Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Cruz

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
that ain't sayin much, LOL

Ridgeline starts at $34000 - I think that's the MAIN problem.
I think the Ridgeline exists to simply full capacity for the line that makes whatever else they make on the line. It’s kind of like how Sequoia fills in capacity for tundra. Hondas and Toyotas almost always have a price premium over a Hyundai anyways, so I would expect the Ridgeline to be where it is in the price point
Old 06-03-20, 07:26 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 413 Posts

Really, if you want truck, Why not get a real one to begin with? A few w/ different engine/fuel options. Similar to a JK/JL which no other manufacturer can beat.....You either have one or you don't. Hydundai is better off, sticking to cars & suv's.....Possibly put the money towards the workers/employee's........
Old 06-03-20, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Really, if you want truck, Why not get a real one to begin with?
Simple. Because a "Real" truck is not always necessary. Some people want (or need) a separate bed to carry bulky things, but don't need the heavy-duty characteristics (or the poor gas mileage) of a large or body-on-frame structure. For them, something like the Ridgeline or Santa Cruz is perfect.
Old 06-03-20, 07:43 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. Because a "Real" truck is not always necessary. Some people want (or need) a separate bed to carry bulky things, but don't need the heavy-duty characteristics (or the poor gas mileage) of a large or body-on-frame structure. For them, something like the Ridgeline or Santa Cruz is perfect.
Yea, I could kinda see a unibody, but don't forget about the Dmax in the Colorado.....
Old 06-04-20, 05:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the Ridgeline exists to simply full capacity for the line that makes whatever else they make on the line. It’s kind of like how Sequoia fills in capacity for tundra. Hondas and Toyotas almost always have a price premium over a Hyundai anyways, so I would expect the Ridgeline to be where it is in the price point
So the Sequoia... built in INDIANA... fills in capacity for Tundra, built in TEXAS.... riiiiiight. Nice try. Go again.
Old 06-04-20, 05:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
So the Sequoia... built in INDIANA... fills in capacity for Tundra, built in TEXAS.... riiiiiight. Nice try. Go again.
Current Tundra was built alongside the Sequoia in Indiana. When Toyota realized sales of the Tundra were never gonna pick up steam (when recession hit), they removed the Indiana Tundra production.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-04-20 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 07:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Current Tundra was built alongside the Sequoia in Indiana. When Toyota realized sales of the Tundra were never gonna pick up steam (when recession hit), they removed the Indiana Tundra production.
Current gen Tundra had very little production alongside the current generation Sequoia. Texas was completed in 2006, for the main bulk of the 2007 model year and onward Tundra production. So that would go against the idea that Sequoia, in any way shape or form, in the past 12+ years, has filled any sort of capacity for Tundra. Tacoma fills capacity in Texas for what Tundra was supposed to do.
Old 06-04-20, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Current gen Tundra had very little production alongside the current generation Sequoia. Texas was completed in 2006, for the main bulk of the 2007 model year and onward Tundra production..
Original intent was to manufacture alongside the Tundra. And that happened for 2 model years 07 and 08. Recession changed their plans.

But back to the Hyundai, I don’t think it will do very well vs the established trucks out there

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-04-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 11:09 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 359 Posts

If Hyundai would make their truck a retro-mini-truck, fashioned after the Datsuns and Toyotas of the 70's and 80's, I think they could be wildly successful with it. But, they won't. Their concept looks to be going after Ridgeline, and borrowing from some of the styling ques of Tesla's truck concept. I believe there is a hungry American market for an inexpensive, frame-on-chassis, "tuff-truck." If someone, anyone, would build one, they (I) would come! Ideally, Toyota will go their first.
Old 06-06-20, 09:22 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
If Hyundai would make their truck a retro-mini-truck, fashioned after the Datsuns and Toyotas of the 70's and 80's, I think they could be wildly successful with it. But, they won't. Their concept looks to be going after Ridgeline, and borrowing from some of the styling ques of Tesla's truck concept. I believe there is a hungry American market for an inexpensive, frame-on-chassis, "tuff-truck." If someone, anyone, would build one, they (I) would come! Ideally, Toyota will go their first.
There are a few body on frame trucks, such as the Colarodo w/ the Bison package & then add the 2.8 Dmax, as well as you know the Tacoma & then can't forget about the Gladiator......
Old 06-06-20, 09:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There are a few body on frame trucks, such as the Colarodo w/ the Bison package & then add the 2.8 Dmax, as well as you know the Tacoma & then can't forget about the Gladiator......
It was interesting Toyota had the entire segment all to itself as everyone abandoned it for a while
Old 06-06-20, 09:44 PM
Felix
Pole Position

It was interesting Toyota had the entire segment all to itself as everyone abandoned it for a while
Very true, yea they did.....outside of the Frontier. To me the Tocoma is kinda cramped & I'm a regular size guy.
Old 06-06-20, 09:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Very true, yea they did.....outside of the Frontier. To me the Tocoma is kinda cramped & I'm a regular size guy.
Totally forgot about the Frontier.
Old 06-07-20, 12:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Totally forgot about the Frontier.
So did Nissan.
Old 06-07-20, 11:48 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 359 Posts

All the current "small" trucks are too big and too expensive. The key words are "mini" and "inexpensive" for a potential money maker.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Santa Cruz