Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 09:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
uhh you guys know that the LED interior lights can be different color (temperature)-- 3000K, 5000K, 6000K, 7000K, etc...etc........right? http://www.exledusa.com/exled-lexus-...light-kit.html

....so you can have LED interior lights that aren't a pure or cold white.....
Yes, but most car makers are not using LEDs for dome lights because people like slowly fading yellow light, which LEDs cannot match
Old 01-27-14, 11:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Infiniti G37 to be renamed Q40; new flagship sedan confirmed

Infiniti G37 to be renamed Q40; new flagship sedan confirmed

Infiniti has already made it known that its aging G37 sedan will live on alongside the all-new Q50 through the 2015 model year, but little else for this sporty four door has been announced past the 2013 model year. As of this writing, there is no 2014 model shown on the company's consumer website. A new report from Car and Driver, however, indicates that like other models carried over to Infiniti's new naming convention, the four-door G37 will live out the rest of its days with a "Q" name after all.

Unlike the G coupe and convertible – renamed Q60 – the sedan will reportedly wear the Q40 designation until its ultimate demise. We reached out to Infiniti for more information, but a spokesperson only had this for us: "we have not provided any product details for post-2013 models. That will come at a later time." Previously, we had been told that the sedan would continue to live out its days under the G37 nameplate.

As for products that are actually new to the lineup, C/D says that the Q30 and the next-gen QX50 are both expected to arrive before the company launches a new range-topping flagship sedan as soon as 2016. Aside from a handful of reports suggesting this sedan exists (C/D says it's confirmed for production), there isn't much we know about it – including whether it will be called Q80, Q90 or something else entirely. It would appear there's plenty to look forward to from Infiniti's upcoming product lineup, and we are eagerly awaiting a 550-horsepower Q70 sedan and/or a production version of the Q50 Eau Rouge.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/27/i...dan-confirmed/
Old 01-28-14, 12:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

it is as if they are trying to alienate car buying public on purpose
Old 01-28-14, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

I'm all for a Q30 and flagship (maybe Q90). But I agree the G37 as a Q40 is weird. Put the G to pasture already
Old 01-28-14, 11:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is as if they are trying to alienate car buying public on purpose
For the past 25 years….textbook example of what NOT to do….

From FWD G20 to RWD Skyline/G35 to G37 to Q40…. WTF…

Why is the coupe a Q60 and the sedan Q40? The Q50 has the same platform and engine, same car, it is the replacement.

Old 01-28-14, 11:57 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Infiniti has gone off the deep end.
Old 02-03-14, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689

Default Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50S

2014 Infiniti Q50S

Ten years ago, nearly to the day, I took delivery of a brand-new 2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. The sporty rear-wheel drive sedan, equipped with its throaty 260-horsepower V6, slick manual gearbox and limited-slip differential replaced my 2001 BMW 330i because the Japanese competitor touted a product that was roomier, better equipped, quicker and lower priced. The G35 trumped the German in nearly every measurable category – at least on paper.

The 2014 Infiniti Q50 is the direct descendant, albeit two generations later, of the car I owned a decade ago. It is dimensionally about the same size, but it has gained more than 300 pounds of mass thanks to numerous safety upgrades and technical innovations. The additional weight is largely dismissed by a larger and more efficient powerplant that delivers an additional 68 horsepower, a welcome arrival, but the manual gearbox that charmed enthusiasts has been pushed out of the picture by a mandatory seven-speed automatic transmission.

As it has in the past, Infiniti touts its all-new Q50 as a luxury sport sedan worthy of the title. Decades ago, impressive performance statistics may have sealed the deal. Yet there is much more to the assignment today, as the model must offer premium appointments, sophistication and engaging driving dynamics if it's going to entice and capture the next-generation of young, premium buyers – much like the G35 did for me ten years ago.

Infiniti launched its all-new Q50 sedan at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show. The beautifully styled four-door successor to the G37 visually complemented the rest of the automaker's lineup and broke new technological ground with InTouch, a next-generation Human Machine Interface (HMI), and Direct Adaptive Steering and Active Lane Control, an innovative electronic steer-by-wire system that essentially eliminated the mechanical link between the steering wheel and the tires, a breakthrough that offered semi-autonomous driving capabilities.

Autoblog Executive Editor Chris Paukert took our First Drive of the new Infiniti last August. He considered it "well priced, attractive and fun-to-drive if you don't bring along the high-tech nannies" – his last reference was to the slew of driver's aids that Infiniti had loaded on its launch vehicles, albeit at the expense of the driver's engagement.

There are seven different models in the Q50 lineup, but the two sportiest versions wear an S on their decklid badge. The scripted red letter indicates a premium model fitted with 19-inch alloy wheels, high-performance brakes, 10-way sport seats, sport-tuned suspension, magnesium paddle shifters and a unique front fascia – there are two versions because the Q50S is offered in both rear- and all-wheel drive. A hybrid model, also with the 3.5-liter V6, is also newly available, but I didn't get time with that car.

