Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would extrude honing be worth it

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 08:26 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Would extrude honing be worth it

I have been reading this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/846076-1998-2000-ls400-2001-2006-ls430-intake-manifold-extrude-hone-4.html

I have an LS430 and would be getting the same thing done, but the dyno graph in the beginning of the before run looks off does it seem like I would gain the 20hp & 50tq as stated in the after dyno runs? Would this be worth doing input would be appreciated, I have no problem spending the money I just want to make sure it is not a waste of time and money and will deliver the results.
Old 04-11-18, 10:17 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

well if it were ME i wouldn't bother, and having read through that (admittedly very interesting and thorough thread with great pics) thread, one thing i noticed that is never seen is the condition of the intake on the "before" graph. as you said the numbers on the before intake seem off, but the after run with a result of 241.6 whp almost lines up EXACTLY with the original 90s claim of 290 hp once a roughly 15-20% increase is added for RWD vehicles. 241.6 increased by 20% is exactly 289.92 so nothing out of the ordinary there.

all the improvements he describes (smoother idle, athletic acceleration, wheels spin easily in the rain) are things i can confidently say already experience and have experienced for years. i mean i literally don't see how my idle could improve... friends have genuinely asked me with a slightly puzzled look if the car was even running when we were at a red light with some relatively low music on. the original listed 0-60 time is 6.2 seconds i believe, and as the video evidence shows, i'm right on the money with my un-honed intake

this leads me to believe that the before runs either had an intake that was all caked up with crap or there was just something else going on. if mr. yodaone has any before or after acceleration footage that will definitely help show whether or not the before intake had an issue with its operation.

now if you want to spend very little $$ and definitely not really have any gains in HP i'd look up the "JBrady intake" that some have adopted. it honestly really does nothing for actual performance but it makes the intake sound really awesome and you can distinctly hear the butterfly valves opening. sounds almost like VTEC kicking in yo. i have some before and after footage on my channel if you're curious about the sound difference, but it's a really easy "mod." the only thing i'd suggest is finding a spare part on ebay or something so you always have the interchangeability instead of taking a dremel to your only intake filter plenum.
Old 04-12-18, 06:36 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well if it were ME i wouldn't bother, and having read through that (admittedly very interesting and thorough thread with great pics) thread, one thing i noticed that is never seen is the condition of the intake on the "before" graph. as you said the numbers on the before intake seem off, but the after run with a result of 241.6 whp almost lines up EXACTLY with the original 90s claim of 290 hp once a roughly 15-20% increase is added for RWD vehicles. 241.6 increased by 20% is exactly 289.92 so nothing out of the ordinary there.

all the improvements he describes (smoother idle, athletic acceleration, wheels spin easily in the rain) are things i can confidently say already experience and have experienced for years. i mean i literally don't see how my idle could improve... friends have genuinely asked me with a slightly puzzled look if the car was even running when we were at a red light with some relatively low music on. the original listed 0-60 time is 6.2 seconds i believe, and as the video evidence shows, i'm right on the money with my un-honed intake

https://youtu.be/JkQibJZSrDE

this leads me to believe that the before runs either had an intake that was all caked up with crap or there was just something else going on. if mr. yodaone has any before or after acceleration footage that will definitely help show whether or not the before intake had an issue with its operation.

now if you want to spend very little $$ and definitely not really have any gains in HP i'd look up the "JBrady intake" that some have adopted. it honestly really does nothing for actual performance but it makes the intake sound really awesome and you can distinctly hear the butterfly valves opening. sounds almost like VTEC kicking in yo. i have some before and after footage on my channel if you're curious about the sound difference, but it's a really easy "mod." the only thing i'd suggest is finding a spare part on ebay or something so you always have the interchangeability instead of taking a dremel
to your only intake filter plenum.
Thank you for taking time to read through that and I will be looking at the jbrady intake, thats why I asked the dyno numbers seem very off and it looks as if it was just carbon buildup which can be taken off with just walnut blasting for a fraction of the price.

