Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I just saw a new S550.....(official new S-class thread - update pg. 10)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 02:43 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually now seeing the S550 in white and more detailed pic, im starting to like it too

it was silver at the autoshow in vancouver i think
or some colour that wasnt good for the car
i wasnt impressed with it but now it looks much better with white

a renewed sense of elegance
Old 04-18-06, 04:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaJack
I owned a '06 S430 and believe me the S550 is what I want in a S Class. Day and night between them...more elegant and more classy. The quality is unbelievable and the ride is the same. Try it you will like it....
Thanks for shariing your impressions. Would love to hear more - what aspects/features do you like best? What hasn't worked so well for you?
Old 04-19-06, 05:59 AM
NevadaJack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks for shariing your impressions. Would love to hear more - what aspects/features do you like best? What hasn't worked so well for you?
There is not anything that has not worked well for me with this car. It is the best MB I have had the pleasure to own since my first almost 30 years ago.

The initial pleasure is getting into the car and sitting on the most comfortable seats I have experienced. The adjustments using the COMAND are infinite and once set, it feels like you have molded to the car. The warmth of the interior and ergonomics are excellent. Everything is within reach and the buttons and switches feel solid and responsive.

Once settled in, pressing the start button gives you a sense of control and power. Touch the new shift lever and you move with smoothness and quietness (the parking brake is electronic and releases when the car is put in gear.) The 7speed transmission is silent and stepless, whether using the limo start or the goose-it start. At highway speed should you need the power, even at 70mph, the car will jump when ordered to move out. The Active Body Control maintains a smooth ride in all situations and the quietness is unreal. Taking 40mph curves across the Rocky Mountains on the drive home was fantasic at 70-80mph and I did not feel the car lean or roll once.

All the features blend together to make this a great driving experience. The technology under the hood and behind the sheet metal is hidden but the result is an unbelievable ride. Others may advertise all the "goodies" but the final result is the ride and MB has that unknown factor that no one can seem to reproduce or copy.

You may say I am pleased with this car

Old 04-19-06, 06:24 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may say I am pleased with this car

Congrats on your new car!!! Awesome ride and looks. I have to tell you that is one hell of a color combo.

What options did you go for?
Old 04-19-06, 07:27 AM
NevadaJack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vladi
Congrats on your new car!!! Awesome ride and looks. I have to tell you that is one hell of a color combo.

What options did you go for?
Thanks. Rather than type the details here is a copy of the window sticker. Additional images are available on my web site http://www.nevadajack.us Albums S550AMG and S550AMG II.

Old 04-19-06, 08:27 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Does it do the dishes? Like my man Chris Rock says, "104 grand, good Laawd thats a lotta money!"

The S550 is an extremely nice car; great selection of colors too.

Enjoy it and let us know how it continues to perform for you.

M.
Old 04-19-06, 08:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

oh, how are those messaging front seats?? Some here thought that they would be really intrusive and actually put you to sleep. It seems like a cool features. Im all game for "goodies".

104 grand is a lot of coin for a V8 S-class.
Old 04-19-06, 08:46 AM
NevadaJack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by magneto112
oh, how are those messaging front seats?? Some here thought that they would be really intrusive and actually put you to sleep. It seems like a cool features. Im all game for "goodies".

104 grand is a lot of coin for a V8 S-class.
The massage is great...I used it coming back from Denver in the 12 hour drive. Loosens up the spine and back. Shuts off after 5 minutes so you don't nod off I guess

104K (before discount) beats 140K for the V12 S600... I paid $3500 for a loaded 1955 Olds 88 Hardtop Coupe, my first new car and my father could not believe I paid that much for a car. If he was only here to see this one
Old 04-19-06, 02:00 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

if you get a chance id love to see some inside pics of your car, maybe of the ambient lighting, or the command interface, or even the lcd dash.
Old 04-19-06, 03:12 PM
NevadaJack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jblackbelt
if you get a chance id love to see some inside pics of your car, maybe of the ambient lighting, or the command interface, or even the lcd dash.
Check my website at http://www.nevadajack.us Look in the two S550AMG albums. There are exteriors and interiors as well as dash and screen shots.
Old 04-19-06, 04:34 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Beautiful car Jack. I sat in one yesterday while servicing my e320 and i must say its beautiful, the comand unit is really easy to use, i played with the radio, seat controls etc. The only thing that bothered me was the city mpg, but then i said to myself this is a huge car. But congrats and good luck.
Old 04-19-06, 05:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Saw my first S600 the other day. Must be a beast!

