Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??

Old 03-29-17, 03:48 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??

Maybe I'm one of the weirdos, as I actually do love shifting my own gears. I've had a couple 5 speed Toyota trucks, a 1993 and a 2004, both 2wd 4 cylinder strippers. The 1993 had a bit more low end torque, but the 2004 is faster if you rev the nuts off it. Both of those trucks, the clutch and shifter is very direct, a bit of a long throw, but holy hell, the pedals are perfectly spaced for heel/toe downshifting, you can slam shift them through the gears. Both trucks, shifted like a car, no sloppy nonsense in the gear lever.

My SC300 is a manual transmission as well, clutch is a bit heavier than those trucks oddly enough, but man you can slam shift that car even faster through the gears. Its even easier to do the heel/toe downshift in this car. And really the manual transmission is what makes the SC300 fun, as that engine(2JZ-GE) doesn't really start to cook until 3500rpm and it just sings up until its 6400rpm redline. Man its fun to just attack a fast road and let that engine hang above 4000rpm.

I know automatic transmissions(and the dual clutch) in the past 2-3 years are pretty damn good, but I'm convinced if you can't afford or don't want to buy a new car with one of these super awesome automatics/dual clutch trannies, the old school manual is a lot of fun and provides better mpg's in cars that are more than 3-4 years old.
Old 03-29-17, 05:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Me. I miss manuals. My last one was my 2011 Tacoma. I've been thinking of going back to a Tacoma in large part because I miss my manual truck.

Old 03-29-17, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The only vehicle I've driven recently where I thought a conventional manual was truly fitting was the new Mazda Miata. The Miata (and maybe its new Fiat Spyder twin) represent what is arguably the best pure-driving experience in the American market. But the Miata's interior is so tight for tall persons (though better then it used to be) that using the clutch pedal sometimes requires a large or bulky left leg to be angled around the left side of the steering wheel.
Old 03-29-17, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

drove my brother's 6 pseed manual 911 carerra 4s this week on english country roads. it was sublime.

Old 03-29-17, 08:58 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do. Which is why I went manual with my Falcon protouring build. Yes, the best of today's autos are faster and "better" than old school manual operation, but the manual is jut more fun to drive, better connection with the car if you are not going for every last 10th on the track. Reading the recent review of the v12 Aston Martin with the 7 spd manual draws me to that car, must be a great experience to drive.
Old 03-29-17, 09:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I definitely prefer it. Aside from the emissions crap, the missing 3rd pedal is the only thing I don't like about my 335d. My next DD will almost certainly have a manual, as my previous one did.
Old 03-29-17, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

If I'm driving a car for the set purpose of enjoying driving specifically on a fun road with no need to ever take a phone call, etc...then yes I prefer it.

If I'm driving any other time (which is 99.99% of the time) then no lol. Would I drive just for enjoyment more if I had a sporty fun manual car? Maybe.
Old 03-29-17, 10:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Where's the traffic jam picture ?
Old 03-29-17, 10:22 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Traffic is always the argument against the manual transmission, but truthfully once you get used to it I do not find it to be a big deal. Back in the day I used to sit in traffic an hour each way every day in my modded Integra GSR with a very heavy ACT race clutch and lightweight flywheel. It took a bit more effort than typical but was still not a big deal to me. Of course I am not someone who uses my phone while driving, eat while driving, etc., traffic or not. And now days with hands free, you can take calls over blue tooth without any physical contact with your phone. I believe manual transmission make better overall drivers, because you have to actually pay a little bit of attention to the car and what you are doing.
Old 03-29-17, 10:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

^^ I agree. Most of my cars, until recently, have been manual transmissions that I've used as commuters in heavy traffic and it wasn't ever an issue for me.
Old 03-29-17, 10:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I love a manual because I have constant control over everything the vehicle does. Especially when towing. I really wish my truck had a manual transmission. But, unless you go up to the 3/4 tons and strip them back to bare bones, you can't get one.

With that said, for 95% of my driving, I am so glad I have the autos in all of my cars, because traffic sucks in the DFW.
Old 03-29-17, 11:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the manuals! #SaveTheManuals

I question it on some of the bigger cars, like I'm somewhat okay that the next M5 will forgo the manual (I believe). But I like that Cadillac has it available on the ATS-V's and that VW offers it on the Golf R, etc.

On the exotics, i think it was a sad day when Ferrari lost the iconic gated shifter.
Old 03-29-17, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
(in Dfw area) Traffic is always the argument against the manual transmission, but truthfully once you get used to it I do not find it to be a big deal.
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I am so glad I have the autos in all of my cars, because traffic sucks in the DFW.
two points of view about dfw traffic.

when i was in atlanta, i had to begrudgingly sell my stick acura legend because of FOUL bumper to bumper stop start traffic for my epic 3 mile commute.
Old 03-29-17, 11:10 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

there's still love for manuals here and Ill be sure to teach my 1 year old and 7 year when they come of age
Old 03-29-17, 11:12 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
two points of view about dfw traffic.

when i was in atlanta, i had to begrudgingly sell my stick acura legend because of FOUL bumper to bumper stop start traffic for my epic 3 mile commute.
Funny, when i had to sit in DFW traffic for hours a day I never really minded it. Now that I work from home and spend very little time each year sitting in traffic, when I do it pisses me off to no end. I guess you build up a tolerance over time, I have lost that tolerance. That being said, the transmission in the car has no bearing on my hatred for traffic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anybody else on this forum actually prefer a manual transmission??