An automotive enthusiasts' special model would likely mechanically mirror my Q50S 3.7 test car. The rear-wheel drive Moonlight White sedan arrived with a base price of $43,200 (plus $905 destination) and equipped with just four options: Cargo Package ($180), Spare Tire Package ($200), Navigation Package ($1,400) and the Illuminated Kick Plates ($400). The bottom line on the Monroney was $46,285 – very reasonable when its long list of standard equipment is taken into account. A quick glance into its well-appointed cabin reveals Graphite Leather and Kacchu-style aluminum trim. This means the four-door is missing the Deluxe Touring Package ($3,100), which includes the aforementioned Direct Adaptive Steering (it's only offered with maple wood accents).

Few will find fault with the Q50's front seats – the eight-way adjustable driver's throne provided plenty of support for my frame in all the proper places. The seats in the Q50S are upgraded with a manual thigh extension, which benefits tall drivers, but oddly, that portion is not heated (most others in the industry heat the whole lower cushion). Second-row passengers will be equally as comfortable, as the seats are supportive and occupants enjoy fresh air from a center climate control outlet (lacking temperature adjustment) and a decent amount of legroom. Owners will really appreciate Infiniti's very effective rear floor mat, which continues to be a long one-piece unit that wraps over the tunnel on the floor, as its design prevents debris from sliding under the matt. Overall, the cabin is bright and airy, and outward visibility is a strength.

The Q50 cockpit wraps around the driver, who sits in front of a three-spoke multi-function steering wheel with magnesium paddle shifters mounted on its backside. There are countless small buttons to master, but they are placed in logical locations and easy to reach. Ergonomically, there is a lot going on, but it doesn't take long to become accustomed to the control layout. The new infotainment system, however, may be another matter.

Infiniti is most proud of its new InTouch system, which essentially splits vehicle and infotainment functions between two color digital screens. The upper screen is used for traditional navigation and car setup duties, while the lower screen controls audio, climate control and connectivity. The two screens are not identical. Instead, the upper screen is slightly recessed with a matte finish, while the lower screen is flush with a glossy finish – and it captures fingerprints galore. Unfortunately, operating InTouch effectively involves a learning curve. While the system would benefit from some refinement and improved functionality (many of its screens appear downright frivolous), it shows promise.

The mechanical formula for making a G35... err... Q50 hasn't changed much over the past decade. The automaker's FM platform (still shared with the Nissan 370Z and Infiniti QX70, among others) is mated to a VQ-family engine. Suspension is independent all around, with a double-wishbone setup used up front and a multi-link system design hanging out back. There are disc brakes at all four corners, with sportier models boasting four-piston calipers in the nose and two-piston units in the rear. Forged 19-inch wheels, wearing summer tires, complete the recipe.

The naturally aspirated 3.7-liter V6 under the sedan's lightweight aluminum hood is a carryover from its predecessor. The familiar VQ-family (VQ37VHR) six-cylinder is shared across the Q50 lineup (the only exception is the Q50 Hybrid), and is rated at 328 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. Also standard is the seven-speed automatic transmission driving the rear wheels. Even with a 3,675-pound curb weight (slightly more than 55 percent of the mass is over the front wheels), the Q50S is quick. With its accelerator mashed to the floor, the sedan will sprint to the 60 mph benchmark in just over five seconds.

Pressing the start/stop button fires up the VQ, but its unmistakable raspy exhaust note has been significantly muted. Thanks to a much more isolated cabin and new exhaust tuning, the engine settles down to a muffled purr with only a hint of a rumble from the tailpipes. The previous G-Series models at idle seems to encourage you to get driving, but the new Q50 didn't appear as eager – it patiently waits until you're ready to depart.

Purists will miss the manual gearbox, but Infiniti's engineers have done a splendid job tailoring the automatic transmission to this vehicle. Launched from a standstill, the four-door hurries off the line without any hesitation. Most others in the industry have moved to forced induction, but the naturally aspirated V6 is a throwback to when engines liked to spin to a stratospheric redline (the VQ taps out at a dizzying 7,500 rpm). There is no sport mode on the gearshift lever, but the transmission may be manually shifted and the engine gleefully blips its throttle before downshifts. Most of time, though, it's just as well to simply spin the console-mounted Drive Mode selector to its aggressive 'Sport' position and let the computer shift.

Vehicles without the Direct Adaptive Steering arrive with traditional hydraulically assisted steering – many consider it the better choice in terms of feedback and reduced complexity. Even though the standard steering feels a bit light a first (use the Drive Mode rotary to stiffen things up), communication through the leather-wrapped wheel is good. It's not what I'd call razor sharp, but it's accurate and easy to place a tire on a precise spot on the pavement.

