Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus New Products are Lacking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 07:15 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I agree with RNM about the choice point

Rich folks love to choose particulars

Lexus is not correctly addressing this market regarding customization

Check out the Porsche site and see how they exploded the Panamera line with iterations, and once you pick your version, the options/choices you can spend coin on are outstanding
Old 04-30-17, 07:36 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I buy cars off the lot, even if it's an MB or BMW I would never order a car.
BMW locks in your lease rate.

Why not order the color combo you want and every option you need and none that you don't.
The deal you negotiate will be the same.
Old 04-30-17, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I've helped people negotiate BMWs so I know how that works. If you want to order a car nobody does it as well as BMW, Mercedes is almost as good. However, I have found it easier to negotiate a better deal on something in stock, and that makes sense.

As to why aren't I interested in doing that? I don't like to wait. I'm not that worried about it being exactly to my specs. Maybe if I was buying a car to drive for 10 years but for a 3 year lease?

Nothing wrong with ordering, the issue is insinuating that EVERYONE cares about that. Lexus sells plenty of cars without having a customizable order system. Most BMW buyers buy off the lot too, if they didn't why would BMW dealers carry so much stock? Why not just have a little dealer where you order if that's all people do?
Old 04-30-17, 08:45 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Lexus is still a new brand compared to the German cars you are comparing them with.

Lexus never had the 10 drivetrain choices that come with all those big German cars. They never offered 100 different interior packages/wheel packages/ and exterior trim. So on and so forth.

Nothing new here. That just tells you there's still plenty of room to grow, to possibly have a competitive F division that doesn't trail behind the others like it does today, and to offer more variations of submodels of every vehicle they make.

Look at how many 3 series or 5 series variants you can pick from. But the GS and IS only have a few options. Same with the LS, LX, GX, ES, RX. You get the point.

And as already noted, it doesn't help that your fully loaded Corolla and Civic come with most gadgets that anybody could ever want and that kind of technology is no longer exclusive to $100k luxury cars.
Old 04-30-17, 10:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Lexus is still a new brand compared to the German cars you are comparing them with.

Lexus never had the 10 drivetrain choices that come with all those big German cars. They never offered 100 different interior packages/wheel packages/ and exterior trim. So on and so forth.

Nothing new here. That just tells you there's still plenty of room to grow, to possibly have a competitive F division that doesn't trail behind the others like it does today, and to offer more variations of submodels of every vehicle they make.

Look at how many 3 series or 5 series variants you can pick from. But the GS and IS only have a few options. Same with the LS, LX, GX, ES, RX. You get the point.

And as already noted, it doesn't help that your fully loaded Corolla and Civic come with most gadgets that anybody could ever want and that kind of technology is no longer exclusive to $100k luxury cars.
This would be a valid argument if Lexus was independent but they are owned by the richest automaker in the world - Toyota, which gives them a tremendous advantage.

Audi was nothing in the 80s and most of the 90s people would not touch them with a 10foot pole. Look at them now.

Look what Tesla has accomplished with zero auto manufacturing expertise.

Lexus changed the Luxury game once and they can do it again - just need the right leadership at Toyota HQ.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-30-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-30-17, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Makes no difference really for Lexus. They seem to sell almost as much cars as MB or BMW does.
Old 04-30-17, 10:20 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Makes no difference really for Lexus. They seem to sell almost as much cars as MB or BMW does.
Yes but the transaction prices are way lower - once you go over $60k, Lexus sells very few units.
Old 04-30-17, 10:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Another stage for the same few people to (re-)beat their (long) dead horses, and trying to push their own biases and opinions as gospel truth. We seem to have these on a regular basis now. I am starting to wonder if it is the same 1 or 2 people with different forum names.
It seems like it is the same argument over and over again. You are correct!
Old 04-30-17, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

lexus sells mostly ES (fwd), RX (fwd mostly), IS, and NX (fwd mostly), with very limited options configurations (just a few packages). not surprising the avg transaction price is way lower than mb, bmw, etc. which have a zillion options.
Old 04-30-17, 12:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would like to see Lexus start offering a 4 year maintenance plan. Anyone agree?