Here is is with 21" wheels!
Attached Thumbnails I just saw a new S550.....(official new S-class thread - update pg. 10)-merc3_z4.jpg  
Old 05-18-06, 08:36 PM
GSKING430
Driver

Default S550 Wow!!

My bestfriend just took delivery on his 2007 S550 Sport package Benz. He also had the stock 19's chromed. It's white with the dark java interior. All I can say is WOW there is absolutely nothing touching this car. i will snap some pics tomorrow
Old 05-23-06, 07:44 AM
NevadaJack
Driver School Candidate

Default My 5000 mile trip in the S550

Hi guys. What a trip...the specs are:

Departed 5/7/06
Returned 5/19/06

5,111 miles total door to door.
82 hours total driving actual driving time.
25.8 mpg (all driving included)
63 mph average speed.

The car is absolutely perfect. I can drive this thing for almost 12 hours and not feel exhausted. It handles like a baby carriage, tracks straight and true and nothing puts a strain on it. Get the Multi Contour Dynamic Seats!!!! They are the finest car seat in the world. Not a glitch anywhere and it was the star of the show where ever we went.

The only problem on the entire trip was a blown rear tire on I 40 about 40 miles west of Knoxville, TN. Must have been something in the road but I heard a bang and the car started to make some strange noises. Pulled over and the left rear had a three inch gash in the sidewall...the rim was not touched.

I hit the Telaid button and they were great. Had a tow truck to change the tire there in about 30 mimutes. Called MB of Knoxville and when I arrived they took it in and put on a new tire and I was on my way in about 45 minutes. They would not warranty after calling MB. Inspection showed no defects and the gash indicated a hit by some kind of sharp object.

I know I promised pictures but the only ones I shot were of family and friends. When I get on a highway on a long trip...I drive until I drop with very few interruptions

All in all, this is the most exciting car I have owned and if there is a better one out there...it has not been built or designed yet

Old 05-23-06, 11:49 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Hi guys. What a trip...the specs are:

Departed 5/7/06
Returned 5/19/06

5,111 miles total door to door.
82 hours total driving actual driving time.
25.8 mpg (all driving included)
63 mph average speed.

The car is absolutely perfect. I can drive this thing for almost 12 hours and not feel exhausted. It handles like a baby carriage, tracks straight and true and nothing puts a strain on it. Get the Multi Contour Dynamic Seats!!!! They are the finest car seat in the world. Not a glitch anywhere and it was the star of the show where ever we went.

The only problem on the entire trip was a blown rear tire on I 40 about 40 miles west of Knoxville, TN. Must have been something in the road but I heard a bang and the car started to make some strange noises. Pulled over and the left rear had a three inch gash in the sidewall...the rim was not touched.

I hit the Telaid button and they were great. Had a tow truck to change the tire there in about 30 mimutes. Called MB of Knoxville and when I arrived they took it in and put on a new tire and I was on my way in about 45 minutes. They would not warranty after calling MB. Inspection showed no defects and the gash indicated a hit by some kind of sharp object.

I know I promised pictures but the only ones I shot were of family and friends. When I get on a highway on a long trip...I drive until I drop with very few interruptions

All in all, this is the most exciting car I have owned and if there is a better one out there...it has not been built or designed yet

That's pretty good fuel mileage for a V8... Sounds like a fun trip.

Quick Reply: I just saw a new S550.....(official new S-class thread - update pg. 10)