The Q50S is a splendid companion on the highway and it effortlessly ticks off the miles when allowed to stretch its legs. Wind, tire and exhaust noise is subdued, and there is plenty of passing power – even with a full complement of passengers on board. The automaker also offers a Technology Package ($3,200) with Intelligent Cruise Control and Active Lane Control that reduces the driver's workload significantly (too much?), but it wasn't fitted to my test car.

Thankfully, this isn't a single-mission sedan – the Infiniti performs equally as well when the road turns twisty. Under more challenging conditions, the Q50's wide stance, sticky tires and good chassis balance allows it to effortlessly weave through Southern California's canyons. Throttle response from the V6 is immediate, requiring only minimal throttle skills to adjust the car's trajectory (defeat the stability control and oversteer is just a punch of the accelerator away). The big brakes are strong, initial bite after pedal application is exceptional and the sedan tracks well, even under panic applications. Despite a moderately aggressive workout, the Q50 emerged hardly panting.

But something still seems to be missing – the emotional connection. The new Q50S can't make me smile.

Creating a driver-centric bond between human and machine is required in this sport sedan segment. And its prime competitors, quickly identified as the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Lexus IS, all strive to involve the driver first and then toss in a fair share of the obligatory luxury and technical innovation. But Infiniti's recipe, as evident with its new sedan, seems to be just the opposite. Even stripped of its optional questionable steer-by-wire wizardry, the Q50's new mission seems to focus on driver isolation.

The Q50S has evolved into a genuine world-class luxury sedan, materializing as a much better car than the G37 ever was. But its heavy polish and refinement have stolen much of its sporty appeal. The third-generation Infiniti has unquestionably matured – but likely at the expense of its original youthful demographic.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/03/2...d-test-review/
Old 02-03-14, 10:54 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

meh......

Love the looks but not what's within.

And you can't get memory seating (required for my wife and I, and 6'3" and 5'2"), without getting a package that also has the fly-by-wire steering.

asdf......
Old 02-03-14, 12:09 PM
LexFather

But something still seems to be missing – the emotional connection. The new Q50S can't make me smile.

Creating a driver-centric bond between human and machine is required in this sport sedan segment. And its prime competitors, quickly identified as the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Lexus IS, all strive to involve the driver first and then toss in a fair share of the obligatory luxury and technical innovation. But Infiniti's recipe, as evident with its new sedan, seems to be just the opposite. Even stripped of its optional questionable steer-by-wire wizardry, the Q50's new mission seems to focus on driver isolation.
Summed up perfectly, it really lost its edge, more ES than IS and mind you its no bad thing, it just isn't the sport sedan the G was. Its perplexing they would go that route, its not like the G didn't sell well when it switched to RWD from the G20. Why would they completely change the car's character when it was a success, including the name? Really odd decisions still with this company.

That was a really fair review, well done Autoblog And they didn't' have to live with it to experience all the electric issues it is having, we still didn't get the Apps working months into ownership and the software even with updates always had issues.

I really REALLY like how it looks, with the leases so damn cheap with 0 down a Q50 hybrid is super appealing as a DD...

Old 02-03-14, 01:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Summed up perfectly, it really lost its edge, more ES than IS and mind you its no bad thing, it just isn't the sport sedan the G was. Its perplexing they would go that route, its not like the G didn't sell well when it switched to RWD from the G20. Why would they completely change the car's character when it was a success, including the name? Really odd decisions still with this company.

I tend to wonder if this is why I have barely seen any Q50's on the road in the Toronto area. I've seen about 10 3IS's and only three Q50's, with the third one today on my home commute.
Old 02-03-14, 02:04 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

One thing I really like about the Q50 is that the entire body is painted and there are no BLACK PLASTIC PARTS
Old 02-03-14, 02:05 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I tend to wonder if this is why I have barely seen any Q50's on the road in the Toronto area. I've seen about 10 3IS's and only three Q50's, with the third one today on my home commute.
To be honest, I haven't seen scads of either the Q50 or new IS in my area... yet. But both cars are selling at around a 3,000 - 3,500 per month clip so we'll be seeing plenty around in time.
Old 02-03-14, 02:55 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I'm still confused about the naming scheme. I stopped caring about Infiniti after I couldn't tell them apart by looks or by name anymore lol
Old 02-03-14, 03:32 PM
Hoovey689

Wheels remind me of the 2009 IS "Lobster Claw" wheels. Good looking car inside and out that leaves me cold
Old 02-03-14, 05:40 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I really REALLY like how it looks, with the leases so damn cheap with 0 down a Q50 hybrid is super appealing as a DD...
what kind of leases are you seeing?

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wheels remind me of the 2009 IS "Lobster Claw" wheels. Good looking car inside and out that leaves me cold
wtf wheels are those? fugly....but I don't see them at all on the site at all when I 'BUILD YOUR OWN'...these are the std Q50S wheels....
Attached Thumbnails Infiniti Q50 thread-capture.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 02-03-14 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread