Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Manual Usage below 10%...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 01:22 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
love my manual C6; I'd never buy a sports car with an automatic that had the option of manual. Lots more fun to drive and I feel a closer, more direct connect to the motor
X2. But for a luxury everyday cruiser, auto is definitely the way to go. The idea set up IMO is to have a sports car with a manual trans, and a luxury auto.
Old 03-04-10, 01:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxNine
I know a 75-year-old woman who would put some of you older guys to shame!

She DDs a Lotus Elise, and autocrosses and tracks it as well. I think the elise only comes in stick, same thing with the S2000 and the ae86 GTS corolla.

Lots of good points for both autos and manuals.

Can we have a consensus that:

High HP cars can get away with autos, pdks, smgs, what have you.

Low HP cars can only stand to benefit with a manual tranny.

My mom is the only person in our household who can't drive a stick. My 17-yr-old brother wants to get a stick for his first car.

To Fay:

I knew you got rid of the IS300 for an M3, didn't know it was a stick! Congrats! I'll be in Vancouver this summer for my cousin's wedding.

The day I can't drive a stick is when I hand in my license. (OK, maybe not, but I do have a bad left knee.)

I find hard to believe that a 75 yr old woman would be able to drive a manual let alone doing auto cross. I work in the 2nd largest retirement community in the US and I am calling BS on the auto cross. These people regularly have arthritis , joint stiffness, muscle atrophy, and many other problems that result in fatigue and weakness. In my practice I see geriatric patients all day. Yes some are better than other but none of them are not track driving. Any pics of grandma hot shoe tearing it up at the track????
Attached Images   
Old 03-04-10, 01:59 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I know a woman in her 80s who drives a 5MT Altima...I don't think that she autocrosses though.
Old 03-04-10, 03:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Let me clarify. IN testing the 5 speed was robust enough to handle the power of the I-6 for years to come. The IS 200 had an I-6 but with only 153 or so hp. The Altezza got a high revving 200hp I-4 with a 6 speed manual.

Toyota engineers knew the 6 speed could work in the IS 300 but over time it would not be able to handle the higher torque rating and it would fail. The Altezza I-4 was peaky with low torque whereas the IS 300 had ample torque in comparison.

Thus they gave it the 5 speed.
Gearboxes don't care about horsepower. It's meaningless to a gearbox. Only torque on the input shaft matters. So the 6-speed from the four which was designed for a low torque application did not like the torque from the 3 liter 6 cylinder. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they didn't put the Getrag 233 and the GTE engine in the Altezza/IS300. They missed a great opportunity there.
Old 03-04-10, 04:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Gearboxes don't care about horsepower. It's meaningless to a gearbox. Only torque on the input shaft matters. So the 6-speed from the four which was designed for a low torque application did not like the torque from the 3 liter 6 cylinder. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they didn't put the Getrag 233 and the GTE engine in the Altezza/IS300. They missed a great opportunity there.
I agree 100% the IS should have been offered as an OEM twin turbo. I have the articles where TRD and Lexus even said "it is coming" but all we got was the L-tuned package with no engine upgrades, just an exhaust.....

The Rod Millen IS 430 was a sign of what was going to come to the IS-F. It literally bolted right in and wasn't much of a headache to build.

TTE also did a IS 430

Sorry took this way off course.

Old 03-04-10, 04:43 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I find hard to believe that a 75 yr old woman would be able to drive a manual let alone doing auto cross. I work in the 2nd largest retirement community in the US and I am calling BS on the auto cross. These people regularly have arthritis , joint stiffness, muscle atrophy, and many other problems that result in fatigue and weakness. In my practice I see geriatric patients all day. Yes some are better than other but none of them are not track driving. Any pics of grandma hot shoe tearing it up at the track????
Prepare to eat your heart out!

Here's an album of her autocrossing. Nothing that has her current age since these are from 2 years ago, when she was 73! See number on side of car.

http://www.steve510.com/coppermine/t....php?album=139

We were at the same track day at Laguna Seca on April 7, 2009. I have to see if I took pics of her on the track. I know she's a member of the Golden Gate chapters of Lotus and BMW clubs.

Last edited by dsp979; 03-04-10 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 06:02 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Haha, that's awesome.

....my grandma played her first game of beer pong at age 83. She did well.
Old 03-04-10, 06:10 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

I believe actor Paul Newman was still sort of racing in his late 70s.

1sicklex, Do you know who has that rod millen IS430? i tried to see if it was for sale, or sold. Interested to see where it is now.

Back on topic:

Here's a good excuse for using automatic trannys. Makes it very easy to drive Drunk!

Last edited by dsp979; 03-04-10 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 07:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MaxNine

Back on topic:

Here's a good excuse for using automatic trannys. Makes it very easy to drive Drunk!
That's not cool....and with the data I posted yesterday you might actually be wrong.
Old 03-04-10, 07:38 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

All I can say is:

Even in the case in Europe: The IS220d is the most sold variant there.........but the difference between it and the IS250 Auto is not that different (in terms of sales).

And with the IS220d getting the axe in the next version (due to it being severely unreliable), then the stick-shift only variant would be gone. And seriously, how many IS cars out there have stick shift (compared to the majority which uses auto gearbox in the form of 6-speed and 8-speed variants)???

With that said, if the numbers are too low, then adding a stick shift in the next model is not that justifiable anymore.

IMHO I suggest to Lexus that they axe the stick shift in the next IS. If they do that, then Lexus will be a manufacturer that offers NO stick variant .

Sorry to purists and conventionalists but these are the signs of the times. It's either you shape in or move out. Like it or not, the truth prevails

Old 03-08-10, 04:20 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
That's not cool....and with the data I posted yesterday you might actually be wrong.
Please accept my apologies, I was not trying to offend anyone.

Another thing about having a stick shift, you can control the amount of slip on the clutch.

2 examples:

1. I can hold my car steady on the steepest hill in S.F. with just the clutch and gas pedals. YES, it is BAD for the clutch, but still fun.

2. I can drive up and down Highway 17 (Santa Cruz mountains) without touching my brakes. Yes, it can be done, and makes that drive a lot of fun.

I doubt you can do that on the dsg, smg or manumatics.

Blackraven: I was in the Philippines in December, and my cousins drive their automatics like its a stick. They come to a stop, and put the auto lever into neutral. And back to D when ready to move.

Last edited by dsp979; 03-08-10 at 04:24 PM.