Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus New Products are Lacking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 02:50 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, they're switching things up to get rid of their "boring" reputation and I don't think they mind losing some of their long time customers to make it happen. Even if they lose some original customers, others won't mind and will still be loyal to Lexus because Lexus has been so good to them over the years. Some people like my mother are put off by the new products but others, like the original owner of my LS 400, don't mind at all. She traded it in for a brand new Lexus after 21 trouble free years.

Last edited by lexslexus; 04-30-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 02:53 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I ordered my E92 335i, there wasn't a choice, none were available for sale nationwide (this was 10/06). It was funny, I questioned the SA for the first 3 weeks, "Are you sure it's space gray? The web says black sapphire." Then the sales mgr. calls and said oh btw she forgot to add training and MACO. I said that's nice, I don't pay those. "Everyone pays them." "I don't so I no longer want the car." They took it off. Who knows, maybe you call their bluff on a M car, and it's not a bluff....I do like to get it exactly as I want, and sure it's overrated but nice to see the odometer at 000003 when you pick up your car....
Old 04-30-17, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would like to see Lexus start offering a 4 year maintenance plan. Anyone agree?

One area that Lexus and Toyota are lacking for real is the service intervals. They need to go to a one visit per year model than the Germans are currently offering on MB and BMW. Even worse is that new Lexus models only get one oil change per year but the other visit needs to be eliminated.
I would like to see an included maintenance plan. Personally to me a huge luxury feature of a BMW or a Genesis is that included maintenance. Its luxurious not to have to think about the cost of maintenance. Its like an all inclusive resort. Yes I understand I'm not saving money, I'm paying a lot for every meal I eat or drink I drink, but its nice not to have to think about it at all.

I'm all for longer service if it doesn't reduce vehicle longevity or reliability, as I firmly believe it does for BMW. The tires on my Lexus need to be rotated every 5k miles or it will reduce tire life.
Old 04-30-17, 03:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by lexslexus
Yes, they're switching things up to get rid of their "boring" reputation and I don't think they mind losing some of their long time customers to make it happen. Even if they lose some original customers, others won't mind and will still be loyal to Lexus because Lexus has been so good to them over the years. Some people like my mother are put off by the new products but others, like the original owner of my LS 400, don't mind at all. She traded it in for a brand new Lexus after 21 trouble free years.
Lexus didn't want to go the way of the Caddy with their customer base dying off over time so they went "Sport" to lower their average age. I think it's working as I find younger people driving Lexus these days vs 10 years ago. If they can deliver more power in the future, I'll probably stick with Lexus and I hope the other 40 something owners feel the same way I do. I think their long-term plan is solid.
Old 04-30-17, 04:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lexus didn't want to go the way of the Caddy with their customer base dying off over time so they went "Sport" to lower their average age. I think it's working as I find younger people driving Lexus these days vs 10 years ago. If they can deliver more power in the future, I'll probably stick with Lexus and I hope the other 40 something owners feel the same way I do. I think their long-term plan is solid.

Agreed. Well said.
Old 04-30-17, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've helped people negotiate BMWs so I know how that works. If you want to order a car nobody does it as well as BMW, Mercedes is almost as good. However, I have found it easier to negotiate a better deal on something in stock, and that makes sense.
One reason why I didn't scoop up one of the Lacrosse models in stock is that it was difficult to find the Preferred model I was most interested...especially in the hard-to-find Pepperdust color I wanted . Most of the stock is white/silver/ black/gray...and more expensive Essence and Premium models that had a lot more equipment (and safety-nannies) that I wanted. True, one often does get a better potential deal on a model in stock (I wasn't terribly impressed with the discount on the one I ordered)...but, though the final figures aren't in, yet, I still probably ended up paying less for the one I ordered, even with the 1-2% extra on the change to the 2018 model., than I would for a more expensive one in stock. And I get a fresh, brand-new car, right off the assembly line.

On another note......why do you say that BMW has the best order-deal? Traditionally, they have been known for good lease-deals,partly due to the low depreciation and high residual values.

As to why aren't I interested in doing that? I don't like to wait. I'm not that worried about it being exactly to my specs. Maybe if I was buying a car to drive for 10 years but for a 3 year lease?
Even ordering a car doesn't necessarily mean it will come EXACTLY to your specs....much depends on how the manufacturer bundles the color/trim/option choices. With the Lacrosse, for example, I still had to make a few compromises....it was not possible to get one exactly to my liking. But that's been the case with virtually every new car I've ever owned.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-17 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've never encountered a brand that is as open and welcoming to special orders as BMW, they have a great setup for buyers to watch their cars going through the process, European (or less enticing Alabaman lol) delivery options. Mercedes is similar but not quite as good. If you want to custom order a car, hard to find a company that accommodates that better than BMW.

