Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 08:24 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

That article really highlights one thing: Toyota is looking to get ROI, not to appease to the child-like enthusiasm of consumers.

Next...
Old 07-23-18, 11:20 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
My MKIV Supra isn't going anywhere. I would add the A90 at some point in the future once the bugs have been worked out and the aftermarket has fully embraced the car and learned the drivetrain limits.
Highly doubt there will be much aftermarket support for the 50 or so cars Toyota will sell at the rumored $65k retail. How's the aftermarket support for the GT86 and that will still be a higher volume car than the new Supra
Old 07-23-18, 12:23 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Highly doubt there will be much aftermarket support for the 50 or so cars Toyota will sell at the rumored $65k retail. How's the aftermarket support for the GT86 and that will still be a higher volume car than the new Supra
50+5000 for the Z4...lol

Aftermarket is very healthy for the BRZ/FRS/GT86 twins actually. You can get CARB approved superchargers for example.
Old 07-24-18, 03:38 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

50 cars lol................ will be a lot more than that. It's not going to have the typical locked Toyota ECU so tuning OEM ECU will be possible and that opens a lot of options. I had to go full standalone in my MKIV Supra to get full tuning options.
Old 07-24-18, 11:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The fact that BMW tuners know this platform is a big plus.
My M3 with a conservative tune can make over 500hp at the wheels.

This Supra will be making crazy #s and aftermarket support will be endless as these tuners already have flash tunes for all the othe BMW turbo engines. I think if priced right it will me the next ‘’it’’ car of the aftermarket.

Stock tire width should tell you what engineers think this car will be putting down.
255fronts / 275rears from factory on such a tiny car. Lets just say there will be a TON of Widebody kits.......
Old 07-24-18, 12:37 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

^^^Good stuff. As you stated the aftermarket already has tunes for BMW motors which is a head start. I already know shops waiting to buy one to start R&D for downpipe, exhausts, intercooler upgrades etc....will be interesting to see what the limits are for stock components.

For those that care Moto Miwa has an account on FT86 club and has posted thread below and answering questions. He's also on Supraforums but not as active as the FT86 forums it looks like. Little more info and insight into the car.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129107
Old 07-24-18, 01:44 PM
situman
Pole Position

^^^Good stuff. As you stated the aftermarket already has tunes for BMW motors which is a head start. I already know shops waiting to buy one to start R&D for downpipe, exhausts, intercooler upgrades etc....will be interesting to see what the limits are for stock components.

For those that care Moto Miwa has an account on FT86 club and has posted thread below and answering questions. He's also on Supraforums but not as active as the FT86 forums it looks like. Little more info and insight into the car.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129107
If the rumored MSRP is correct, who in their right minds would spend $65k only to spend another $20k modifying it. That person should have just bought a fast $85k car to begin with. Some M or AMG car.
Old 07-24-18, 02:11 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

If the rumored MSRP is correct, who in their right minds would spend $65k only to spend another $20k modifying it. That person should have just bought a fast $85k car to begin with. Some M or AMG car.
Hmm...$20k into the car and ur talking new turbis, pistons, fuel system on e85 or so. That would about double stock output to 700-800hp. Name a M or AMG car that can do that stock for $85k?

​​​​​​
Old 07-24-18, 02:30 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

I'm not familiar mod costs for the BMW platform since that's the only benchmark for this chassis until real world numbers and pricing get released from Toyota it will be hard to say. I expect the aftermarket to flood to this chassis that alone will keep mod prices somewhat reasonable. If a tune and bolt ons gets it in 500 HP mark I would say that's good. Again not familiar with BMW mods but downpipe, exhaust and tune would yield good results on any boosted car. If Supra is 400 bhp and tune etc...gets it to 500whp that would be great and that won't be anywhere near 20K. Weight of car and type of racing will also be a factor.
Old 07-25-18, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ST430
Hmm...$20k into the car and ur talking new turbis, pistons, fuel system on e85 or so. That would about double stock output to 700-800hp. Name a M or AMG car that can do that stock for $85k?

