Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow >

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-04-14, 06:44 PM
  #16  
hlee12
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: il
Posts: 477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

lexus needs to do something because MB is selling nearly 2000 S class every month at much higher msrp.

June sales

LS - 582
Equus & K900 - 474
XJ - 408
Q70 - 379
RLX - 229


i do dig LS's interior. exterior is ok IMO. but IMO, it needs to get better.
hlee12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 06:46 PM
  #17  
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post
Besides reliability and overall build quality, there is no other reason to get an LS at this point.

All of its main competitors are superior in power, driving dynamics, luxury features, and customization.

Sclass, 7series, A8, XJ
Except when you actually compare these cars in person, and realize all of that is bull****.

Originally Posted by hlee12 View Post
lexus needs to do something because MB is selling nearly 2000 S class every month at much higher msrp.

June sales

LS - 582
Equus & K900 - 474
XJ - 408
Q70 - 379
RLX - 229


i do dig LS's interior. exterior is ok IMO. but IMO, it needs to get better.
Lol nice attempt at shoehorning the Korean pretenders. Q70 and RLX are not comparable.

YTD sales:

XJ: 2322
A8: 2634
LS: 3954
7er:- 4711
S-class: 11231

The LS is from 2007, A8 is from 2011, 7er is from 2009, S-class is new. This is not a Lexus only problem, it's an issue for everyone who isn't the S-class.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 07-04-14 at 07:09 PM.
Mr. Burns is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 06:59 PM
  #18  
RNM GS3
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 3,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Except when you actually compare these cars in person, and realize all of that is bull****.
Not sure what u mean by that???
The build quality and attention to detail on all these cars are AMAZING.

LS is lacking big time on performance compared to base versions of its competitors - im not even talking bout S63, S8, Alpina 7, XJR - i mean LS is not even in the same ballgame with those other cars.

Luxury owners in that segment want to pick and choose colors, options, etc.
Lexus is very limited in this regard.
LS Fsport was nice addition but very limited....

My dad had an 08 LS460 and now he has an 12 XJL - besides the Nav system, the Jag is on another level.
RNM GS3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 07:04 PM
  #19  
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 1,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post
Not sure what u mean by that???
The build quality and attention to detail on all these cars are AMAZING.

LS is lacking big time on performance compared to base versions of its competitors - im not even talking bout S63, S8, Alpina 7, XJR - i mean LS is not even in the same ballgame with those other cars.

Luxury owners in that segment want to pick and choose colors, options, etc.
Lexus is very limited in this regard.
LS Fsport was nice addition but very limited....

My dad had an 08 LS460 and now he has an 12 XJL - besides the Nav system, the Jag is on another level.
From my experience the LS has the best interior in the segment right now, not by looking at photos, not by reading reviews, by actually sitting in the cars back to back and comparing. The performance variations of the other cars are niche, they're not the volume drivers, so it's not a solution to low volume.

The limited customization is a legit problem, but I question its true impact.

The biggest problem with the LS is that it's old. The L-finesse styling and the interior/exterior refresh have aged it well, but it's been over 8 years now, time for a new one.
Mr. Burns is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 07:20 PM
  #20  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 8,574
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
From my experience the LS has the best interior in the segment right now, not by looking at photos, not by reading reviews, by actually sitting in the cars back to back and comparing. The performance variations of the other cars are niche, they're not the volume drivers, so it's not a solution to low volume.

The limited customization is a legit problem, but I question its true impact.

The biggest problem with the LS is that it's old. The L-finesse styling and the interior/exterior refresh have aged it well, but it's been over 8 years now, time for a new one.
Agreed. The current 13/14 LS interior is simply a stunning work of art at least for me it is. The 07-12 was flawed, dated, and boring right from the release date. Same with the exterior.

I should also mention that I meant to say that I hope Lexus does NOT make the LS a hybrid only model. That is what I meant to say.
LexsCTJill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 07:24 PM
  #21  
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NSW
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

While the refresh interior is nice, the exterior tend to look odd from most angles.
yowps3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 07:46 PM
  #22  
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 36,357
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow
As they should be. This year the NX and RC get the spotlight, GS refresh and F and RX in 2015, and a new LS likely in 2016. I have no doubt the next LS will be 8th wonder of the world.
Hoovey2411 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14, 09:26 PM
  #23  
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 8,574
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
While the refresh interior is nice, the exterior tend to look odd from most angles.
I don't agree with you, the exterior looks much better than before
LexsCTJill is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:05 AM
  #24  
hlee12
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: il
Posts: 477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Except when you actually compare these cars in person, and realize all of that is bull****.
perception is the reality. LS maybe as good as germans, but probably many people think it is inferior in driving dynamics. it's just like people thinking LS is 10 times more reliable than germans.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Lol nice attempt at shoehorning the Korean pretenders. Q70 and RLX are not comparable.

YTD sales:

XJ: 2322
A8: 2634
LS: 3954
7er:- 4711
S-class: 11231

The LS is from 2007, A8 is from 2011, 7er is from 2009, S-class is new. This is not a Lexus only problem, it's an issue for everyone who isn't the S-class.
it's alarming that lexus only sold 100 ish more than korean pretenders with no luxury badge in june. if i'm lexus i would freak out. and all i did was including other flagships with poor sales in june and compare that to the king - s class which is mentioned in this thread. i didn't have a8 number with me. i knew a8 was struggling forever. we need a new thread for that. it's downright pathetic. lol

and doesn't matter if LS is from 2007. most thinks it's new. it has a new face and new interior. it successfully wears the new lexus design language. and IMO, that's the problem.


Originally Posted by spwolf View Post
2014 LS looks pretty damn good... the segment is dying - just because Ward Auto added Panamera and A7 and Tesla S to it, doesnt meant it is not dying.

I would think that a lot of Tesla S buyers would never consider car like LS or S class. IMHO Panamera and A7 are not exactly the same class.

As to competition being better, obviously MB is all new, but LS can easily hold its own vs A8 and 7 series, as the sales numbers show - it outsold them all YTD.
can't say it's dying when MB is selling nearly 2000 s classes every month. it's like Jordan playing with bunch of orlando woodridges. get better and people will buy. 7series is awful(hate the huge nostril), a8 doesn't stand out on the road(a8 always lacked presence IMO), LS looks like a spaceship to many(i like it, but spindle grill is love/hate) etc, etc. XJ never really sold well in past 8-10 years so doesn't even matter.

just get better like S class did. it will sell.


Originally Posted by BrickHead View Post
We have bought two LS in the past. I guess you can call us loyal Lexus fans. We love the Lexus reliability and wanted very much to get the 2013 LS when it was launched in late 2012. However, I have to be honest with you guys, the current LS looks so hideous! We hardly see any new LS around town. We have leased two MB GL450 in the past years. When/If Lexus designs a classy and nice looking LS we will come back to the Lexus family. Until then, we are Lexus expatriates
my parents also owned 2 LSs and they are almost disgusted by the radical change. they are old korean folks who loved past LSs more than any other cars out there. i'm pretty sure this is one of the biggest reason why LS isn't doing as well as they used to be.


Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
I don't agree with you, the exterior looks much better than before
i agree too. but IMO it lost the flagship presence a little.

this is a major problem. targeting younger demo wanting to be more hip.


IMO, LS should always focus on these people. eh, like my dad.

who are their core target market? young loaded dudes in late 30's? no. it's the 50's and 60's with money playing golf, wanting the ultimate comfort in I-95. this love/hate design drives away many potential buyers IMO because no matter how great it maybe, it's not them. it takes too long to get used to. they must be opening up their wallet and buy new S class because one looks like a proper flagship, but other looks like an alien spaceship to them.

i understand the logic behind the targeting young, wanting LS to look younger and bolder. but obviously it is not working.
by the way, i actually love the look of LS. it works for me. but i'm 35 and i never really liked previous LSs.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-05-14 at 09:40 AM.
hlee12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:36 AM
  #25  
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 53,802
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Default

yeah these ads always featuring stylish 30s/40s couples getting into or out of the car at a hotel or other fancy building are so played out.



i get the idea... that you've "arrived" and make an "impression". a lot of people aren't looking to impress others though.
bitkahuna is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:40 AM
  #26  
RXSF
Moderator
 
RXSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,322
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

that is an unsustainable demographic. The old will die off, the young who will become old will tend to look at brands that they have trusted in the past. You have to target young so that you get them when they are old
RXSF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:45 AM
  #27  
hlee12
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: il
Posts: 477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RXSF View Post
that is an unsustainable demographic. The old will die off, the young who will become old will tend to look at brands that they have trusted in the past. You have to target young so that you get them when they are old

i disagree. we are getting older and older. 60 is new 50 IMO. you want LS to be the ultimate retirement gift. you work hard all your life and your reward is a brand spankin new LS.

and i get the logic of targeting young. brands do that all the time. NFL is targeting teenage girls. MMA is targeting women and kids.
but obviously for LS, it's not working. it was a gamble IMO. gambling with your flagship can be dangerous.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-05-14 at 09:58 AM.
hlee12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:50 AM
  #28  
hlee12
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: il
Posts: 477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

life expectancy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
it's only gonna go up. and you are targeting rich 60 year olds. they expect to live another 30 years comfortably. IMO, LS should rethink their target market.
hlee12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 09:59 AM
  #29  
RXSF
Moderator
 
RXSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,322
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

If you target old, you only get old. If you target young, you might get some young, and you also get some old people who want to be feel young. Also even though that commercial is for the LS, it is also a commercial for the Lexus brand. Young people are more likely to pay attention when there are young people on the screen. Then they might go out and buy an IS.
RXSF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-14, 10:09 AM
  #30  
hlee12
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: il
Posts: 477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RXSF View Post
If you target old, you only get old. If you target young, you might get some young, and you also get some old people who want to be feel young. Also even though that commercial is for the LS, it is also a commercial for the Lexus brand. Young people are more likely to pay attention when there are young people on the screen. Then they might go out and buy an IS.
Lexus has plenty of young people's car, IS, RC, CT, and new NX. and Lexus already got cooler with LFA and LF-LC.


IMO consistency is important.


LS needs to go back to its original message.


IMO, LS should always be stately, elegant, and serene. it needs to be all about 'pursuit of perfection'. to me, the current LS looks like a provocative design statement. 'i don't want to be old anymore!'

Last edited by hlee12; 07-05-14 at 10:12 AM.
hlee12 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: