Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 09:55 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Yeah but this just looks like a mistake. It's not apparent enough for it to look like a purposeful design trait nor does it match up with any other design cue from the rest of the car.

No one seemed to like it on the Honda Odyssey...
Its a concept car period.

As for the odyssey, people don't like the look because the side glass is a huge defining factor in how the side profile is dictated. The body line on that LF-Gh is there to accent. Why its not a straight line, who knows? Maybe the designer can give us an idea why. My take is if it was a straight line, the side would look even more bland and boring, and look more like a previous gen BMW 5 series.
Old 04-12-11, 09:56 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Its a concept.

As for the odyssey, people don't like the look because the side glass is a huge defining factor in how the side profile is dictated. The body line on that LF-Gh is there to accent. Why its not a straight line, who knows? Maybe the designer can give us an idea why. My take is if it was a straight line, the side would look even more bland and boring, and look more like a previous gen BMW 5 series.
Agreed, it's the only sort of design trait on the side. I just wish it was more pronounced so it looks more like an actual design trait and not like a mistake. The CT has the exact same line in the exact same place; a line coming from the tail lamp and another line coming from the shoulder line and not coming together to match up. On the CT, the team at Five Axis accentuated this line and it looks awesome. Why, just, why can't they be more bold here?

That said, I think this car isn't all the bad, it's just so boring The interior looks extremely promising though.
Old 04-12-11, 09:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything looks o.k. except the grill.

And I am a bit disappointed with the lack of kinetic tension with the side of the car. It's severely flat and boxy and HS250h-ish. There are no folds, no creases, no visual enhancement to hint movement nor attention. The designers could have been more imaginative...

It lacks sensual curves. The kink on the side skirt is not enough. Look at the boring fenders; they just stamped out holes for the wheels. The window profile is as generic as possible.

Old 04-12-11, 09:58 AM
LexFather

I've been looking over the pics for 20 minutes now. Somehow they seem to be trying to merge a more sedanish profile ala LS and 5 series which means losing the short deck while adding an aggresive stance and front end. Notice the fenders front and rear.

Really going to be curious how the new Lexus front end looks like. The HS and CT show the spindle look already in the shape from top to bottom of the grill but as we know the bottom is body colored.

I am sad to see it lose the quad lights but I like the aggresive headlights.

Those interior shots look stunning already.

Overall I am not overwhelmed and in love with it but I think they did a pretty decent job here. I do have to say I think this will sell like hotcakes once things are toned down. When you get past the exaggerated bits, its handsome.

Oh and the wheels are FANTASTIC!

This is badass

Old 04-12-11, 09:58 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over-kill on the front, way too conservative from the side and rear. Shame. Interior looks awesome though.
Old 04-12-11, 09:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Interior looks good. Need to see the front without the giant grill though.
Old 04-12-11, 10:06 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope it's released in the fall!
Old 04-12-11, 10:07 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I see a lot more of an LS-esque, conservative, "gentlemen" vibe in this concept than a GS has ever had. The GS and LS have always had significantly different personalities and been very different looking cars as a result...in a lot of ways, this looks like a midsize LS.

It will be interesting to see how/where this one progresses, and what the final result looks like.
Old 04-12-11, 10:09 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the "L" EMBLEM up front & the rear glow? I looks lit up with a blue halo around it.

gotta love the LED lights up front,

and it about time lexus has an analog clock instead of the regular digital clock.

just hope they have some aggressive interior color choices and wood/metallic trims. this is after all a grand touring sedan, gotta be sporty yet elegant/classy inside.

please have a black headliner with the black interior lol!!

I would drive the concept and call it a day, i love the look of a LS 460 mixed with the last generation 5 series front the side :-)
Old 04-12-11, 10:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Lexus hybrids have emblems with a blue tint on them. I think Toyota is starting to do this too?
Old 04-12-11, 10:16 AM
LexFather

It has some Bangle E60 to me in it...a car that has grown on me...

Originally Posted by AJL0365
Is the "L" EMBLEM up front & the rear glow? I looks lit up with a blue halo around it.

gotta love the LED lights up front,

and it about time lexus has an analog clock instead of the regular digital clock.

just hope they have some aggressive interior color choices and wood/metallic trims. this is after all a grand touring sedan, gotta be sporty yet elegant/classy inside.

please have a black headliner with the black interior lol!!

I would drive the concept and call it a day, i love the look of a LS 460 mixed with the last generation 5 series front the side :-)
The statement says they emblems are lit up on the concept.

Funny about the clock, its never bugged me but I have seen mostly non Lexus owners complain how it looks old and ridiculous. Its never bugged me but I guess its time for a change in the world of iPads and EVO phones. The clocks in Infiiti and now Benz never was a selling point, its cute but not like "OMG, LOOK AT THAT CLOCK"

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I see a lot more of an LS-esque, conservative, "gentlemen" vibe in this concept than a GS has ever had. The GS and LS have always had significantly different personalities and been very different looking cars as a result...in a lot of ways, this looks like a midsize LS.

It will be interesting to see how/where this one progresses, and what the final result looks like.
You know I've always wondered what an IS would look like GS sized. Never wondered what a LS would look like GS sized. The GS has had the short/high rear deck since 1993 and they clearly dropped that for a more conventional sedan shape here. It keeps the GS curved kink ala BMW, a link the LS and IS share as well but less obviously.

Note the higher hoodline to meet Euro pedestrian standards, thus the front fender has more mass than the current model. It does seem like it can easily hold a much larger engine. if that GS F does come.

Honestly don't worry about critics. Outside maybe the HS most Lexus vehicle have always looked pretty good and people bash it for
1. Being to staid
2. Being to exciting (LFA, IS F)

So don't expect people to not bish about this, since it blends both aggressive with tastefully balanced.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Lexus hybrids have emblems with a blue tint on them. I think Toyota is starting to do this too?
Yes starting in 2008

Old 04-12-11, 10:19 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

So gigantic grills = bold? They are about 5 years to late. Other than the truck grill, I see nothing bold about the design. Its not even unique. Im so confused why Lexus would follow, Audi, VW, Mitsu, Suzuki, Cadillac with gigantic grillz (although I still do like what they did with the mesh )

I think that this concept previews the details of the new design language and not necessarily the GS replacement. It doesnt have any of the usual design traits that we have come to expect since the 1GS debuted (short truck, arching roof etc). It honestly looks more like a LS from the side profile.

Overall, I think this concept is tepid at best. Some nice details, but just so derivative. I was expecting something a little more sleek and sexy.

Last edited by GFerg; 04-12-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 10:20 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.

It has a mini LS meets CT vibe going on with it. From some angles it looks pretty good IMO, but some of the proportions are off to my eye. I don't think it is as beautiful as past GS models, but it sure as hell looks mean. Not feeling the green house and as mentioned, there could have been a little bit more going on on the side. I think it should translate well to production.

All that said, the glimpse of the interior looks pimp as hell. 7.5/10 over all Lexus, now make it drive right and put the proper powertrains in it and let's go.
Old 04-12-11, 10:26 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

doubt the production car will stand with that stance..
Old 04-12-11, 10:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I see potential!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-lf-gh.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)