I have done PPE headers, am getting a full exhaust done, have an injen intake with a custom made air duct so it gets cool air, I am just trying to find some more mods that will gain power but not sacrifice the drivability of my car.
Old 04-12-18, 07:40 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitabel
"Smoother idle": vivid imagination.
Thats what I was thinking the uz motors are perfectly balanced allready maybe his motor was heat soaked from driving or something on the before runs, thats why the dyno numbers dont match possibly?
Old 04-12-18, 08:49 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I think much (perhaps most) of this is just the good old Placebo Effect. You want it to work so by golly it does. Better idle, quicker starting, no white smoke, why you've even noticed your cholesterol numbers are down since doing this.

If the intake passages have some crud on the walls it can definitely affect full-throttle high-rpm numbers. Otherwise I suspect if there are engine issues it most likely can be traced to a faulty sensor somewhere.

On the other hand, it's fun to work on cars. Go for it, but I wouldn't expect miracles.
Old 04-12-18, 02:20 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
I think much (perhaps most) of this is just the good old Placebo Effect. You want it to work so by golly it does. Better idle, quicker starting, no white smoke, why you've even noticed your cholesterol numbers are down since doing this.
that's what's great about the JBrady intake, sounds more powerful so it's easy to fool yourself into thinking there's actually more power lol
Old 04-12-18, 10:10 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by riredale
The cholesterol thing had me dying lmao so the general consensus is this is a waste of $800-$1000 then. Any other suggestions for bolt on power adders would be appreciated, possibly GM coils with a msd ignotion?
Old 04-15-18, 10:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,419 Likes on 1,119 Posts

I had this done, at a shop on a 1999 SC400, I had a few years ago. The Dyno gain was 22hp. Don't remember what the tq gain was but is was good too. It worked for me. Sorry I no longer have the car or the sheet anymore.

I had Exhaust Mods, the BFI Intake mod and other things, Like ZEX Nitrous 100 shot. The 22hp was without NOS spray. Port matching the Gasket and runners also helps a lot. I was also running a Unichip ECU Piggyback. But the 22hp was from the difference of Ported intake vs not ported alone. It worked for me.

A Buddy of mine who also had a 99 SC400 had his done by someone at a Shop on a flow bench. The shop told him that the flow improvement was very good, and better than they expected. Again this was years ago so I don't remember what the CFM on the flow bench was.
Old 04-15-18, 10:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Leave it alone, take off as much weight as possible (but not carbon fiber, which is $100 per pound saved) especially lighter wheels.
this... lighter wheels (and brakes) make a HUGE difference.
Old 04-15-18, 08:12 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Not O/T, but "worth it" isn't really a meaningful question.
On a $1,000 car with 200,000 miles: never. Save it for the next car.
On a new car when your salary is $500K, where the shop picks it up and delivers it back running? Of course. It doesn't affect engine life or mileage, no down side.
If you have the money and are keeping the original iron exhaust manifolds - do them too.
I allready have PPE headers installed on the car. My goal is to try and get 50hp & 50tq with bolt ons, I am doing a full exhaust from the 2 cats back with no x pipe just 2.25 piping out to the greddy mufflers. So with the extrude honed intake PPE headers and exhaust I am hoping to get that additional 50hp &50tq.
Old 04-15-18, 08:27 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jgscott
I had this done, at a shop on a 1999 SC400, I had a few years ago. The Dyno gain was 22hp. Don't remember what the tq gain was but is was good too. It worked for me. Sorry I no longer have the car or the sheet anymore.

I had Exhaust Mods, the BFI Intake mod and other things, Like ZEX Nitrous 100 shot. The 22hp was without NOS spray. Port matching the Gasket and runners also helps a lot. I was also running a Unichip ECU Piggyback. But the 22hp was from the difference of Ported intake vs not ported alone. It worked for me.

A Buddy of mine who also had a 99 SC400 had his done by someone at a Shop on a flow bench. The shop told him that the flow improvement was very good, and better than they expected. Again this was years ago so I don't remember what the CFM on the flow bench was.
Thanks for posting man the sc400 has the 1uz in it which has very good flow similar to the 3uz from what I was reading on lextreme and the gs430 forum. So we will see what happens when I go and get it done.