Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Cruz

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 12:16 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I suspect the mini truck is largely dead due to a combination of factors such as:
  1. demand
  2. safety standards(harder to fit airbags and other structural requirements in those tiny trucks while still having room to do some hauling.
  3. chicken tax making importation and sale of such a vehicle cost prohibitive

Old 06-07-20, 12:42 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I suspect the mini truck is largely dead due to a combination of factors such as:
  1. demand
  2. safety standards(harder to fit airbags and other structural requirements in those tiny trucks while still having room to do some hauling.
  3. chicken tax making importation and sale of such a vehicle cost prohibitive
I see some of the points you are making, but I see a demand for an economical, frame-on-chassis mini-truck. Regarding safety standards, if sub-compacts can meet the standards, so too could a mini-truck. If manufacturers built them here, they could avoid high tariffs. Remember the NUMMI Toyota/GM joint venture? They built eight million cars and mini-trucks between 1984 and 2010.

I wanted to buy a 2015 Tacoma, but it was the same size as my 2001 Tundra!
Old 06-07-20, 04:08 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 477 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I see some of the points you are making, but I see a demand for an economical, frame-on-chassis mini-truck. Regarding safety standards, if sub-compacts can meet the standards, so too could a mini-truck. If manufacturers built them here, they could avoid high tariffs. Remember the NUMMI Toyota/GM joint venture? They built eight million cars and mini-trucks between 1984 and 2010.
>>>>I'd think it'd be a small demand & btw there are quite a few south of the border & I say its not worth the chicken tax vs the demand....Thats where used vehicles come in...
I wanted to buy a 2015 Tacoma, but it was the same size as my 2001 Tundra!
Your '01 Tundra is better then a later model Tacoma. Same similar size w/ more interior room.
Old 06-07-20, 04:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Your '01 Tundra is better then a later model Tacoma. Same similar size w/ more interior room.
The original access cab Toyota Tundra was like the perfect size truck
Old 06-07-20, 06:50 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For sure, Basically a upgraded Dakota......I'd go w/ the 4dr if I was wanting one.
Old 06-13-20, 03:00 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Agreed! I hope my 2001 access cab Tundra runs forever as I haven't seen anything as perfect in size, or more perfect, since Toyota up-sized the Tundra. I'm willing to go a little smaller, and I'm even willing to go full-sized when the next generation Tundra comes to market, IF IT EVER HAPPENS! When it is announced, it better be fantastic after Toyota made us wait so long.
Old 06-13-20, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

The original T-100/150 and 1Gen Tundras were almost complete flops in the U.S., because they were simply too small for much of our truck market. Unlike the T-series, the Tundra's first attempt had a Lexus-derived 4.6L V8 engine, but was only three-quarters (maybe seven-eights) size instead of being a true full-sizer. (that simply didn't cut it with F-150/Silverado fans). The 2Gen Tundra solved both the engine (5.7L I-Force V8) and the size-problem (it was a true full-sizer), and finally did begin to sell in significant numbers, but it had some flimsy hardware and build-quality problems unusual for a Toyota.
Old 06-13-20, 04:18 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The original T-100/150 and 1Gen Tundras were almost complete flops in the U.S., because they were simply too small for much of our truck market.
With all due respect, the sales data doesn't back up your post. According to Wikipedia, sales grew each year of the 1gen Tundras and almost reached Toyota's goal of 200K in 2007. When the true, full-sized version debuted, the sales numbers went down and have been at around 100K through 2019.

Tundra's numbers are dwarfed by the big-3's numbers, but the big-3 are way ahead of the game in fleet sales, sales to the government (who only buy American) and to blue-collar workers who are very loyal to buying American. The big three also has a larger market due to their greater number of engine offerings and heavy-duty offerings.

As a Fleet Manager for a large county roads department with over 400 vehicles, I maintained and purchased a lot of pickups. We were forced to buy American, thus, we were cursed with a fleet of pickups with a myriad of repair issues.

Regardless of above, 1gen Tundra owners enjoy a high level of owner satisfaction and reliability, which is echoed in the high re-sale value of these trucks, especially the 4x4's where a 7/8 size profile pays big dividends off-road.

Most people want to believe that when it comes to pickup trucks, bigger is always better. However, I believe there are a lot of people like myself who aren't in construction, so, don't need a full-sized or heavy duty truck. I had hoped the latest gen Tacoma would fit the bill for replacing my 2001 Tundra, but the Tacoma is large on the outside and small on the inside--a bad combination for my needs!
Old 06-13-20, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With all due respect, the sales data doesn't back up your post. According to Wikipedia, sales grew each year of the 1gen Tundras and almost reached Toyota's goal of 200K in 2007. When the true, full-sized version debuted, the sales numbers went down and have been at around 100K through 2019.
It's true that the 1Gen Tundra became more popular with time, but my point was that it never successfully competed wth F-150s, Silverados, or Rams. Your statement about the 1Gen sales in 2007 is also inaccurate.....production of the 1Gen Tundra ended in 2006, and the 2007 model was the start of the larger (and true-full-size) 2Gen 2007, which was launched in January of that year.

