Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Cruz

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 06:31 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 413 Posts

Have a look at a Colorado zr2 Bison w/ a choice of a 3.6 w/ 305 hp or a 2.8 Diesel w/ 370 lbs of grunt. To me it has a lot more interior room then a Tacoma that feels cramped. The Ranger is a joke.
Old 06-19-20, 06:20 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The F-150 is definitely more comfortable than it used to be...there's no question about that. But, to say, with its typical suspension/tire-specs, that it rides better than a Ridgeline is stretching it....the Ridgeline is not much different from a nice-riding sedan. And, take the time to sample a new Ram 1500 and its coil-spring rear suspension, and I think you will probably find it substantially smoother and quieter than an F-150.
in terms of keeping the rear tires on the pavement on bumpy roads, the ridgeline has an edge. But overall ride quality taking into account noise levels, NVH, big hits and potholes, I feel like the F-150 is one of the best, even if it has a little bit of axle tramp. The upper trim lariat is even better than the dodge with the air suspension. I drove the 2G ridgeline and it felt like it lost torsional rigidity compared to my 1G. I could feel the resonation in the chassis across diagonal wheels over bumps. Which might not be a surprise due to the 1G being overbuilt, it had a semi boxed frame underneath welded to the unibody and those large buttress sheetmetal from the C pillar to the box. Which the 2G has done away with and made a fake line from the cab to box because people are used to seeing those lines in a pickup.
Old 06-19-20, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by oilburner1
in terms of keeping the rear tires on the pavement on bumpy roads, the ridgeline has an edge. But overall ride quality taking into account noise levels, NVH, big hits and potholes, I feel like the F-150 is one of the best, even if it has a little bit of axle tramp. The upper trim lariat is even better than the dodge with the air suspension. I drove the 2G ridgeline and it felt like it lost torsional rigidity compared to my 1G. I could feel the resonation in the chassis across diagonal wheels over bumps. Which might not be a surprise due to the 1G being overbuilt, it had a semi boxed frame underneath welded to the unibody and those large buttress sheetmetal from the C pillar to the box. Which the 2G has done away with and made a fake line from the cab to box because people are used to seeing those lines in a pickup.
OK, fine, I respect your view on that.........as a truck-owner, you are probably more into pickups than I am, and my opinions are made mostly from my own reviews and test-drives. You may have a point about the 2Gen Ridgeline's rigidity-loss....the 1Gen did indeed combine some of the benefits of both BOF and unibody design.
Old 12-09-21, 04:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Instead of starting a new thread (which, IMO, for this, would be a waste of time), I'll just bump this original one.

I went to check out a Santa Cruz today, although I don't have a whole lot to write about it (not enough for even a decent MM Static-Review). It ended up being the last one on the lot, even though the dealer's web-site had said there were two left. (can't depend on those web sites). Turned out it was marked Sold, so I couldn't do a lot of what I usually do inside and out, or a test-drive. It was a Black SEL version with black cloth interior, and not a whole lot of options. Listed for around 30K, and I didn't see any second price-sticker added, although that might (?) be because it was no longer for sale...it was bring held. I didn't ask the selling-price, but one of the Hyundai reps told me a customer had put a deposit on it, so it was technically theirs....maybe they hadn't even worked out the final deal yet. Since most dealerships usually ask $1000 or so for a typical deposit on a typical new vehicle, I was surprised when they said only $500 at that shop. I asked it they could be factory-ordered (got a close friend who is interested in one), and they said generally no....although I don't know why not, considering that it is built here in the U.S., in Hyundai's Montgomery, Alabama plant, and doesn't have to be shipped across the Pacific. Might have something to do with the trucking and railroad-shortages....or current production-shortages.

Anyhow, as for the Santa Cruz itself, an interesting little crossover-pickup. Looking at its size/layout, and execution, I (correctly) guessed that it was done on the Hyundai Tucson/ Kia-Sportage platform. I think, though, that, especially in comparison to the Ford Maverick, its primary competitor (which, I admit, I've only seen in images and not done a review on) the Santa Cruz is somewhat less truck-like, gives away a little more room inside and out due to more slanted/raked-styling, and has a busier-looking grille/front-end. I far prefer the more traditional, squarish, more space-efficient design of the Maverick, and the Maverick's choice of gas or hybrid power-trains, which the Santa Cruz also lacks. Even over and above that, of course, is the fact that the name Ford is a powerful magnet for truck-buyers, who don't usually associate the Koreans with this type of vehicle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-21 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-09-21, 10:03 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Ford sells more Mavericks because they have higher production capacity for them than the Santa Cruz. Same reason why Palisade and Telluride sales combined can't equal the Ford Explorer's despite those two constantly popping up on most "in demand" monthly lists.
Old 12-09-21, 10:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motorola
Ford sells more Mavericks because they have higher production capacity for them than the Santa Cruz.
Even so, perhaps (?) because of chip-shortages, Ford apparently still don't have enough capacity to meet demand for Mavericks, particularly the Hybrid version. I'll withhold a more definite statement until I've had a chance to check out a Maverick in person, but, at least in pictures/images, the Maverick appears to be a better design for a small truck....not surprising, considering that Ford has been in the truck business for over a century.

Same reason why Palisade and Telluride sales combined can't equal the Ford Explorer's despite those two constantly popping up on most "in demand" monthly lists.
It's a somewhat different comparison, however, for the Telluride/Palisade vs. the Explorer. Unless one wants to tow, where the Explorer's RWD comes in handy, IMO the Koreans make a FAR better product in many ways. I can't prove it, but I strongly suspect that a lot of the recent Explorer customers buy it simply because they owned one before (it has always been a popular vehicle), because they are Ford-fans, or out of habit, without really taking an adequately close look at the present one. I found it very disappointing in fit/finish, somewhat loosely-built, and with some (IMO) poorly-designed interior features. Not so for the Telluride and Palisade.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-21 at 10:36 PM.