Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Cruz

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 12:02 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hyundai Santa Cruz

Click here to view more photos

Hyundai’s Santa Cruz Crossover Truck Concept unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show is the kind of pick-up truck the automaker believes the Millennials would buy. Why bother designing a truck for the Millennials? Well, they represent the second-largest population of car buyers, that’s why.

Hyundai calls these people “Urban Adventurers” and says the Santa Cruz meets their unspoken needs. In the words of Mark Dipko, director, corporate planning, Hyundai Motor America, “this new crossover allows them all the expandable utility they need throughout their active week, from work-life professionalism, to social interests, to a whole variety of outdoor pursuits, without the typical compromises they have come to expect from the industry’s current product offerings.”

So basically it’s about versatility and the Santa Cruz knows a thing or two about that. Unlike traditional pickups, it’s designed to meet the specific group of customers’ desires for expression, efficiency and maneuverability.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/hyu...ver-truck.html
Old 01-12-15, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

First the Veracruz now the Santa Cruz.. I see what you're doing Hyundai
Old 01-12-15, 01:16 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Hyundai unveils interesting Santa Cruz Crossover Truck Concept in Detroit [video]

Has a 190 bhp 2.0-liter turbodiesel engine

Hyundai has introduced today in Detroit the rather surprising Santa Cruz Crossover Truck Concept.

Targeting "millennial lifestyles", Hyundai's brand new concept is rethinking the idea of a utilitarian truck and this vehicle is addressed to new generation of car buyers who are "urban adventurers" and are in need of a versatile yet stylish type of transportation. Rather than implementing a more rugged design suitable for a truck, Hyundai went for a bolder look with a big hexagonal front grille, honeycombed headlights and prominent fog lights featuring LED tech.

The concept rides on oversized alloy wheels equipped with center-locking hubs and wrapped around in Michelin tires matched with yellow Brembo brake calipers. At a first glance it might look like it has only two doors but the Santa Cruz actually comes with rear-hinged rear doors providing an easier access to the rear seats and they blend nicely with the overall design.

Power comes from a four-cylinder, 2.0-liter turbodiesel engine outputting 190 bhp (142 kW) and 300 lb-ft (406 Nm) of torque sent to a HTRAC all-wheel drive system which enables the truck to return 30 mpg US (36 mpg UK or 7.8 liters / 100 km).

Hyundai hasn't said anything about the chances of seeing a production version based on the concept.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501128...rossover-truck
Old 01-12-15, 03:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm a millenial, and if this truck is what my generation wants, you have my permission to launch a genocide against us.
Old 01-13-15, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

The article doesn't say, but I guess we can assume that, like the Honda Ridgeline, this is not a traditional body on frame-rail truck, but a unibody. (it does mention "crossover", though, which usually means unibody)
Old 01-13-15, 06:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'm a millenial, and if this truck is what my generation wants, you have my permission to launch a genocide against us.
This joke of a truck has fail written on it before it even goes on sale.
Old 01-13-15, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

While I disagree that it is a total joke, I have to admit that, if Honda could not succeed in the American market with the Ridgeline, or Subaru with the Baja, the chances are that Hyundai will not succeed with this design either....especially with a new GM Colorado/Canyon already on the market, and an upcoming 2016 Toyota Tundra.....which are real mid-size trucks.
Old 01-21-15, 06:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Why Hyundai Won’t Build a Full-Size Pickup

Long rumored to launch a pickup truck in the U.S. market, Hyundai has stoked the flames with the reveal of the new Santa Cruz concept at the Detroit Auto Show.

A true compact pickup truck, it’s in no way a competitor to top sellers like the F-150 or even the new Chevy Colorado and it isn’t supposed to be.

“We are not exploring conventional pickups,” said Hyundai Motor America VP of product planning Mike O’Brien. “Our competitors have been making full size pickup trucks, some of them for over 100 years, and they certainly know their customers and they make great products. It’s not reasonable for us to think we can walk into that market and have the same level of competitiveness.”

Instead, Hyundai is looking to take the road less traveled with a pickup that’s truly small. “We need to find our own way,” he said.

True, there’s a market demand for smaller pickups, like the mid-size Chevy Colorado or Toyota Tacoma, but those trucks, O’Brien said, still don’t meet the needs of many buyers.

O’Brien said millennials are moving into urban centers at a much higher rate than past generations. “They don’t have that big parking space that we had when we were growing up with our single family home or street parking,” he said. “So maneuverability, parking and cost of ownership issues like fuel economy are much more important for them.”

He also said millennials have fewer cars per family than past generations for the same life stage. “So they’re trying to get vehicles to do more,” he said.

Not only are the new offerings in the mid-size pickup truck market not very small, they’re also not terribly fuel efficient said O’Brien. “They are very large and the fuel economy difference between their full size counterpart isn’t great.”

For that reason they also don’t meet Hyundai’s need to sell more fuel efficient products in order to meet increasingly strict fuel economy targets.

The Santa Cruz, for example, is designed to use four-cylinder engines and possibly even a diesel that O’Brien said could return fuel economy numbers in the “high 30s.”