​​​​​​
I'm not familiar mod costs for the BMW platform since that's the only benchmark for this chassis until real world numbers and pricing get released from Toyota it will be hard to say. I expect the aftermarket to flood to this chassis that alone will keep mod prices somewhat reasonable. If a tune and bolt ons gets it in 500 HP mark I would say that's good. Again not familiar with BMW mods but downpipe, exhaust and tune would yield good results on any boosted car. If Supra is 400 bhp and tune etc...gets it to 500whp that would be great and that won't be anywhere near 20K. Weight of car and type of racing will also be a factor.
You guys are so literal. The point I'm trying to make is a $65k sports car shouldnt need additional modifications. Yes people can do as they please. Plus we are talking about BMW gear here so God knows how expensive it will be to replace if something goes wrong. Besides, is modding cars still a thing or as prevalent? A good sports car should be spoken of in its own merit, not what it can be modified into.
Old 07-25-18, 08:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

You guys are so literal. The point I'm trying to make is a $65k sports car shouldnt need additional modifications. Yes people can do as they please. Plus we are talking about BMW gear here so God knows how expensive it will be to replace if something goes wrong. Besides, is modding cars still a thing or as prevalent? A good sports car should be spoken of in its own merit, not what it can be modified into.
Most people buy cars on the ability to mod it at least with the circle I'm in. I have friends with 1100 HP+ GTR's that still have stock ECU's that have been flashed. I agree that some people want a $65K car that doesn't need any mods to play with others and that's fine. Even the A90 chief engineer himself acknowledged the fact that the aftermarket will allow owners to modify and make car to their liking and even joked that if anyone plans to 2jz swap the A90 they should buy the 4cyl model to do it. Local shop to me has already registered 2 different website names related to swapping the A90 with a 2jz. The Supra name alone has the aftermarket ready for this platform. I may get one still will keep my MKIV but will wait at least 2 plus years once bugs are worked out and there are various aftermarket options. Friends in my circle plan to do the same even though I know one or two will probably buy the 6cyl as soon as they are available.
Old 07-25-18, 08:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Most people buy cars on the ability to mod it at least with the circle I'm in. I have friends with 1100 HP+ GTR's that still have stock ECU's that have been flashed. I agree that some people want a $65K car that doesn't need any mods to play with others and that's fine. Even the A90 chief engineer himself acknowledged the fact that the aftermarket will allow owners to modify and make car to their liking and even joked that if anyone plans to 2jz swap the A90 they should buy the 4cyl model to do it. Local shop to me has already registered 2 different website names related to swapping the A90 with a 2jz. The Supra name alone has the aftermarket ready for this platform. I may get one still will keep my MKIV but will wait at least 2 plus years once bugs are worked out and there are various aftermarket options. Friends in my circle plan to do the same even though I know one or two will probably buy the 6cyl as soon as they are available.
2 years may not be enough to work out the bugs. GERMAN ENGINEERING!!!!! hahahaa
Old 07-25-18, 08:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

2 years may not be enough to work out the bugs. GERMAN ENGINEERING!!!!! hahahaa
True lol but from looks of it there will be a lot of beta testers in those 2 years
Old 07-25-18, 10:33 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

A flash tune ranges from $500-1,000 and will give you 100hp or more.....
Custom tuning on a dyno is a few grand.

This is a dedicated RWD 2seater that will weigh 3100lbs.
Closest competition will be Cayman or 911. If you look it that way $65k is a bargain.
Magic number is in the $50s for this car to find buyers.

For $85k, there is no AMG or M car that really matches up EXCEPT for M2 Competition which is also small 2door with 400hp M engine and only costs $57-58k.
But its about 400lbs heavier as the M4.

AMG cars are all 4,000lbs and AMG-GT is well over $100k.

The aim of this Supra is to be a light sports car that can be modded easily for more power. Thats a unique position in the market as all the other cars besides Porsche are much bigger/heavier.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-25-18 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 12:57 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

A flash tune ranges from $500-1,000 and will give you 100hp or more.....
Custom tuning on a dyno is a few grand.

This is a dedicated RWD 2seater that will weigh 3100lbs.
Closest competition will be Cayman or 911. If you look it that way $65k is a bargain.
Magic number is in the $50s for this car to find buyers.

For $85k, there is no AMG or M car that really matches up EXCEPT for M2 Competition which is also small 2door with 400hp M engine and only costs $57-58k.
But its about 400lbs heavier as the M4.

AMG cars are all 4,000lbs and AMG-GT is well over $100k.

The aim of this Supra is to be a light sports car that can be modded easily for more power. Thats a unique position in the market as all the other cars besides Porsche are much bigger/heavier.
What you get for the pricing just makes no sense. I'm going to call this Supra a flop. Just like the RC, GSF and to some extent the LC and GT86 and I called it on all of them.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra