Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Cruz

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 02:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I don't believe that's anywhere close to a 5' bed. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
Old 06-17-20, 04:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I'm fine with the outside dimensions of the Tacoma, but the cabin and ergonomics were cramped when I test drove the 2015. I liked the back seat in the double-cab, but then, the bed was small. I would prefer an access cab like my 2001 Tundra. I wouldn't necessarily consider a smaller, mini-truck, but I know a lot of independent landscapers/handymen/construction workers/DYI homeowners who would! I will test drive the next-gen Tundra, if it ever arrives. I don't really want a full-size truck, but if that's the only way I can get a new Toyota truck that doesn't feel cramped inside, I'll do it!

To bring it home...if Toyota can't bring a truck to market that suites me, I'll test drive the new Hyundai truck when it's available.
Did you ever like the T100?
Old 06-17-20, 04:38 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 06-17-20, 05:32 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Did you ever like the T100?
I was driving a '77 Chevy at the time the T100 debuted. I couldn't see stepping down in size/power that drastically. My brother bought one and then became disgusted with it when the T100 had the infamous head gasket recall. He said he bought it for the legendary made-in-Japan, Toyota reliability. Once it was torn apart in the US by the recall mechanic monkeys, he felt it no longer had that reliability, and sold it.
Old 06-17-20, 05:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I was driving a '77 Chevy at the time the T100 debuted. I couldn't see stepping down in size/power that drastically. My brother bought one and then became disgusted with it when the T100 had the infamous head gasket recall. He said he bought it for the legendary made-in-Japan, Toyota reliability. Once it was torn apart in the US by the recall mechanic monkeys, he felt it no longer had that reliability, and sold it.
How was the 77 Chevy?
Old 06-18-20, 11:09 AM
oilburner1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think sales numbers show what the overwhelming majority of people want.....I think BOF trucks out sell the ridgeline like something like 50-1....but yes, the Ridgeline is a fine vehicle for its intended buyer
I agree, its the stigma and people don't like looking like the odd person. Any variation from the conventional truck platform isn't received favorably. Like the avalanche. Or when Ford first came out with the ecoboost. Or the 4 cylinder mustang.

I will say the greatest weakness from the ridgeline and probably this santa cruz is that they will never have the volume to justify a lot of R&D or utilize volumes of scale. The F-150 is an amazing platform, it's been refined and refined and refined. I daresay ride quality is better overall than a ridgeline and fuel economy is dam close.
Old 06-18-20, 11:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by oilburner1
The F-150 is an amazing platform, it's been refined and refined and refined. I daresay ride quality is better overall than a ridgeline and fuel economy is dam close.
The F-150 is definitely more comfortable than it used to be...there's no question about that. But, to say, with its typical suspension/tire-specs, that it rides better than a Ridgeline is stretching it....the Ridgeline is not much different from a nice-riding sedan. And, take the time to sample a new Ram 1500 and its coil-spring rear suspension, and I think you will probably find it substantially smoother and quieter than an F-150.
Old 06-18-20, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, its the stigma and people don't like looking like the odd person. Any variation from the conventional truck platform isn't received favorably. Like the avalanche. Or when Ford first came out with the ecoboost. Or the 4 cylinder mustang.
Yes. I will also add that body on frame trucks are now replacing luxury cars at the high pricer points. The Ridgeline is nowhere the top prices of the F150 or GMC Denali etc. Also power ratings of some of those trucks clear 400hp....Ridgeline has its place in the world...

I will say the greatest weakness from the ridgeline and probably this santa cruz is that they will never have the volume to justify a lot of R&D or utilize volumes of scale. The F-150 is an amazing platform, it's been refined and refined and refined. I daresay ride quality is better overall than a ridgeline and fuel economy is dam close.
It sure is a nice truck.

volumes of scale. The F-150 is an amazing platform
There is even a Toronto Maple Leafs F150 edition for the Toronto market exclusive.

Old 06-18-20, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

There is even a Toronto Maple Leafs F150 edition for the Toronto market exclusive.
interesting. Pictures please!
Old 06-18-20, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
interesting. Pictures please!
https://canada.autonews.com/article/...o-area-dealers
Old 06-18-20, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Cool, thanks. hockey ftw!
Old 06-18-20, 12:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cool, thanks. hockey ftw!
Would have even been more cool if the Ford logo was a Maple Leaf with the words for Ford in there or something along those lines.
Old 06-18-20, 01:06 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 359 Posts

How was the 77 Chevy?
My Chevy was a short-bed, fleet-side, so highly sought after in San Jose, CA! Other than that, with early smog equip and no fuel injection, it always ran with glitches and with strong un-burned gas emissions/smells. I always thought I could make it run great, with much less emissions if I pulled all the smog equipment and installed fuel injection. But doing so would require major red tape and hoops to jump through in order to make it CA legal. Rather than buying the '77, I should have bought an early 70's, smog-exempt model instead. I sold the Chevy and bought the 2001 Tundra, extra-cab, 4x4, V8, SR-5. I would keep it if it had anti-lock brakes and a locking rear diff. When I buy a new Toyota truck I'm also looking forward to the latest array of safety and tech features.
Old 06-18-20, 03:27 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

My Chevy was a short-bed, fleet-side, so highly sought after in San Jose, CA! Other than that, with early smog equip and no fuel injection, it always ran with glitches and with strong un-burned gas emissions/smells. I always thought I could make it run great, with much less emissions if I pulled all the smog equipment and installed fuel injection. But doing so would require major red tape and hoops to jump through in order to make it CA legal. Rather than buying the '77, I should have bought an early 70's, smog-exempt model instead. I sold the Chevy and bought the 2001 Tundra, extra-cab, 4x4, V8, SR-5. I would keep it if it had anti-lock brakes and a locking rear diff. When I buy a new Toyota truck I'm also looking forward to the latest array of safety and tech features.
A locking diff alone will be a huge improvement. When I bought my F150 I went out of my way to find one that had the locking diff and it has been tremendously useful in loose dirt/sand. I'll never own another truck without a locker.

Old 06-18-20, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
A locking diff alone will be a huge improvement. When I bought my F150 I went out of my way to find one that had the locking diff and it has been tremendously useful in loose dirt/sand. I'll never own another truck without a locker.

One would think that a locking-diff, particularly for RWD models, should be standard in pickups.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Santa Cruz