RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Another Molten Pearl down

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 06:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Another Molten Pearl down

The rear hydroplanes and sent the car to the right. I instinctively overcorrected preventing the car flying into trees and spun left into water logged grass median. The car did a 390 degree spin before it stopped. The front is all gone and the passenger side door, bumper and molding is slightly pushed in causing a bit of sitting water to get in during the 390 degree spin (hopefully they change all interior carpets).
Airbags didn't deploy since it didn't flip and didn't crash into hard object. The force caused the passenger rear tire to unbead off the rim. Tire thread is 4/32, already bought new tires sitting in the house. Kicking myself right now not installing it earlier.
I would say the heavy RCF is one safe car. If I were in any other vehicle I would rolled many times, and prob into oncoming traffic. The only injury I suffered is 2 mosquito bites from the 2 feet standing water where the car is stuck in. No soreness or anything after 48 hours. About 15 cars, an ambulance, city police stopped within the hour while waiting for the tow truck. Spoke and chatted with some and they are in disbelief I am not injured at all. I'm one lucky person.
Attached Thumbnails Another Molten Pearl down-img_5166.png   Another Molten Pearl down-img_5165.jpg  

Last edited by ssmoked; 07-25-17 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 06:44 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow! first of all, glad you're safe... Since airbags didn't deploy, can they still declare it totalled or most likely repairable? Plus, you'll have water damage. If ever, I hope you can repair it as good as new or be able to get a new one.
Old 07-22-17, 09:11 PM
FunRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Very glad that you are safe brother. Car is replaceable but health is not. Went through the same kind of disaster in past and it sucks to keep thinking that I could have done things differently. Here is mine

Just make sure that insurance does not try to screw you over.
Old 07-22-17, 10:31 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Glad you are ok.

I saw a cutaway and under side highlight of the additional "bracing" on the RCF at a car show especially of the additional bracing applied to the driver side to achieve the EXCELLENT RATINGS on the small overlap frontal crash test. Also since the RCF was originally intended for a convertible project and later on got scratched, the mid section came from the IS convertible with additional bracing, the whole car is a basically a roll cage. Very safe indeed.

These high performance summer tires when worn down don't do well in the rain.

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Traveling around speed limit 70 mph the rear hydroplanes and sent the car to the right. I instinctively overcorrected preventing the car flying into trees and spun left into water logged grass median. The car did a 390 degree spin before it stopped. The front is all gone and the passenger side door, bumper and molding is slightly pushed in causing a bit of sitting water to get in during the 390 degree spin (hopefully they change all interior carpets).
Airbags didn't deploy since it didn't flip and didn't crash into hard object. The force caused the passenger rear tire to unbead off the rim. Tire thread is 4/32, already bought new tires sitting in the house. Kicking myself right now not installing it earlier.
I would say the heavy RCF is one safe car. If I were in any other vehicle I would rolled many times, and prob into oncoming traffic. The only injury I suffered is 2 mosquito bites from the 2 feet standing water where the car is stuck in. No soreness or anything after 48 hours. About 15 cars, an ambulance, city police stopped within the hour while waiting for the tow truck. Spoke and chatted with some and they are in disbelief I am not injured at all. I'm one lucky person.
Old 07-23-17, 06:15 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

A lesson for all about tire safety. Glad you're ok man.
Old 07-23-17, 07:22 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Looking at it closely last night, it will be an expensive fix but not totaled. Honestly it doesn't really matter. I walked away without a scratch.

Be careful out there everyone and change your tires way before wear bar. The whole incident took 2 seconds. It could have been life changing.

Last edited by ssmoked; 07-25-17 at 03:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
raerae1616 (07-23-17)
Old 07-23-17, 07:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Wow, sorry. Glad you're OK. The more I read, the more I believe that the Michelin PSS and PS4 are not safe in the wet!! At 4/32" tread depth, tires should be replaced, but should not not let you down like that. I'm assuming the the temperature was above 40° F.

Lou
Old 07-23-17, 09:15 AM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad your ok...
Old 07-23-17, 11:51 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear on your condition! Can never feel too bad about the car when you walk away safely. The tires on these do worry me, I'm 13k into my tires and at 11k I was told they didn't seem as bad as expected at that mileage. Guess it's time to check again.
Old 07-23-17, 12:29 PM
Bzguy78
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

sorry to see it happened to you ssmoked, but as what everyone said. Cars are replaceable but not lives. Good luck with the next move.
Old 07-23-17, 12:49 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad you're ok, bro. I definitely need to replace my rears soon
Old 07-24-17, 08:11 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Glad you are okay and sad to see another hurt RCF

As for changing out early, another incentive for me to ditch my worn rear Pirellis and get on my new rear set of PSSs
Old 07-25-17, 09:23 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

glad you are ok. are you going to fix the rcf?

I've used your original pics and scared about 6 friends and family members. got them pretty good with it.
Old 07-25-17, 09:32 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
glad you are ok. are you going to fix the rcf?

I've used your original pics and scared about 6 friends and family members. got them pretty good with it.
....it's funny until some elderly gets a cardiac arrest

it doesn't matter total or not. It's in the shop now and they will get back to me end of week.

Last edited by ssmoked; 07-25-17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 11:13 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

GS-F......

PS: Speedy Recovery...

Originally Posted by ssmoked
....it's funny until some elderly gets a cardiac arrest

it doesn't matter total or not. I need a 4 door. Total will be easier. It's in the shop now and they will get back to me end of week.

Last edited by 16GSF00336; 07-25-17 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Another Molten Pearl down