Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 07:31 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Oh yeah! LX is the best full sized SUV on the planet, period. Don't try to sell me that Range Rover crap.

One thing LX needs is modern hybrid powertrain and hopefully that is coming with the redesign. From what we've seen they are coming out with the diesel as well, finally! I mean it's always been there and I don't know why they didn't use it since day one. Come to think of it, LX has the best designed vertical pillar dashboard of the old Lexus cars. Its till a beauty.

Back to LS, when did it loose parallel self parking feature? Right after first minor facelift right? Or before that?
obviously people are buying the crap over the best.

june sales
range rover - 1481
LX - 264
Old 07-05-14, 08:01 PM
LexFather

I wish I hand't gotten wind of this thread...unfortunately the usual suspects with no clue to the luxury market are posting their usual biases which are just incorrect.

I'm 36, I drive this.. internetz minds must explode. Oh and its not just me either, quite a few young people in the LS forum with a new LS..While people on the sidelines can say the LS is only for 90 year olds, the previous sport and now F-sport has truly attracted younger buyers. F-sport has been an amazing success for Lexus, with sales higher than projected for every single model.

For anyone that thinks the LS drives worst in class, they haven't driven the entire class. Nothing in the class drives poor, its about priorities. Too many people on the internet that haven't driven one or have driven a 1995 LS back in 1995 continue to regurgitate they drive the same. They do not. And the amazing S-class is not some dynamic sporty car. It drives like it should, floaty, disconnected and plush, like a LS.

Hlee (CP1) you regurgitate the same biased data over and over all over the internet. How can you claim the LS is cheaper than the S-class and not compare them then in the very same breathe, say the Korean's are worrying Lexus when their loaded price is where the LS 460 starts. That makes absolutely no sense. The RLX and Q70 are brought up? What are you trying to prove on a Lexus forum? It is ridiculous.

When I went to Japan I learned that the next LS is going to be ****ing amazing. The current model had a significant refresh with over 3,000 parts and as the article stated. LEXUS IS UNFAZED as they know they have basically a refresh versus a new LS. Lets also not forget in 2006 the LS was selling over 2,500 to 3,000 cars a month. Of course and older car will sell less.

i've driven every car in this class quite a bit, they are all awesome. I would have NEVER considered a LS if the F-sport wasn't around. Most people don't even know what it includes, well it is not just some new bumpers and wheels. It surely is no 911 but it is by far the sportiest Lexus around and fits my needs perfectly, even if its not perfect. The Model S was considered, as the diesel A8 L. Again for the price of a LS, you mostly get a 6 cylinder from the competition. This isn't 1995 where it was a handful of large models, we have the Panamera, super SUVs, Tesla and a crowded market.

BTW anyone saying the Tesla is a worry hasn't seen the data. The Tesla is not replacing cars, it is an addition for someone.

So I'll let the usual suspects bash Lexus, bash the LS, and I'll just be forced to drive this sometimes. Took this pic today just for this thread.

I honestly don't understand the same people over and over bashing and making up a bunch of crap about a car and market they have no idea about. Its like me telling Ferrari owners how their cars are not that good and Aston Martin/Lambo are better and the new Califormia refresh was dumb and I don't own the car and I have minimal experience with that market.

Old 07-05-14, 08:03 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I wish I hand't gotten wind of this thread...unfortunately the usual suspects with no clue to the luxury market are posting their usual biases which are just incorrect.

I'm 36, I drive this.. internetz minds must explode. Oh and its not just me either, quite a few young people in the LS forum with a new LS..While people on the sidelines can say the LS is only for 90 year olds, the previous sport and now F-sport has truly attracted younger buyers. F-sport has been an amazing success for Lexus, with sales higher than projected for every single model.

For anyone that thinks the LS drives worst in class, they haven't driven the entire class. Nothing in the class drives poor, its about priorities. Too many people on the internet that haven't driven one or have driven a 1995 LS back in 1995 continue to regurgitate they drive the same. They do no. And the amazing S-class is not some dynamic sporty car. It drives like it should, floaty, disconnected and plush, like a LS.

Hlee (CP1) you regurgitate the same biased data over and over all over the internet. How can you claim the LS is cheaper than the S-class and not compare them then in the very same breathe, say the Korean's are worrying Lexus when their loaded price is where the LS 460 starts. That makes absolutely no sense. The RLX and Q70 are brought up? What are you trying to prove on a Lexus forum? It is ridiculous.

