Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Old 12-11-18, 07:08 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Koreans are getting serious. Their cars are getting better with every iteration. Genesis is the next Lexus! Lexus is the new Acura!
G70 still not availale for purchase in many states. per posted sales records, they have sold 129 total units in the US thru 11/30. and the new 3 series will be arriving in March. winter is coming.
Old 12-11-18, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think this has been posted (I'll stand corrected if it has)...but the G70, besides being Motor Trend's COTY, also won a spot on Car and Driver's 10 Best for 2019.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...est-cars-2019/

Genesis G70

Any premium-brand carmaker worth its salt has, at one time or another, followed the basic blueprint laid down by the BMW 3-series. Genesis's dealers might have preferred that the brand start with SUVs instead. But, by launching a successful effort into such an established, yardstick segment where many have failed before, Genesis gains credibility.

And this Genesis can play. The low-slung G70 is built with the same basic set of parts as the Kia Stinger, but the wheelbase of the Genesis is 2.8 inches shorter than the Kia's, which gives the G70 tight, classic proportions. With subtly flared fenders, a short front overhang, and taut skin, the G70 looks poised. It's sophisticated without appearing staid, sporty without being overwrought.

VIEW GALLERY

[img]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/g70-vert-inline-1543433431.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

Its styling neatly telegraphs the G70's comportment, and it successfully delivers the difficult balance of competent performance and driving satisfaction without jiggling its owner's latte into too great a froth. The loaded-up 365-hp V-6–powered Sport model delivers big speed plus progressive, predictable handling and confident transitional responses. And the electrically assisted variable-ratio steering matches the suspension tuning: precise but comfortable. More than just quiet, the G70's interior is a genuinely pleasant place to spend time. That's particularly true in higher-spec models with cosseting quilted-leather seats in a spot-on driving position. The goodness is not restricted to the big-engined car, either; the four-cylinder version with nonadjustable dampers is just as satisfying, although the six-speed manual transmission that can be optionally bolted to it is not.

The G70's comprehensive excellence is impressive on its own, but pricing that substantially undercuts the usual suspects makes it that much sweeter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-18 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 06:48 AM
KDX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-13-18, 06:49 AM
KDX
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
top speed there of 300kph (186mph!) but i guess that's on the dyno, so not quite so impressive without any wind resistance!
The governor is set at 270kph from the factory. I haven't tried it in mine but I have seen videos of stock Stingers doing it so I do not doubt it is possible.

Last edited by KDX; 12-13-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-15-18, 02:30 PM
KDX
Rookie

Old 12-26-18, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Watched King Alex’s review on my Apple TV this morning. Very biased review. How can you have an A- for interior noise when the car measures at 70db yet Alex complains that there other cars in the segment that have better noise suppression? How can you give a B on fuel economy when the test car is get less than EPA, less than the competition? Such biased.

Took me a while to figure out my real issues I don’t like of the G70.

1. The center speedo should be all digital.

2. The graphics on the infotainment screen are the same as an Elantra? The fonts just seem to dated. Not acceptable and it took me a while to realize this as Square One Mall Genesis I often visit when I am the mall.

3. Fuel economy is not very competitive. I could be wrong on this.

Overall, a very nice competitive car. Definitely not trend setting which I think is the biggest drawback. However, King Alex says the car is well rounded and does everything well, is that enough to switch from 3 series which will be all new? Or a C class or A4?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-26-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-26-18, 11:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Good points LexsCTJill.

the g70 isn’t “hit it out of the park home run” good, but it is a serious competitor to the ‘establishment’. Good question you pose at the end of your post... i doubt Hyundai/Genesis has any illusions of dethroning them, just take a piece of it. and i think they will. Like the less luxurious Stinger, people will either love it or not, but i’m sure there will be quite a lot of people that love it. With the 2.0T it will be fun... with the 3.3TT it will haul ***.

oh and here’s the king’s latest

Old 12-26-18, 01:34 PM
JapanTT
Driver School Candidate

mmarshall how do you think G70 compares to the first gen IS300 that you previously owned?
Old 12-26-18, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JapanTT
mmarshall how do you think G70 compares to the first gen IS300 that you previously owned?

Haven't seen the G70 yet in person....although there's been a LOT of talk about it here in Car Chat. No 2019 Genesis models have been released in my area yet, so I've only seen it in pictures. I'll be out to take a formal look at it when Genesis finally starts shipping them.

I did do a full review, however, on the Kia Stinger, on which a lot of the G70s platform and drivetrains are based. I was quite pleased with the Stinger's overall build-quality, the solid materials used, the way it was assembled, and the long warranty, as I have been with virtually all recent Kia and Hyundai/Genesis products. My only significant complaint with the Stinger was the ride quality, which is probably to be expected with that type of sport-oriented vehicle (I like Cush-Tush vehicles that isolate and coddle you). The 1Gen IS300 also had a stiff ride with the standard 17" 45-series summer-only high-performance tires....but my car had the optional (at no charge) 16" 55-series all-season tires which were noticeably smoother (I would not have bought the 1Gen standard wheel/tire package...too stiff). That option, unfortunately, was dropped on the 2Gen version.....which did gain the much-needed AWD option for winter traction. Without the softer-tire option, I found the ride too stiff on the 2Gen...plus, the overall quality of materials and assembly, IMO, also dropped. So, instead, I found myself at the Subaru dealer LOL.

