Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 04:02 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they're gonna keep the spindle outline, this may very well be it.

Originally Posted by knihc2008
My (very ratty) productionized chop
Old 04-12-11, 04:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess this is a design exercise after all. it's got bits of LS, ES, GS, CT, all in one package.

maybe the production 4GS will be more cohesive.

i'm just joking around, but it seems they couldn't decide if they wanted mitsubishi, or audi, so they mashed both....

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-12-11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more:

Front has potential but I doubt Lexus will end up making a front end that aggressive (Maybe the F version). The side looks as vanilla as a Camry, though :/ Especially without the convex/concave forms of the LS
Nice chop. I just have to say, even with the additions, this car is BLAND as hell. I mean...bland bland bland. Like, not-that-far-from-a-2001-ES 300-bland.
Old 04-12-11, 04:19 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely much better than the 3GS preview!

I too see the Bangle E60 influence on the back. I like the grill and am actually more interested in how they incorporate the side mirrors and actual door handles. The front 3/4 view is awesome, best view of the car IMO. The interior is wonderful! Seems to be beautifully executed from what you can see.

The video is interesting. When you watch the moving shots shot from the front the grill/front end is much higher than it looks in pictures.

Can't wait to see the production version given what a step up from the 3GS this is.
Old 04-12-11, 04:20 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Now it looks like a ct with the ls trunk.
Old 04-12-11, 04:39 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Don't think the grille in the concept will make it to production. There needs to be something to mount the front plate on after all.

Otherwise I think it's OK. The rear immediately reminds me of the Sonata though.
Old 04-12-11, 04:41 PM
DJohnsonn
Driver School Candidate

The LED headlights are hot. Back end does look like a Sonata.
Old 04-12-11, 04:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G Star
I honestly think you are now just trying to gain attention by others whom seem to have a good time by guessing which cars the LF-GH looks like.

We might need some babysitters in this thread.
Agreed.

I'll be watching it.

Old 04-12-11, 05:17 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

For comparison. Very similar lines and shape. In addition, some say the next generation Camry also has the same shape as the E60 5 series.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-20-lexus-lf-gh-hybrid-concept.jpg   Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)-p0015827.jpg  
Old 04-12-11, 05:25 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

I understand this is not 1998, when anyone outside of BMW, Benz, Lexus sucked and I understand the 2GS/3GS design was copied and knocked-off to no end and I understand that the GS wasn't going to be some Aston Martin but this was a huge opportunity for the brand. The GS is the last model here to get redesigned in this class and if this is to usher in a new era for Lexus, I' confused b/c it doesn't seem new to me. Maybe they are chasing sales, to make the vehicle more LS like and blander since a lot of cars in this class are not exactly beautiful?

Seriously this grill is not growing on me. Lexus WTF were you thinking going with ugly trends? We bash ugly grills on other brands here and I'm sorry but this is pretty damn ridiculous. To be honest that grill would fit the CURRENT GS more. It seemed tacked on from another car. Can't say I am very thrilled with this turning into a traditional 3 box design. The GS always had a high/short rear deck.
I PRAY this does not make production with that grille.

Maybe if that front end was on a real concept, like the LFS but this car looks pretty production ready outside the front end and rear tailights and no side view mirrors.

I've owned 3 GSs, more than any other Lexus model I've owned, I am a die-hard Lexus fan, I heart the GS and this isn't where I saw the GS progressing too from an exterior standpoint.

I also pray the interior, the engines, drivetrain and the drive are much better than what I am seeing now.

At this rate I need to know a GS F is coming. If it doesn't come that Panamera is looking better in all its ugly Hell at this rate might as well get a LS sport.

There I said it

These I hope are what the final product looks like. And even so, I just don't see the envelope pushed much at all.

My (very ratty) productionized chop
One more:

For both chops, I changed:
Lower side dams
Center grille
Headlamps
Door handles
Rear view mirrors
Side skirts
Wheels

Front has potential but I doubt Lexus will end up making a front end that aggressive (Maybe the F version). The side looks as vanilla as a Camry, though :/ Especially without the convex/concave forms of the LS
Very well done. I agree the sides are pretty bland, hopefully in person it translates better.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-12-11 at 05:44 PM.

Old 04-12-11, 05:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Take away the badging and it looks like a Hyundai model to me....

The more I look at it, the more boring the car looks. It doesn't look bad, but it's VERY bland. Heck, the current GS looks more appealing to me.

When Lexus did the 2GS it looked like nothing else on the road. This concept looks like it would just blend in a crowd. From an appearance standpoint, it's just boring.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 04-12-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 05:55 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont understand some of you. First you're saying Lexus designs are boring and bland and when you get an interesting looking design you hate it. "Tone it down....blah blah blah" and this is why Lexus cars are rather called boring, just right for a 70 year old grandpa. The chops you guys post are nice no deny, but bland. And if Lexus is going that direction again, then there is no competition to the 5 series and E class...again.
Old 04-12-11, 05:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I dont understand some of you. First you're saying Lexus designs are boring and bland and when you get an interesting looking design you hate it. "Tone it down....blah blah blah" and this is why Lexus cars are rather called boring, just right for a 70 year old grandpa. The chops you guys post are nice no deny, but bland. And if Lexus is going that direction again, then there is no competition to the 5 series and E class...again.
Hahahah,agreed, I have said what you posted all the time, in this thread too. I quite frankly think non Lexus owners just hate on Lexus design period (doesn't matter what it is) and I think the press is full of crap about Lexus design so you can't listen to them either. For the most part I am fine with Lexus design. No its not perfect but the worst case maybe bland, but not ugly.

That said, not a fan of this grill at all so far.

Old 04-12-11, 06:05 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
The chops I'm posting aren't what I want the GS to look like, it's what I expect the GS to look like. The fact is, Lexus can not and will not ever sell a car like the LF-Gh as it is. I only changed things that definitely couldn't make production: the sideskirts, the rear view mirrors, the headlamps, the door handles, and of course, the grille. The rest is exactly the same. It shows that underneath the usual show-car frills, this car is in fact a very bland design.

It's not the chop that's bland, it's the basic design of this car.

Also, interesting =/= good looking. The Pontiac Aztek and the Acura beak are "interesting" looking as well. A car design can be unique and interesting but it also has to be considered beautiful to be successful. From the looks of it, the "interesting" grille design of this LF-Gh isn't quite considered good looking. That said, this grille is actually kind of growing on me. It's aggressiveness + the frowned hooded headlamp look rub me the right way. Unfortunately I feel like it's the main part of the car that won't reach production :/ and it's a shame that aggressiveness can be found nowhere else in this design.

Speaking of unique and interesting, I actually see this car as a step backward from the 3GS and from the gorgeous and truly unique LF-S that preceded it:

Last edited by knihc2008; 04-12-11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 06:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

the only problem that I have is that the side profile does not flow well at all with the front and the back. wtf

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-Gh Concept (updated, pics posted)