Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on ATS-V

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 08:35 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Thoughts on ATS-V

anyone have experience with it? Magazine reviews on YouTube are mostly postive for the performance but the interior quality is lacking except the seats. It actually out performs the c63 AMG S on every performance metric.

After week long car search, decided to stay in the class/size as my RCF but need 4 doors.

I actually branched out and looked at SUVs.
-The $46k Limited 4Runner was completely plastic from the dash down. A bit disappointed in the price and value. How much does it really cost to install soft plastic foam instead of hard plastic on a top of line $46k SUV.
-The Q80 is nice on the inside and great deals out there, but damn is it butt ugly from the outside.
-The GX460 is ok, but can't get over the rear trunk swing sideways

So besides the obvious such as M3, C class, A/4/A5 sportback... what else are out there

Last edited by ssmoked; 08-06-17 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-06-17, 09:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
anyone have experience with it? Magazine reviews on YouTube are mostly postive for the performance but the interior quality is lacking except the seats. It actually out performs the c63 AMG S on every performance metric.

After week long car search, decided to stay in the class/size as my RCF but need 4 doors.

-The $46k Limited 4Runner was completely plastic from the dash down. A bit disappointed in the price and value. How much does it really cost to install soft plastic foam instead of hard plastic on a top of line $46k SUV.
-The Q80 is nice on the inside and great deals out there, but damn is it butt ugly from the outside.

So besides the obvious such as M3, C class, A/4/A5 sportback... what else are out there
S4. It's probably faster than the RCF. The S5 sportback is gorgeous too. ATS V is tiny. Backseat is smaller than the IS.
Old 08-06-17, 09:40 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
S4. It's probably faster than the RCF. The S5 sportback is gorgeous too. ATS V is tiny. Backseat is smaller than the IS.
i test drove the S5 sportback and liked everything about it. But their leases are horrible, cost same as M3 leases (M3 msrp 10k more). They act like discounting 6% off msrp is doing you a favor backwards
Old 08-06-17, 09:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked

Whoa. How the heck does one go from a ATV and then into a 4Runner limited.

Anyways, the beauty of the 4Runner is that it is a pleasant place to be yet it can still do really work and provide proper utility. But if soft stiff on the bottom of a door is what you want, then ok
Old 08-06-17, 10:20 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Whoa. How the heck does one go from a ATV and then into a 4Runner limited.

Anyways, the beauty of the 4Runner is that it is a pleasant place to be yet it can still do really work and provide proper utility. But if soft stiff on the bottom of a door is what you want, then ok
If i cant find a 4 door sedan fits my criteria, might as well go all out for full utility. It's not just plastic near speakers. It's the whole dash
Old 08-06-17, 11:24 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 15 4 runner and for what it is great truck. But it is that... A truck based SUV.... It is reliable, practical, great off road and a good daily. If you are looking for performance and/or luxury I would look elsewhere.
Old 08-06-17, 01:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jbjones85
I have a 15 4 runner and for what it is great truck. But it is that... A truck based SUV.... It is reliable, practical, great off road and a good daily. If you are looking for performance and/or luxury I would look elsewhere.
Right! That is exactly what it is and has always been. We have two 4Runners in our family, the one I have is a limited and my mother's is always a limited. Overall, they do what they need to do. They are not luxury trucks. You could argue that they are premium SUVs. They also have some of the best satisfaction ratings, reliability, and resale values.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-06-17 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 01:19 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 89 Posts

Go for the ATS-V. The interior is just ok but its just so damn good.

Chevy SS fits your criteria too if you don't mind the vanilla looks. Huge back seat and trunk.

GS F, Q50 RS 400 and Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio too. I have no idea what your budget is but you have an RC F so you could probably buy any of these.

Don't bother with those ugly SUV's.

Last edited by LH1; 08-06-17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Go for the ATS-V. The interior is just ok but its just so damn good.

Chevy SS fits your criteria too if you don't mind the vanilla looks. Huge back seat and trunk.
Agreed. I'd go with the SS....though one question might be how long you plan to keep it. Being of Holden design (and GM soon separating some ties with Holden), getting spare parts for it might be a problem several years down the pike.
Old 08-06-17, 02:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So are you keeping your RC-F or not???? If you are, buy an SUV, that can be your fun, fast, obnoxious car. Honestly the ATS-V doesn't offer much more utility than the RC-F, other than the back seat being easier to get into if you get the ATS-V sedan. Rear seat room wise and trunk space, I bet there isn't much difference.

Also the really big letdown with the ATS-V is the engine feel/exhaust note. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner, feels kind of gritty/unrefined. The RC-F has a real engine in it, that V8 makes quite the racket and pulls hard all the way to redline. At least for me, when buying a performance car, the engine note/feel is way more important than the numbers like peak HP, 0-60, quarter mile time, etc
Old 08-06-17, 02:28 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Strongly recommend splitting duties between two vehicles - get a sportier car than the RC-F, and get a utility car for everything else. Otherwise you won't be happy with the compromise.

You said you're looking at the ATS-V because you need 4 doors, but if you need 4 doors then I assume you need functional rear seats. The ATS-V doesn't offer that - you're much better off getting a car with more utility. Even if the need for 4 doors is just to put a carseat in the back, that's no fun in a compact sedan with limited rear room.
Old 08-06-17, 02:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So are you keeping your RC-F or not???? If you are, buy an SUV, that can be your fun, fast, obnoxious car. Honestly the ATS-V doesn't offer much more utility than the RC-F, other than the back seat being easier to get into if you get the ATS-V sedan. Rear seat room wise and trunk space, I bet there isn't much difference.

Also the really big letdown with the ATS-V is the engine feel/exhaust note. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner, feels kind of gritty/unrefined. The RC-F has a real engine in it, that V8 makes quite the racket and pulls hard all the way to redline. At least for me, when buying a performance car, the engine note/feel is way more important than the numbers like peak HP, 0-60, quarter mile time, etc
According to this thread, his car was totaled

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...earl-down.html
Old 08-06-17, 02:59 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Go with the GS-F, Lexus/Toyota reliability, power, beautiful interior, roomy... basically going to a 4 door RC-F with even nicer interior. I have a GS350 F-Sport and I seriously wish I could go and change it now (which I have to do actually, my lease is up soon) for a GS-F but I can't afford to have both an RC-F and a GS-F...
Old 08-06-17, 04:47 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 is the bargain in high performance 4 door sedans. Relatively large back seat, much larger than ATS, IS, or 3 series. Good lease rates available. The steer-by-wire is an option and is not required.
Steve
Old 08-06-17, 07:43 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche Macan S or GTS
Dodge Charger SRT.
Dodge Durango SRT.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on ATS-V