shop charges, thats what it is.

This is not just a scratch, the cover is torn and creased, which is what requires the cover to be replaced. If it was just the scratch in the first picture, thats about a $600 repair, done right.

This kind of response is why personally if somebody asks me "Hey man, can we do this on our own and not go through insurance?" my response would be no.

Quick Reply: Bumped into car backing up. Need advice.