The capability of modern pickups far exceeds the needs of most buyers, O’Brien said, and for that reason Hyundai is seriously exploring bringing the Santa Cruz to market. “We’re not expecting to get anybody who’s shopping for a full size pickup, but what we do expect is people that need open bed utility and who haven’t selected one of these other products yet will come to this one and say ‘This is good enough for me. It suits my lifestyle.'”
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...duct-boss.html
Old 01-21-15, 06:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Kinda reminds me of the Abat from the side.

Old 01-21-15, 07:54 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a ridgeline from side.
Old 02-26-15, 07:16 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Future Cars: Transforming Hyundai’s Santa Cruz Concept Into A Pickup Truck For The Masses

There are many combinations in life that should never happen; ice cream and raw mince, guns and children, Kardashians and…well anything - all things we’d rather not think about. Yet there are some matches that should be considered; and in this instance, I’m talking about a Hyundai illustrated in ‘Pickup Truck’ format.

Rewind back to this year’s Detroit Motor Show and you’ll no doubt recall Hyundai revealing its Santa Cruz compact utility concept. It was Hyundai’s interpretation of a vehicle that would cater to the needs of people wanting something slightly more practical than an SUV, but not a full-blown pickup.

Recipe for great success may you say? Remember the Subaru Baja? I’m not so sure that it would be a cash cow like Hyundai would want it to be.

Lets move that concept to one side and look at something that could do big things for the Seoul-based manufacturer; I’m talking about a smaller, mid-size truck that looks great with decent off-road and haulage capabilities. Sure, Hyundai and “truck” may be foreign for those looking at a Tacoma, Colorado or Frontier; yet I think with the right attributes it could do well.

Firstly, the design has to appeal; in this instance, a rugged take on Hyundai’s “Fluidic Precision” design language would mix the current corporate look with aggressive creases and diagonal design elements.

The brand’s signature hexagonal front grille (which the rest of the industry seems to be hell-bent on using) sits proudly between recessed LED headlamps, while prominent air inlets house the fog-lights.

Protective plastic cladding protects the lower portion of the body, whilst the rear has a separated cargo bed for other utilitarian configurations. There is only so much you can do with the design of a pickup’s glasshouse - so here it’s rather traditional looking, with a hint of Santa Cruz in the C-Pillars.

Under the hood would ideally sit Hyundai’s current 2.0-liter, four-cylinder turbo from the Sonata; coupled with a new electric-hybrid for fuel efficiency and low-end torque. Power would be sent via an all-wheel drive system and a 6-speed manual or 7-speed dual clutch auto from the all-new Tuscon SUV.

Unlike the Santa Cruz concept which could be based off the new Tucson, this 5-seat compact truck would need to be body-on-frame for better stiffness and load-carrying capacity; unfortunately Hyundai doesn’t have such a dedicated platform, so would need to develop this type of vehicle from the ground up with a lot of investment.

Whilst this offering might have its work cut out for it in the United States of America-land, it could do very well in other parts of the globe like Europe and Asia-Pacific. Light commercial sales in these areas are generally dominated by the likes of Toyota’s Hilux, Ford Ranger (global version), Mitsubishi Triton/L200 and Nissan Navara/Frontier.

Ultimately, this is just my interpretation of a Hyundai pickup, we’d love to know your thoughts on whether or not Hyundai should build such a vehicle in the comments section below.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/fut...ais-santa.html
Old 02-26-15, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,511 Posts

dang, the last rendering there looks hawt.
Old 02-26-15, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Under the hood would ideally sit Hyundai’s current 2.0-liter, four-cylinder turbo from the Sonata; coupled with a new electric-hybrid for fuel efficiency and low-end torque. Power would be sent via an all-wheel drive system and a 6-speed manual or 7-speed dual clutch auto from the all-new Tuscon SUV.
And how expensive is this stuff going to be

I don't think any prospective truck buyer who uses their truck for a truck would be interested in this however I do think there is a niche for sport/sporty pickup trucks like the X-Runners, SVT Lightnings, SRT10's etc.. in this case something sporty and edgy for Hyundai, maybe customizable

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-26-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 10:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a ridgeline

Old 03-17-15, 01:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Hyundai considering pickup after good reaction to Santa Cruz

The Hyundai HCD-15 Santa Cruz pickup concept was one of the stars of the 2015 Detroit Auto Show and even earned fifth place on Autoblog's Editors' Choice list of favorite debuts. The strong response might have been enough to get it made.

Hyundai research and development director Park Byung-cheol said that the company was considering building the truck, according to Reuters. He warned, though, that there were still some obstacles in the way of the pickup arriving to showrooms without saying what those were.

Rumors about Hyundai considering a pickup in the US go back several years but were fruitless. The Santa Cruz's unveiling really reignited things, though. The North American arm of the Korean brand reportedly chose Detroit for the debut so that foreign executives could see the media reaction to the concept. That gamble might have paid off.

Hyundai's pickup at dealers might not look like the Santa Cruz concept, though. The company said the version in Detroit had nothing production-ready about it and even lacked an interior. At the time, a platform still hadn't been decided on, and the brand had several internal design studies underway.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/17/h...on-santa-cruz/

Quick Reply: Hyundai Santa Cruz