One area that Lexus and Toyota are lacking for real is the service intervals. They need to go to a one visit per year model than the Germans are currently offering on MB and BMW. Even worse is that new Lexus models only get one oil change per year but the other visit needs to be eliminated.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-30-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 12:36 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008GS
This is a rant in hopes that Mr.Toyoda is listening...before you send me hate mail, let me explain. I have worked as a Lexus Svc Advisor and been immersed in the Lexus world for several years. I own 2 Lexus currently, and had two others in the past. My allegiance is to Lexus. My favorite book is "The Lexus Story". I have been fortunate to enjoy and participate in the glory days of sales and marketing successes during the 2000-2006 years when Lexus owned the Luxury segment. However, the glory days are over. Lexus RULED the Luxury sedan segment only to lose it back to the Germans. I currently work for Nissan/Infiniti and I see up close their product and marketing strategies. The new 400hp twin turbo V6 is awesome. They are outselling the IS/GS by a large margin. Lexus WAS state-of-the-art but today the competition has copied us and caught up to us. Lexus innovations like French-stitched leather, premium materials, top tier service departments, in-store bistros, door-to-door vehicle service, all copied by competitors. The new Q60S coupe is beautiful in design, luxurious in appointments, and fast in performance. The Q50S is another sales success. Mr. Toyoda states he wants LEXUS to be more performance oriented and that is GREAT. However, he isn't offering products to compete. The F products are top notch, but fall short of competitors in their price category. There is talk of nuking the next gen GS! We need to regain #1 status. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the RC-F (naturally-aspired V8 is rare today), but due to the construction of the platform, the car is too heavy to compete. The LC500 is awesome and a possibly segment-leader. The new LS is astonishingly elegant and luxurious. But, if Lexus cannot create new innovations, we are in trouble. Am I the only one who feels Lexus has lost it's way? Please provide positive feedback and reasons to support why I should remain optimistic about the Lexus brand.
I feel like you sabotaged your own argument by pointing out that the subsequent 2 NEW Lexus products will be stellar. If the new LC and LS were shaping up to be disappointments, you would have a stronger case but you yourself admitted these two cars are already getting widespread positive buzz prior to their market release.
Old 04-30-17, 12:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
All those 'luxury features' like heated rear seats and moonroofs can be had on a Hyundai Elantra now. Seemingly all manufacturers are coming to an equilibrium where content is the same, reliability and much more, to the point where its pick your favorite badge and color. That's no big deal. That's why you differentiate by your dealership experience, the stories of the processes that make the vehicle special etc. Sales is a teeter totter, and most everyone gets time in the spotlight before someone else comes and hogs it.

I'd bet the 208hp and 300hp Q50/60's are outselling the 400hp version.

No one is fully state of the art. Just because a vehicle has a luxury badge does not make it the cream of the crop.

Imitation is a sincerest form of flattery. Obviously Lexus is doing something right for automakers to mirror practices. But even so, Lexus holds onto its covenant.

Agreed on the exterior. Though you neglect to mention the Q50 and Q60 get knocked time and again for the dual screen waterfall. Though I haven't heard much since its release, but DAS was also a huge sore spot.

These things don't happen over night. In five short years since the 2013 GS's release in 2012, the GS has ushered a change in design, dynamics, and luxury throughout the line-up. Now we're on the cusp of a new generation of powertrains that will begin to find their way into the Lexus stable.

If you work for a dealership then you know your sales department has sold performance cars for less than the sticker, . Not to mention if you've taken your classes and have the tenure needed, sometimes you qualify for a Master Lease by your dealership and/or manufacturer you represent.

cmk1 debunked that myth. There will most definitely be a 5th generation GS.

One doesn't have to gloat to be the best. If your product and service are truly outstanding, then they will speak for themselves.

The RC and RC F were built on 3IS, IS C, 4GS underpinnings back when the LF-C2 concept (RC Convertible) was in the cards. The project was since shelved. The 2018 LS500 lost 200lbs on the new GA-L platform, a good sign that when the RC comes due for its redesign, it will be presumably lighter along with IS and GS stablemates.

What innovations do you want? Lexus is debuting a new multi-stage transmission on several models. LS will be debuting a version of LSS+ with Pedestrian Avoidance. Methods of design like pleated door trims inspired by Origami, and unique glass inserts are showing Lexus is designing interiors with more emotion and expression.

If the nomenclature for the 2018 NX is changing from 200t to NX300, and the LS 3.5L V6TT finds its way into the IS, RC, and GS, then its a good bet GS400 F-Sport is right around the corner to combat the 540i, Q50 Red Sport 400, E400 etc..

Lexus lost their way? This is one of the most exciting times to be around Lexus!

The best arguments are always with facts and not suppositions. Glad to see this in action.
Old 04-30-17, 02:16 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally do not feel that Lexus is lacking at the moment but my mother (typical Lexus customer) does. She really enjoys older Lexi but does not want a newer Lexus for the following reasons:
  • Thinks newer Lexi do not look like luxury cars anymore
  • Hates the new grille
  • Not enough wood grain
  • Not impressed by the interiors
  • Not enough cool technology compared to MB (not sure if this is true as they don't interest me)
  • She heard that the quality is not on par with older Lexi
So, instead of a new Lexus product, she is most interested in a Jaguar XJR and the new E-Class and wants an LS430 for her second car.

Last edited by lexslexus; 04-30-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-30-17, 02:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lexslexus
I personally do not feel that Lexus is lacking at the moment but my mother (typical Lexus customer) does. She really enjoys older Lexi but does not want a newer Lexus for the following reasons:
  • Thinks newer Lexi do not look like luxury cars anymore
  • Hates the new grille
  • Not enough wood grain
  • Not impressed by the interiors
  • Not enough cool technology compared to MB or BMW (not sure if this is true as they don't interest me)
  • She heard that the quality is not on par with older Lexi
So, instead of a new Lexus product, she is most interested in a Jaguar XJR and the new E-Class and wants an LS430 for her second car.
I've heard this time and time again. Many of the original Lexus customers before the spindle grill era are not happy with the new Lexus products. Most new Lexus products are just too in your face and too 370z/Nissan Murano ugly/aggressive looking.
Old 04-30-17, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

They're going after a different market. It's not "wrong", it's a business choice.

Quick Reply: Lexus New Products are Lacking