It's almost impossible to custom order a Lexus by comparison. They don't want to do it and it's obvious when you try.
Old 04-30-17, 05:14 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agreed. Well said.
Yes, it is definitely working. I'm in my mid 20's and Lexus is one of three car brands where every product appeals to me (the others are Audi and VW). I know of many people around my age range who are enamored with the RC and IS variants.
Old 04-30-17, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've never encountered a brand that is as open and welcoming to special orders as BMW, they have a great setup for buyers to watch their cars going through the process, European (or less enticing Alabaman lol) delivery options. Mercedes is similar but not quite as good. If you want to custom order a car, hard to find a company that accommodates that better than BMW.

It's almost impossible to custom order a Lexus by comparison. They don't want to do it and it's obvious when you try.
Part of that may gets back to where the cars are actually built. In many cases, it's easier to order something from a domestic plant in the U.S. (or nearby Canada) than it is to order from halfway around the world, such as Japan/China/Korea. Of course, BMW, and some other European manufacturers, used to have an extra-cost package (I don't know if they still do) where you would place your order here, fly to Europe, pick up your new car at the plant (or the closest dealer to the plant) where the plant will build and deliver it to American-specs, spend a week or two at some nice hotels and driving around Europe, taking in the scenery and/or the Alps, and then have the car shipped back to the U.S., where you pick it up at the harbor (New York?) and drive it back home. Nice deal...except that, by the time you finally get it back home, it's not really a new car any more LOL.
Old 04-30-17, 05:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's no easier to special order cars from Germany than it is from Japan. Lexus could do it, they just don't want to. It's inefficient and the Japanese are all about efficiency.

They still have European delivery as an option, as does Mercedes. Sometimes that actually saves you money because it does something with the tariffs...
Old 04-30-17, 09:18 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

It's no easier to special order cars from Germany than it is from Japan. Lexus could do it, they just don't want to. It's inefficient and the Japanese are all about efficiency.

They still have European delivery as an option, as does Mercedes. Sometimes that actually saves you money because it does something with the tariffs...
ED doesnt really save you money. as you end up spending most of your so called discount on just enjoying the car in europe (which is not a bad thing at all). 2 weeks of free time in Europe, unrestricted autobahns, and basically enjoying having your ride in with ya is beyond words. Some offer airfare like Volvo some just offer you pickup to the delivery center. These are on any vehicle made in Europe only tho. bottom line is if you want a discount look for the year end clearance that BMW, and Yearly EOPs which arrive around the end of Q1.

For Lexus, offering prepaid maintenance would be interesting, but then again not a substantial play maker versus the germans since reliability is a pillar of what Lexus's brand is all about.

I think the idea that Lexus new products are lacking in every way is completely true. However, having said that, I`d say that compared to every other brand, Lexus makes some of the most reliable cars that a buyer can depend on, and if one day that could somehow make both reliable vehicles with tech and driving that outdo their counterparts, I`d wager that Lexus would still not be recognized for anything, and loose money. So, why invest with zero ROI.

Last edited by coolsaber; 04-30-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 09:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by lexslexus
Some people like my mother are put off by the new products but others, like the original owner of my LS 400, don't mind at all. She traded it in for a brand new Lexus after 21 trouble free years.
No brand can survive with customers that typically only come back every 21 yrs.
Old 05-01-17, 06:22 AM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That was one of my points...PERFORMANCE. There are ZL1 Camaros out there running circles around Porsches. Lexus has the talent to have developed such a vehicle. Is the LS500 that vehicle? not by a long shot. Sooner or later the older generation folks will die off and Lexus will be the BUICK of the Japanese brands, unless INNOVATION AND PASSION are reignited. Toyoda-san is a car guy and there is hope on the horizon. Ironically, the new 2018 Camry was developed to be a "drivers car" instead of just basic transportation from point A to B. That is the innovation I am looking for across the brand. The mid-sized segment is highly competitive and Toyota has held the lead over Accord and Altima, but the gap is diminishing. I believe the changes to the '18 will propel it into much higher sales.
Back to Lexus...I want the glory days back, when Lexus was on top. It can be done.

Originally Posted by greg3852
If they want to compete in the performance market then they need to come up with a vehicle that can wow people that doesnt cost $150k.

Last edited by 2008GS; 05-01-17 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-01-17, 06:27 AM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No brand can survive with customers that typically only come back every 21 yrs.
Well-spoken...they engineered themselves out of business by building a quality product??? How will Lexus broaden the appeal to younger buyers. They must not follow in Buick's footsteps. They must reinvent the wheel. I am a forward-thinking guy. The next big thing is just around the corner. I have faith Toyoda-san has a plan.
Old 05-01-17, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2008GS
Well-spoken...they engineered themselves out of business by building a quality product??? How will Lexus broaden the appeal to younger buyers.
While it by no means true across the board, many young people today simply aren't interested in cars at all....they are wedded all day long to their electronic toys.

They must not follow in Buick's footsteps.
Buick turned to Opel for many of its newer products....and it has, in fact, significantly lowered the brand's average buyer-age. Dealers, for example, can't keep Encores in stock. GM, however, is selling off Opel, and that could affect future designs.

Quick Reply: Lexus New Products are Lacking