When I went to Japan I learned that the next LS is going to be ****ing amazing. The current model had a significant refresh with over 3,000 parts and as the article stated. LEXUS IS UNFAZED as they know they have basically a refresh versus a new LS. Lets also not forget in 2006 the LS was selling over 2,500 to 3,000 cars a month. Of course and older car will sell less.

i've driven every car in this class quite a bit, they are all awesome. I would have NEVER considered a LS if the F-sport wasn't around. Most people don't even know what it includes, well it is not just some new bumpers and wheels. It surely is no 911 but it is by far the sportiest Lexus around and fits my needs perfectly, even if its not perfect. The Model S was considered, as the diesel A8 L. Again for the price of a LS, you mostly get a 6 cylinder from the competition.

So I'll let the usual suspects bash Lexus, bash the LS, and I'll just be forced to drive this sometimes. Took this pic today just for this thread.

I honestly don't understand the same people over and over bashing and making up a bunch of crap about a car and market they have no idea about. Its like me telling Ferrari owners how their cars are not that good and Aston Martin/Lambo are better and the new Califormia refresh was dumb and I don't own the car and I have minimal experience with that market.
I was wondering when you would finally weigh in. Great looking LS, BTW!
Old 07-05-14, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by hlee12
obviously people are buying the crap over the best.

june sales
range rover - 1481
LX - 264
It is very "green" to mention one month of sales to make a point. The LX sells very well worldwide and they export only a limited amount here. So you don't have a point.Also I believe that includes Range Rover Sport and Range Rover models (which now includes a LWB)

And I want a Range Rover Sport bad but didn't want to wait 6 months ore more for one built. I would not get the LX over either Range Rover but that doesn't mean the LX is bad. Its not for me. Clearly some people still appreciate the more rare LX.

Old 07-05-14, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
I was wondering when you would finally weigh in. Great looking LS, BTW!
I was texted.....honestly I will be weighing in less and less....if people think Lexus etc are completely unaware of how threads like this go, well they are. And honestly after over a dozen years its old and time for me to move on to bigger and better things. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The article is stating how the LS is older, it got refreshed until a new one debuts (which I told you guys a few months ago). Its not rocket science. The S-class is amazing and I've personally reviewed the car. Its brand new and Mercedes did an amazing job, the interior is as good as it gets. in 2016 and 2017 I assure you it won't be selling 2,000 units a month but it will still sell well.

The data also seems to show the LS is either 2nd or 3rd best selling this year. Yet we have people just posting some really anti-Lexus biased theories about the LS.

Mind you to the people that don't like the new styling or that the LS is sportier, I get it. My beef is not with them. The styling is not for everyone. It works for ME whereas in the past, while I found it handsome it wasn't compelling.

I'm the traditional story for a brand, going from ES to GS to LS (and everything in between). Obviously Lexus is doing something right.

Old 07-05-14, 08:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was texted.....honestly I will be weighing in less and less....if people think Lexus etc are completely unaware of how threads like this go, well they are. And honestly after over a dozen years its old and time for me to move on to bigger and better things. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The article is stating how the LS is older, it got refreshed until a new one debuts (which I told you guys a few months ago). Its not rocket science. The S-class is amazing and I've personally reviewed the car. Its brand new and Mercedes did an amazing job, the interior is as good as it gets. in 2016 and 2017 I assure you it won't be selling 2,000 units a month but it will still sell well.

The data also seems to show the LS is either 2nd or 3rd best selling this year. Yet we have people just posting some really anti-Lexus biased theories about the LS.

Mind you to the people that don't like the new styling or that the LS is sportier, I get it. My beef is not with them. The styling is not for everyone. It works for ME whereas in the past, while I found it handsome it wasn't compelling.