Since your screen-name is JapanTT, is that where you are at...Japan? The 1Gen IS300, in your country, with right-hand drive, was essentially the Toyota Altezza....here, it was sold as the Lexus IS, with only minor modifications and larger in-line six instead of a four.

There are some things I do like about the G70, though, in pictures, though its interior l (except for the nice quilted-Nappa leather package) looks rather plain in comparison to the larger G80 and G90. I also like the G80, and will strongly consider a G80 AWD version next time if GM and Ford drop all of their large sedans....which is not certain, but very likely.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-18 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Very biased review. How can you have an A- for interior noise when the car measures at 70db yet Alex complains that there other cars in the segment that have better noise suppression? How can you give a B on fuel economy when the test car is get less than EPA, less than the competition? Such biased.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Good points LexsCTJill.

oh and here’s the king’s latest

https://youtu.be/UWUguhsyfUY

I watched it. Typical (for Alex) inch-by-inch, stem-to-stern, extremely complete review....and a good comparison to its competitors, which Alex also typically does extremely well. Based on his review, though, probably not a car for me......too sport-oriented, even with the variable Adaptive Suspension settings. Also, it looks like my big frame might have some trouble with those seat-bolsters....Alex is no beanpole, but he is a little shorter and slimmer than I am, and can probably get a little more comfortable in those kind of seats.

I (respectfully) disagree with Jill, BTW, on the decibel issue. Alex is right on when he says that 70 is not bad at all for a vehicle of that type....it is not meant to compete with a Mercedes S-Class, Lexus LS460, or Buick Lacrosse. Neither are the other vehicles in its class that Jill mentions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-18 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I (respectfully) disagree with Jill, BTW, on the decibel issue. Alex is right on when he says that 70 is not bad at all for a vehicle of that type.....
Which is why I said his ratings were biased as he said there were other cars in the class that were quieter. So how does something get an A- if there are others that are more quiet. Same with fuel economy, if the G70 was not getting EPA numbers and was in fact getting lower numbers, how is that a B. Shouldn’t A mean exceeding EPA, B means meeting EPA and C means not achieving EPA.
Old 12-26-18, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One thing that is urgent, though....Genesis has GOT to get this crazy situation with only 45 stand-alone dealerships straightened out. Having a plant full of 2019's (which are already in production) but no place to actually ship them is absurd. I had a couple of Genesis outlets for the 2017/2018 models which were within easy driving distance of my house...they shared the facilities with Hyundai franchises, and there were no problems at all. In fact, one of those shops, Hyundai/Genesis of Chantilly, was huge, well-equipped, roomy,up-to-date, and almost brand-new...just like the luxury-vehicle dealerships in that big Chantilly complex (Steve can also verify that....he's been there to check out the G90). Now, for 2019, you've got an absurd situation where the two nameplates (Hyundai and Genesis) can't be sold under the same roof without a bunch of formalities, and, in many cases, not at all. Their competitors, especially in the Ford/Lincoln shop literally right down the street, are probably laughing at them (not their vehicles, but this idiotic legal situation). The Ford/Lincoln set-up in the same shops may not be ideal, but at least you have new vehicles still being shipped to them, and don't have a bunch of lawyers fighting like cats and dogs.

Alex, BTW, covered the basics of this in the review....but can't give any further updates because they are still hashing it out between Hyundai and Genesis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Which is why I said his ratings were biased as he said there were other cars in the class that were quieter. So how does something get an A- if there are others that are more quiet. Same with fuel economy, if the G70 was not getting EPA numbers and was in fact getting lower numbers, how is that a B. Shouldn’t A mean exceeding EPA, B means meeting EPA and C means not achieving EPA.
The A- is probably based on a number of different measurements, under varying driving conditions, and not just a steady highway-cruise on the Interstate. Not only do different vehicles have different sound insulation and different harmonics, but different tires on the same vehicle (or same type of vehicle), or even worn-vs.-new tires can make a noticeable difference. And, of course, different types asphalt and concrete (and expansion joints) will give you different readings....in general, the rougher and more porous the surface, the more road/tire noise you will have.

Fuel economy is a complex issue. I usually don't put a whole lot of stock in it, because, like road noise, there are simply too many natural variables....one of the biggest ones, of course, being how heavy a right foot one has.
Old 12-26-18, 05:40 PM
JapanTT
Driver School Candidate

I'm not based in Japan, but in the US. Though I appreciated the response and I came up with my username which just popped into my head. When thinking if there was a Japanese luxury model based on the Audi TT so that's where the username came from. @mmarshall
Old 12-26-18, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JapanTT
I'm not based in Japan, but in the US. Though I appreciated the response and I came up with my username which just popped into my head. When thinking if there was a Japanese luxury model based on the Audi TT so that's where the username came from.
OK, sorry.....that's partly my fault. I didn't notice the NJ address below the avitar. I should have looked a little closer.

Yeah, The original Audi TT as I understood it, was named for the Isle of Man Tourist Trophy motorcycle race. More recently, however, the "TT" became an abbreviation for twin-turbo engines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70