Tundra's numbers are dwarfed by the big-3's numbers, but the big-3 are way ahead of the game in fleet sales, sales to the government (who only buy American) and to blue-collar workers who are very loyal to buying American. The big three also has a larger market due to their greater number of engine offerings and heavy-duty offerings.

And there was a reason for that. For years (1994-2006), the Toyota marketers never truly understood the American truck market, and produced trucks that were either too small, had engines that were too small, or both. The 2Gen Tundra solved both problems (at last)...and had a very smooth-running drivetrain, but suffered from deterioration in build-solidness in hardware and fit/finish.
Old 06-13-20, 04:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, back to the Santa Cruz. According to Car and Driver, it will have free 3/36 maintenance in addition to its 10/100 and 5/60 warranties.

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/santa-cruz
Old 06-13-20, 10:17 PM
Felix
Pole Position

I'd just as soon be looking at the used trucks, lot of different choices there, or look at the big 3 w/ a diesel power, 25-30 mpg.......
Old 06-14-20, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

As a Fleet Manager for a large county roads department with over 400 vehicles, I maintained and purchased a lot of pickups. We were forced to buy American, thus, we were cursed with a fleet of pickups with a myriad of repair issues.

Regardless of above, 1gen Tundra owners enjoy a high level of owner satisfaction and reliability, which is echoed in the high re-sale value of these trucks, especially the 4x4's where a 7/8 size profile pays big dividends off-road.

Most people want to believe that when it comes to pickup trucks, bigger is always better. However, I believe there are a lot of people like myself who aren't in construction, so, don't need a full-sized or heavy duty truck. I had hoped the latest gen Tacoma would fit the bill for replacing my 2001 Tundra, but the Tacoma is large on the outside and small on the inside--a bad combination for my needs!
There really is no point discussing sometimes lol.

You are right, The sales numbers for the 1st gen Tundra were solid, and then met the Toyota expectations as well. What the 1st gen Tundra did is that is more a “Toyota” truck than the newest gen Tundra that was more like a “America” truck. My son-in-law has a red Tundra from 2003, now with 580,000km. Some things needed changing out like the steering rack, bumper and other cosmetic parts but it has held up very well. Continues that “Toyota” feeling those people who can appreciate Toyota. First gen Tundra creates a following, a very good one. So did the T100 which was cool as it was made in Japan....someone at the marina we are part of have a 1996 model with no 750km,.... (specs wise, the American trucks were better) but Tundra was appealing to a different demographic at the time, the loyal Toyota owner who might have owned Toyota trucks or SUVs previously

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-14-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There really is no point discussing sometimes lol.
Oh yes there is.

https://www.autonews.com/article/200...-sized-failure

Originally Posted by article
Oh, and Toyota had zero experience building big trucks.

But their counterparts at Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. had persisted. The Americans wanted a big ol' truck, with all the trimmings.

The two sides never really got together, and the result was a tentative and ultimately unsuccessful first effort to enter the large-pickup segment.

Getting it right took about 15 years — not the kind of learning curve Toyota is accustomed to. Although Toyota didn't deliberately set out to blunder with its first two efforts, some insiders think the company had to fail before it could succeed.

"We looked at it as a three-generation strategy," says Chris Hostetter, vice president of advanced product strategy and product planning. "We saw it as, 'Get into the market, improve it, then get it right.' "

One reason it took so long was that the executives, engineers and product planners in Nagoya simply did not understand the U.S. full-sized pickup market.
^^^^^Which is exactly what I've been saying

Old 06-14-20, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Felix
I'd just as soon be looking at the used trucks, lot of different choices there, or look at the big 3 w/ a diesel power, 25-30 mpg.......

Good points. Another question is how much the upcoming electric trucks will make inroads into that market. I'm not terribly Gung-Ho on their prospects, but they can't be ruled out, particularly with the recent Tesla-craze.
Old 06-15-20, 04:02 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...production of the 1Gen Tundra ended in 2006, and the 2007 model was the start of the larger (and true-full-size) 2Gen 2007, which was launched in January of that year....the Toyota marketers never truly understood the American truck market, and produced trucks that were either too small, had engines that were too small, or both.
OK, I got 2007 wrong, but not entirely. True, 2007 was the 1st year of the 2gen. However, the sales numbers for that year would have included clearing out the 2006 models that didn't sell in 2006. So, let's throw out the sales figures for 2007 and look at the "undiluted" average sales of both gens. The first 7 years, 2000-2006, of the 1gen averaged 110,639 units/yr. The 2gen averaged 103,671 units/yr for 2008-2014. Thus, you, and the sources you cite, have it wrong when you contend that Toyota didn't know how to market trucks in America. The 2gen was bigger and more powerful, yet it sold less per year than the 1st gen.

Here's a quote from Wiki that supports my contention that there is a market for smaller-than-full-size trucks in America: "At its introduction, the Tundra had the highest initial vehicle sales for Toyota in its history. It was selected as Motor Trend's Truck of the Year award for 2000 and Best Full- Size Truck from Consumer Reports."

Quick Reply: Hyundai Santa Cruz