I'm the traditional story for a brand, going from ES to GS to LS (and everything in between). Obviously Lexus is doing something right.
You are truly Lexus' ideal customer. And you're that much the better for it because all of your cars from the ES to the LS have been trouble-free. Can't say that for the other brands.
Old 07-05-14, 08:19 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

It is very "green" to mention one month of sales to make a point. The LX sells very well worldwide and they export only a limited amount here. So you don't have a point.Also I believe that includes Range Rover Sport and Range Rover models (which now includes a LWB)

And I want a Range Rover Sport bad but didn't want to wait 6 months ore more for one built. I would not get the LX over either Range Rover but that doesn't mean the LX is bad. Its not for me. Clearly some people still appreciate the more rare LX.
and why limited amount? maybe because demand is very low. and GL sold 1700+ last month. LX just don't do well here. and again, i'm not CP1. i swear in my families name. and IMO LX is the ugly duckling of current lexus lineup. i really can't stand it. grill is offensive. everything else looks really dated.

and of course your LS looks great. i stated that i love the new LS. you and I are similar in age. i'm 35. you are 36. it looks good to us because WE ARE YOUNG!

and that's my argument. and that's the problem. it has to look good for late 50's. and those old geezers don't always love radical design.

Last edited by hlee12; 07-05-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-05-14, 08:24 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

anyway this is LS sales in the US.

1990 42,806
1991 36,955
1992 32,561
1993 23,783
1994 22,443
1995 23,657
1996 22,237
1997 19,618
1998 20,790
1999 16,357
2000 15,871
2001 31,110
2002 26,261
2003 23,895
2004 32,272
2005 26,043
2006 19,546
2007 35,226
2008 20,255
2009 11,334
2010 12,275
2011 9,568
2012 8,345
2013 10,727
Old 07-05-14, 08:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
anyway this is LS sales in the US.

1990 42,806
1991 36,955
1992 32,561
1993 23,783
1994 22,443
1995 23,657
1996 22,237
1997 19,618
1998 20,790
1999 16,357
2000 15,871
2001 31,110
2002 26,261
2003 23,895
2004 32,272
2005 26,043
2006 19,546
2007 35,226
2008 20,255
2009 11,334
2010 12,275
2011 9,568
2012 8,345
2013 10,727
Can you please post the total Lexus vehicle sales per year so we can see how many total Lexus vehicle sales are made alongside LS sales
Old 07-05-14, 08:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,298 Posts

BTW anyone saying the Tesla is a worry hasn't seen the data. The Tesla is not replacing cars, it is an addition for someone.
Excellent post, but this part I don't agree with. That's exactly how it starts and how Toyota became the worlds #1 auto maker. You get your foot in the door and create a family and ultimately generations of loyal customers. I don't know if Tesla is on their way to doing this, but I have a feeling they are. Once people get a taste of silent electric power and freedom from the pump, there may be no going back.
Old 07-05-14, 08:58 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
You are truly Lexus' ideal customer. And you're that much the better for it because all of your cars from the ES to the LS have been trouble-free. Can't say that for the other brands.
I guess you missed the thread where he admitted his GS450h hybrid system completely failed at 105k miles
Old 07-05-14, 09:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Thanks for posting a link. Not.
Old 07-05-14, 09:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Excellent post, but this part I don't agree with. That's exactly how it starts and how Toyota became the worlds #1 auto maker. You get your foot in the door and create a family and ultimately generations of loyal customers. I don't know if Tesla is on their way to doing this, but I have a feeling they are. Once people get a taste of silent electric power and freedom from the pump, there may be no going back.
Different situation. Tesla needs infrastructure for recharging before it can become mainstream.
Old 07-05-14, 09:39 PM
LexFather

It's an amazing vehicle. The data shows though most do not want to completely replace an ICE for electric. I agree with your point about getting in the door.

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I guess you missed the thread where he admitted his GS450h hybrid system completely failed at 105k miles
I'm glad you keep up with my vehicle history. Sadly we can't keep up with yours. You forgot to post Lexus completely covered it under warranty. You see even when things go bad I talk about them. I've met countless members. I post pics. It adds a certain level of credibility compared to people posting in this thread trying to act like some authority because they can google.

That's why a lot of people post less and less. They post their experience and it might not have been a great one and some anti-Lexus person tries to take the information and use it for their bias.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Different situation. Tesla needs infrastructure for recharging before it can become mainstream.
It won't be overnight and things can quickly go the other direction for them.

Old 07-05-14, 09:41 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Agree. Our Model S is currently being built. If we like it, we will also buy the Model X. Lexus loses out on my business. I previously owned 3 Lexus models and i loved them all, but i will never buy a spindle product. It is hideous compared to my Aston Martin's grill. Current lexus design language is too loud for my tastes, it leans too much towards the trendy looks of a hyundai. When i pay 80k+ for a car, i am looking for elegance and luxury...unless it's a lamborghini.

Last edited by GQD_GS4; 07-05-14 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow