Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The A- is probably based on .
Based on bias. Sorry. The Buick LaCrosse gets 70db but gets an A. The G70 gets 70db and get a A- yet he claims their are quieter cars in the segment for the G70. Gotta call him out in this. For the most part, his review is actually good. Just don’t agree at all with the letter ratings.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-26-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Based on bias. Sorry. The Buick LaCrosse gets 70db but gets an A. The G70 gets 70db and get a A- yet he claims their are quieter cars in the segment for the G70. Gotta call him out in this. For the most part, his review is actually good. Just don’t agree at all with the letter ratings.
One thing he doesn't tell us, though, is whether that 70-db Lacrosse had the 18" or 20" wheels...that alone could make a difference. A 3.6L 2015 Lacrosse, you'll notice was 3 dbs quieter, at 67. As for the G70, it also comes in at least two different versions, with different wheels/tires....the 3.3L V6 version has much wider 255s (vs. 225s) which, all else equal, will give more road noise, simply because more rubber is on the road.
Old 12-27-18, 01:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

sound impression isn’t just about a number (loudness) because all cars sound different even at the same dB. but sure, letter scores are subjective and thus biased. I find Doug Demuro’s ‘doug scores’ to be really stupid.
Old 12-27-18, 05:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

sound impression isn’t just about a number (loudness) because all cars sound different even at the same dB. but sure, letter scores are subjective and thus biased. I find Doug Demuro’s ‘doug scores’ to be really stupid.
Of course. All that you said is true. Just pointing out King Alex’s biased claim as he claims there are other cars in the segment that are quieter. So a B is more appropriate, but he is pushing Genesis a bit a higher in order to succeed.
Old 12-27-18, 05:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Of course. All that you said is true. Just pointing out King Alex’s biased claim as he claims there are other cars in the segment that are quieter. So a B is more appropriate, but he is pushing Genesis a bit a higher in order to succeed.
I don't think that it makes much, if any, difference if an internet reviewer gave the G70 an A or a B or whether he recorded 70 or 69 db's. The ultimate success of the car doesn't hinge on this one review.

​​​​​
Old 12-27-18, 06:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't think that it makes much, if any, difference if an internet reviewer gave the G70 an A or a B or whether he recorded 70 or 69 db's. The ultimate success of the car doesn't hinge on this one review.

​​​​​
Absolutely. However, in order for Alex on Autos to grow as a show, he would need to attract additional viewers. This is the same with all publications, one of the worst was Motor Trend in the G90, they did a comparison with the LS500 and Continental and who was most worthy to be compared to the S class. At the end of the review if I remember correctly, they claim the the G90 shows all the characteristics of what Lexus used to be which is what the LS460 was, but they panned the LS460 years prior, so Lexus changes the LS and they now do not like it as much.

There is a lot of biased in journalism. Most brands are established (very little need to praise a Toyota or GM car or MB or BMW) unless the viewer base is very strong, however every once in a while a brand comes along (in this case Genesis) and you realize there is a larger potential to attract new views and thus new ads etc etc. At the end of the G70 review, Alex goes on about dealers and trys to defend that there are new agreements in the way this new brand will be sold for 2019, but this is all irrelevant as the review was about the G70.

I have seen the G70 multiple times. It is a very nice car. Excellent engineering in the A’s reported performance times (unlike the fake numbers of the LS500) . It’s RWD. Feels like an import. It will hold its own and take its deserved share of the market.
Old 12-27-18, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely. However, in order for Alex on Autos to grow as a show, he would need to attract additional viewers. This is the same with all publications,
Alex doesn't need to rate with traditional A through F letters to get viewers or to grow their membership. His reviews are good enough simply on their merits and thorough content.

I have seen the G70 multiple times. It is a very nice car. Excellent engineering in the A’s reported performance times (unlike the fake numbers of the LS500) . It’s RWD. Feels like an import. It will hold its own and take its deserved share of the market.
Yes, it's absurd that the car can be freely looked at by the public (and, I assume, test-driven) in Canada, while here, below the border, they sit around on factory-lots collecting dust and bird-droppings while Hyundai and Genesis lawyers and representatives argue among themselves (and with the state dealer-franchise laws) over how to set up the dealerships. Between this nonsense, all of the nonsense that Elon Musk is getting himself into, one scandal after another among the German manufacturers, and GM and Ford shutting down most of the American sedan plants, I truly fear for the future sanity of the industry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-18 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-27-18, 09:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I don't understand where the charge of "bias" comes from. Its a subjective review. By its very nature his ratings are based on his own impressions...which are subjective. If you're saying he's biased, biased towards or against what? He doesn't own a Genesis, or have any stake in Genesis.

