Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus cancel the ES?
Yes
20.45%
No
79.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus to Cancel ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 03:36 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are assuming that ES buyers would just buy a GS if the ES didn't exist and there was some stripped down version of the GS in a similar price range. That is quite a stretch, and seems to be the only basis for your proposal. What if ES buyers don't want a stripped down GS? Then what?
Old 03-08-12, 05:07 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Are u referring to me?

I have been a CL member since 2002 and have been a Lexus/Toyota fan from when I was younger. I have had a modded Lexus, gone to CL meets, etc. My family has had a number of Lexus cars over the years starting from the first generation RX up to a 2009 LS460.

The ES is a CAMRY - same chassis, drivetrain, internals, etc......There is NOTHING wrong with that fact! The Camry IMO is a great car.

The GS is superior car in every way to the ES. It is just as comfortable, faster, built better, handles better.
A 55 year old man or woman would not know a difference honestly. They walk in to Lexus to buy a midsize car and choose the ES because its 5 to 10k cheaper. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON!

Again nobody has answered my question: Why sell the ES when you have a GS that is a superior product??? To the average buyer, why would they PAY MORE to buy a GS.

I rather Lexus be selling 5,000 GS per month than ES. Its better for the brand.........In turn, they can take more risks with that platform and sell a GS based coupe. Because the cost savings are there to use those parts. As it stands now the GS is a niche for Lexus, and does NOT generate much return on the HUGE investment they make to develop it, hence it was almost cancelled.
ES and GS; two completely different cars, not even in the same ball bark. Just because they're sized similarly, doesn't mean they're encroaching on each others' territory. The Camry and ES share a platform, that's it. There is no comparison between a Camry and an ES. The Camry is an average sedan, at best, while the ES rivals its big brother, the LS, which has been tested as the quietest car in the world. The ES is often referred to as the "baby LS", and for good reason, it is a luxury car. The Camry can't touch it. Please, do not call an ES350 a Camry, it's insulting.
Old 03-08-12, 09:14 PM
eoncathell
Driver School Candidate

after looking to all the comments carefully few are with the point and few are not.........so it easily displays that though all are independent on their decisions, does these ideas are they effecting the sales range no know.....!!!
Old 03-08-12, 09:17 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
And how do we know this?

Again, they've sold around 250,000 ES350's since it was launched in 2006. It just doesn't make any business sense to cancel the model. The $50k-$60k GS would never make up the lost volume and profits for TMC. If the ES was a sales failure it MIGHT make sense. But that's not the case.
Actually from 2006 through February 2012 Lexus sold 366,406 ES's. Since it's inception (1990) Lexus has sold over 1.1 million ES's just in the U.S. alone.

The ES is the highest selling Lexus sedan and the second highest selling vehicle. The RX is the highest Lexus vehicle of all time. Since it's inception (1999) Lexus has sold over 1.2 million RX's just in the U.S. alone.
Old 03-08-12, 11:27 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

I miss my old es
Old 03-09-12, 12:20 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is nonsense talking, seriously.

A company is not just about image, prestige, value perception. Main goal for a company is to make money and by killing one if their best-selling product is just retarded.

Don't think just about Lexus doing cost-saving techniques, look at BMW and Mercedes, they all do the same thing. Did you ever imagine a 4 cylinder S class? We know that cars like S Class, 7 Series, LS should have at least a V6, but people are more concerned about fuel costs and so big engines with 300-400 HP wouldn't make any sense, even if you have money enough to buy it.
Old 03-09-12, 07:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I doubt the ES is cross-shopped with the GS like the OP is saying, if anything the ES is cross-shopped with the Toyota Avalon. Also, I could see the Camry Limited or high model being compared in some cases.
Old 03-09-12, 08:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So I guess to summarize regarding the thread title, "Why doesn't Lexus cancel the ES model?". Because it would be a really BAD idea.
Old 03-09-12, 11:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I really enjoyed the '11 ES that I drove. I'd be interested in an ES300h myself....that being said, I am interested in the GS450h as well.
Old 03-09-12, 02:55 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPG35
I miss my old es
I really miss my old 1996 ES 300. I took her to over 400K miles and a week later she was rear-ended. If she never got rear-ended I'd proabably be real close to 500K miles by now. She was a great car...
Old 03-09-12, 03:38 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Es's are great cars, it seems that the people who love them are people who own/ owned them or people who have driven them. People who dislike them are people who have little to no experience with them and just go back to the camry argument. To live with, the es is great. O and basically anyone with a 3-series haha
Old 03-10-12, 07:30 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
ES goes both ways, when GS is too expensive or when IS is too small.
It is actually very similar to FWD A6 I guess, a bit less luxurious, and also cheaper.
I think that is the best way to assess an ES : A FWD A6 with more reliability, comfort and utlity.
Old 03-18-13, 04:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Lexus to Cancel ES?

Yes, I'm aware this sounds crazy but hear me out. I was just reading MotorTrend's 2013 Power List and Mark Templin made #44. His entry reads as follows:

Originally Posted by MotorTrend
44. Mark Templin
Lexus Product Marketing Planning Division General Manager
ROOKIE
Can Lexus Compete With Mercedes in Europe?

Where he's been: Joined Toyota Motor Sales (North America) from Oldsmobile in 1990. Led the Scion brand before his promotion to Lexus' U.S. chief.
Aiming toward: Infiltrating Europe and other Lexus nonmarkets, which he'll do by leading a new business unit designed to be fully independent of Toyota.
Including: Phasing out best-selling ES. Let Toyota Avalon have the segment.
Outlook: This is an unenviably tough job assignment.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...#ixzz2NtDhTuEK
Does anyone have any insider info on this? The ES is such a cash cow and a great entry point into the luxury game. Very surprising to me. Forgive me if this is old news.
Old 03-18-13, 04:32 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I would like a 4 cylinder, less optioned 4GS take the ES spot instead...... However, I highly doubt Toyota / Lexus would attempt such risk.
Old 03-18-13, 04:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The ES has been a success and the '13 continues the trend.
Toyota would be nuts doing away with the ES..

Quick Reply: Lexus to Cancel ES?