Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 05:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

C&D goes into quite a bit of detail on their "In Depth Reviews". Here's a link to the one for the G80 vs. competitive models in the segment. You can select from about 10 areas where they compare details vs. the competition.

Actually they go into greater detail than Alex.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-5

Last edited by LexBob2; 12-27-18 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Watching AoA. So the LS500 has a 70.5 dB and gets a C while the CT6 (which can only grow in sales) gets a 70 dB but is rated an A- Just absurd bias by Alex on Autos, while a G90 gets an A+ at 68.5 db.
I don't see where your charge of bias comes from. What is he biased towards or against? The S550 was 68 dB or so I believe and it was an A+, 2-2.5 dB is not a small difference. If you're saying he's biased TOWARDS Genesis, why would he rate the CT6 so highly? Are his subjective ratings based JUST on dB readings or overall opinion on quietness? Like I tried to tell you before, dB readings don't tell the whole story. Having driven the G90, CT6 and the LS500, the G90 and CT6 feel quieter.

I would also again remind you he is not a professional journalist. He's developing his style and the way he does and compares his reviews as he goes. The CT6 review if I remember is fairly old, and the LS500 review and the G70 review are newer. He's just a guy with a YouTube channel. If you think you can do a better job, start one yourself.
Old 12-27-18, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

he is not a professional journalist.
Fair enough 👍
Old 12-27-18, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Remember, that LS500 review from Alex that yielded that 70.5 dB rating was an F Sport.

Its three things in the LS500. First is engine sound, and the fact that by design the engine is louder in the 500 vs other vehicles in this class and the 460, and the F Sport is louder than the base car. Its part of the overall "sportier" nature of the LS500. The LS500 is also a front mid engine design and the engine is closer to the firewall and the passenger compartment. Second I chock it up to fat, runflat tires which contribute road noise. Competitors like MB and BMW use runflats also but they have had a lot of experience hiding their characteristics. I have a feeling that if you swapped the runflats out of the LS500 it would have a big impact. [left]
Yes, that would make sense......even over and above the run-flat issue, combined with the F-Sport's larger-than-standard wheels/tires. With 245s up front and 275s in the rear, that's a lot of rubber on the road. All else equal, more rubber on the pavement means more potential friction and tire noise.
Old 12-28-18, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I would also again remind you he is not a professional journalist.
Lol, i think that label is now out the window!

alex does try to be objective, but i think he’s biased to ‘underdog’ brands like Hyundai/Kia/Genesis, Jeep/Chrysler, i mean he owns a Saab, an old Jeep, and a new Durango.

i think when he reviews a toyota/honda/acura/lexus, he automatically expects more and can be a bit more critical.

but overall he’s doing a great job and i always learn something from his reviews. I take the ratings as only somewhat relevant, and listen more to his comments and data. As i’ve said, i think Doug Demuro’s ‘dougscores’ are worthless, but besides his anmoying way of talking, i learn something from his reviews too.
Old 12-28-18, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
alex does try to be objective, but i think he’s biased to ‘underdog’ brands like Hyundai/Kia/Genesis, Jeep/Chrysler, i mean he owns a Saab, an old Jeep, and a new Durango.
I would agree with that, and thats something that I feel also. I do expect more from established brands like Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota, etc. I also find that over the last few years, those brands let me down while brands like Genesis, Jeep etc exceed my expectations. I think value has to come into play too, when you're driving a car thats a great value, you overlook certain characteristics...when you pay top dollar for something that is supposed to be the best, those things are a bigger issue.
Old 12-28-18, 11:39 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

One phrase Alex uses often is "in this segment" when doing his ratings. He really never rates something like a Camry against an S-Class for noise, ride, acceleration, etc. He does, however, sometimes comment that a car (or SUV) is among the quietest he has tested. To rate an "A", a luxury car would have to be very quiet. An econobox could be much noisier and still get an "A" based on the noise level of others in the same class.

Alex is pretty much biased toward comfort where the "professional journalists" at the magazines are biased toward sporty and European.
Old 12-28-18, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

he is not a professional journalist..
Among other reasons, that's why he actually says something.....although, to be fair, there are some good card-carrying auto journalists, too. Always liked John Davis, for one (super-nice guy), although the Motorweek TV show doesn't give him a long enough time-slot to do a thorough review on-camera.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-28-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 09:14 PM
KDX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2019 Genesis G70 Named North American Car Of The Year

DETROIT, Jan. 14, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, the Genesis G70 was awarded the 2019 North American Car of the Year. In receiving this highly coveted industry award, Genesis joins leading luxury and mainstream automotive brands to have won the award and stands as the youngest brand to have done so.
"At Genesis, our brand and products must perfectly match our customers' lifestyles, mindsets and desires," said Manfred Fitzgerald, Executive Vice President and Global Head of the Genesis Brand.

"This award is a testament to the G70, which combines luxury with sports-focused elegance. And now, for the entire Genesis brand, I'd like to thank the North American Car of the Year jury for taking the time to see and experience our design and engineering teams' intent.

""For a still-young brand, winning this highly prestigious award, as well as the other significant awards the G70 has collected, will certainly give Genesis a presence boost in the marketplace," said Erwin Raphael, Executive Director, Genesis Motor America.

"We're thrilled to give more people the opportunity to get behind the wheel and experience the compelling qualities and capabilities the expert NACTOY jurors voted for.

""The Genesis G70 is a game changer for the sedan market," said Lauren Fix, NACTOY President.

"G70 offers a sophisticated, impressive vehicle that delivers an inspired driving experience, safety and technology at a reasonable price.

"The award is bestowed annually upon the car that achieves benchmark status based on innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value for the dollar. The verdict was decided for 2019 by 54 jurors from outlets in the United States and Canada.

As the first Genesis model in the highly competitive entry luxury segment, G70 outperforms legacy luxury sport sedans with driver-focused performance. G70 resets benchmarks and expectations among luxury sport sedans, with holistic integration of performance, body strength, refined luxury and aerodynamic design. Pricing starts at $34,900.

Genesis Motor America Genesis Motor America, LLC is headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif. Genesis is a global luxury automotive brand that delivers the highest standards of performance, design and innovation. All Genesis vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by an industry-leading warranty with enhanced roadside assistance and concierge services. In just the first half of 2018, Genesis has won highest-ranked brand in the automotive industry awards for quality and owner satisfaction from industry experts such as J.D. Power, AutoPacific, and Strategic Vision.For more information on Genesis and its new definition of luxury, please visit www.genesis.com.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300777687.html
Old 01-16-19, 10:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice win for the Genesis Brand, and parent Hyundai.
Old 01-16-19, 10:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice win for the Genesis Brand, and parent Hyundai.
Absolutely. All the good press the G70 is getting is just what Genesis needed. Aside from a CUV.
Old 01-16-19, 11:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Absolutely. All the good press the G70 is getting is just what Genesis needed. Aside from a CUV.

One reason the G70 is getting such good press is that it is a classic drivers' car, of the type that generally tends to satisfy a lot of auto-journalists, But, IMO, the G80 and G90 deserve just as good press....simply for different reasons. Cars like them, though, are (falsely) looked upon by many enthusiasts as "Old Man's" cars, and tend to be ignored by much of the auto press. But, IMO, they, in different ways, are just as worthy of good press as the G70.....they show the same build quality, attention to detail, fit/finish, and, of course, are more comfortable on the road than the G70's sport-sedan-firm ride. I will seriously consider an AWD G80 as my next vehicle....particularly if Ford and GM follow through on their proposals to drop their big sedans.
Old 01-16-19, 11:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Yeah I like the G80 a lot. For a while now, that G80 5.0 I drove has made me consider whether I really like the type of car I thought I liked. That's how good the G80 is at what it does, especially at the price point. The size is maybe a bit on the large side for my preference, which is exactly where the G70 comes in - virtually the same size as my current IS. The G70 is definitely on my short list.
Old 01-16-19, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah I like the G80 a lot. For a while now, that G80 5.0 I drove has made me consider whether I really like the type of car I thought I liked. That's how good the G80 is at what it does, especially at the price point. The size is maybe a bit on the large side for my preference, which is exactly where the G70 comes in - virtually the same size as my current IS. The G70 is definitely on my short list.
One of the nicest things about the G80, for some buyers, is that the 5.0L AWD version is finally available stateside. That was not available in the past....although I'd probably want the 3.8L AWD version.
Old 01-21-19, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

nice vid! hint: she loves is. and i have to say, it looks AWESOME on the road.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-21-19 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70