His rating system compares cars to their competitors. so what is an "A" for a small sport sedan is different than what is an "A" for a full-size near luxury sedan like the Lacrosse, and is different than an A for a midsized SUV. A- when there are others quieter, to me that says its still very quiet, but there are a few others that are quieter. A- vs A vs A+.
Old 12-27-18, 10:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Watched King Alex’s review on my Apple TV this morning. Very biased review. How can you have an A- for interior noise when the car measures at 70db yet Alex complains that there other cars in the segment that have better noise suppression? How can you give a B on fuel economy when the test car is get less than EPA, less than the competition? Such biased.

Took me a while to figure out my real issues I don’t like of the G70.

1. The center speedo should be all digital.

2. The graphics on the infotainment screen are the same as an Elantra? The fonts just seem to dated. Not acceptable and it took me a while to realize this as Square One Mall Genesis I often visit when I am the mall.

3. Fuel economy is not very competitive. I could be wrong on this.

Overall, a very nice competitive car. Definitely not trend setting which I think is the biggest drawback. However, King Alex says the car is well rounded and does everything well, is that enough to switch from 3 series which will be all new? Or a C class or A4?
To me, the key selling point of the G70 is that a buyer can get the V6TT for the same price as German 2.0T versions, when equipped similarly. Not so much about setting trends--by definition, very few cars are "trend setters". It's all about what is the buyer's priority; I'd seriously consider the V6TT to replace my 328 (but I haven't driven the G70 or the Stinger, with either engine option, so that could easily change).

As far as "well rounded", that's what the bulk of buyers want; that's why the F30 3-Series moved away from "Ultimate Driving Machine" yet sold more than ever before.
Old 12-27-18, 10:44 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Jill, I understand and share your views. I've watched many of his videos for a long time and have too noticed patterns of slight bias here and there.
Old 12-27-18, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
Jill, I understand and share your views. I've watched many of his videos for a long time and have too noticed patterns of slight bias here and there.
Such as?.............
Old 12-27-18, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
Thanks. I appreciate the comments ❤️
Old 12-27-18, 12:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't understand where the charge of "bias" comes from. Its a subjective review. By its very nature his ratings are based on his own impressions...which are subjective. If you're saying he's biased, biased towards or against what? He doesn't own a Genesis, or have any stake in Genesis.
Agreed. Here is a list the vehicles he currently owns.

http://alexonautos.com/about-alex/

If you’ve ever wondered what a car guy drives, Alex has an unlikely group of vehicles in the driveway. There is a 2016 Kia Soul EV, a 2009 Saab 9-7x Aero (the Saab version of the Trailblazer SS) which is most known for the 6.0L LS2 V8 engine that’s about three times the size of the average Saab engine and a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Old 12-27-18, 12:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
His rating system compares cars to their competitors. so what is an "A" for a small sport sedan is different than what is an "A" for a full-size near luxury sedan like the Lacrosse, and is different than an A for a midsized SUV. A- when there are others quieter, to me that says its still very quiet, but there are a few others that are quieter. A- vs A vs A+.
Whatver. The LS500 F sport he drove got a 70.5 dB rating. He gave it a C.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-18 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Whatver. The LS500 F sport he drove got a 70.5 dB rating. He gave it a C.
That makes sense compared to other flagship luxury sedans. Compared to those vehicles 70 dB is really high. You miss the concept that the ratings aren’t all vehicles compared with each other, it’s that vehicle compared to others in its market segment. He actually puts a disclaimer up that says just that.

Having driven everything in the flagship segment many times I would ageee, the LS500 is not as quiet as it’s competitors, or the previous LS460.

And again remember, this is just a guy with a dayjob making YouTube car reviews for fun and a little profit. This isn’t Car & Driver.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70