Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I just saw a new S550.....(official new S-class thread - update pg. 10)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 06:50 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit-

Um I liked the way the car drove, it is a big car but handled nicely. It had very nice pickup and on the highway the thing flies, forget about it.
I actually admit I liked the joystick control for the radio and the climate. I just couldnt get past the look of the stock wheels on this big car. They were to small so maybe thats why the fenders looked to flare out so much.?
The needles for the speedometer are digital which was cool. Obviously there are a lot of things that could go wrong with this car but if it is under warranty then there isnt anything to worry about.
Overall nice car but I still would have to stay within the Lex fam with the LS.
Old 03-23-06, 06:54 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

22's make it look acceptable...
Old 03-23-06, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Bit-

Um I liked the way the car drove, it is a big car but handled nicely. It had very nice pickup and on the highway the thing flies, forget about it.
I actually admit I liked the joystick control for the radio and the climate. I just couldnt get past the look of the stock wheels on this big car. They were to small so maybe thats why the fenders looked to flare out so much.?
The needles for the speedometer are digital which was cool. Obviously there are a lot of things that could go wrong with this car but if it is under warranty then there isnt anything to worry about.
Overall nice car but I still would have to stay within the Lex fam with the LS.
Thanks for sharing!

The LS460 will no doubt be an awesome car too, but I'm not sure it will have the 'wow' factor visually.
Old 03-23-06, 10:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3

DAAAAAMMMMNNNNN this new Benz is no joke... Car is so hot the old lady was lookin over my shoulder and couldn't keep her clothes on.... oh wait... that was me undressing....lol..

But seriously... the new LS460 is not in the same league as this car... I know I will get slapped around for saying this but the design of this benz is sooooo aggressive it just hits your azzz.... POW... Lexus quality is bar none outstanding but MB can flat out style thier azz off...

If I had a choice ..... there would be no choice

The only sad part is I'd probably need a Lexus as a daily driver since my Benz would live in the shop.....LMAO
keep in mind the 460 engine makes just as hp and slightly less torque despite being almost 1 liter smaller. LS460 will weigh a lot less than the S, with the lower weight and equal power its going to be just as fast or faster. And the 460 will be a heck of alot cheaper than any S550. I was building a S550 and they still have the ***** to charge you 1500 for an upgraded leather over stock leather, FFS youre already charging me 86k, nickel and diming =
Old 03-23-06, 10:44 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

It does drive well. And the fenders, at least to me, are no where near as obvious in person as they are in the photos. Color makes a difference but so far most of the ones I have seen are black, white, and silver. I drove a silver S550. Once again, not quite as involving as a 7 but a lot better than the old S. But not perfect, especially not at the price. Have you ever noticed how the media gushes about the new S class until a new one comes out and then sometimes prints a slightly different story?

"Car Magazine, March 2006 page 28

Sacred cow
Not all it's cracked up to be...
Mercedes S Class

Being fat, ugly, hugely expensive and German is bad enough, but two crucial factors weigh against Merc's last generation ubersaloon. First, it's not a scrap of fun to drive and second, everyone thinks it's the world's greatest car. They're wrong -it isn't.

Driving the S is less fun than riding a punctured Spacehopper. The interior is horrid (pastel leather that looks like plastic, 1970s carpet, chintzy fake wood) and the steering is so light it feels like they forgot to hook it up. The spongy fast pedal flexes a bunch of soulless engines and the chassis flounders into two tonnes of heart-in-the-mouth understeer.

Add in the fact that other people regard you with the sort of sneer Adolf himself might have felt aggrievd at, and you've got yourself a recipe for misery."

Now, does anyone have any interest in going back to see how Car and all the other magazines gushed at the introduction of the last S class? It is a better car but at an even greater price and it still has many of the minuses that Car just pointed out for the outgoing model. And even Merc fanatics have gotten tired of rationalizing third world build quality. You can get past the flares, I do know why they did it, the flanks would be hideous without some detail, and it is an improvement but the most sales they will get will be from those who just have to have the latest model. Regardless of who makes it.

Why is it at the high end of the auto market there are such expensive cars with so many out and out annoying aspects? You would think we would be getting more choice, not less.
Old 03-23-06, 01:43 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
lol i remember not too long ago when practically everyone was saying how ugly is was....

what does that say about f-ing spy shots lol...

anyways...i can't wait for the AMG version
How does it look so far? Man, if only these were the official pics. I don't think they are, they're from eMercedes.com.

Originally Posted by magneto112
Yep, thats where I got the pics from. From their picture thread.

I wasnt even aware of this color combo, but its freakin sweet. I love two-toned interiors like this. I wish car manufacturers would do this more often.

Do you know if it will become part of say the Designo package later on?? I'm sure that MB would allow a custom order as well

I at first didnt like the new S-class at all. Then I became a fan of it only with some sort of bodykit. Finally saw it in person, and I'm sold. It looks great. Until I see the LS460 in person, I might have to agree that the S-class looks slightly better.

Also just checked your site in the siggy. Pretty cool. One thing I noticed though, you spelled Infinity wrong on the homepage. Its Infiniti.
Not sure about the Designo packages. MB goes pretty wild in the color combos, but they always turn out nice. One thing that's kept us from getting a Designo is the lack of the heated steering wheel. Something you really need here in Ohio. (Oh, about the misspelling on the website, I'm not the admin, but I will bring it up. Thanks for looking .)

Last edited by RX_330; 03-23-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 01:45 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX_330
How does it look so far? Man, if only these were the official pics. I don't think they are, they're from eMercedes.com.

Not sure about the Designo packages. MB goes pretty wild in the color combos, but they always turn out nice. One thing that's kept us from getting a Designo is the lack of the heated steering wheel. Something you really need here in Ohio. (Oh, about the misspelling on the website, I'm not the admin, but I will bring it up. Thanks.)
lol thx for the picture...and yeah...that wood trim on the steering wheel gets damn cold i heard...

too bad it gets damn hot too...
Old 03-23-06, 01:52 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, but the wood steering wheel is too darn sexy to not have.

I really like the Designo, but if we can't have the heated steering wheel, we'll just settle for the non-Designo MBs.
Old 03-23-06, 01:58 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
When I took my C70 for an oil change, the salesmen was nice enough to let me sit inside the S550 and tinker with the iDrive thingie (its also an MB dealer). I have to say, the iDrive (i'm not sure what MB calls it exactly) is MUCH MUCH MUCH more intuitive than the BMW system. I've tinkered with the BMW system on 3 occasions, and walked away very frustrated and p'ed off. Within 60-90 seconds, I had figured out the MB system on my own. I've a big fan of this new car. It looks better in person, especially with sport package.
Still called the COMAND. ;-) Just has another word in front of it I think
Old 03-23-06, 02:28 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
When I took my C70 for an oil change, the salesmen was nice enough to let me sit inside the S550 and tinker with the iDrive thingie (its also an MB dealer). I have to say, the iDrive (i'm not sure what MB calls it exactly) is MUCH MUCH MUCH more intuitive than the BMW system. I've tinkered with the BMW system on 3 occasions, and walked away very frustrated and p'ed off. Within 60-90 seconds, I had figured out the MB system on my own.
I'll still take a touch screen with a 5-second learning curve thank you very much.
Old 03-23-06, 02:32 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I'll still take a touch screen with a 5-second learning curve thank you very much.
But then you get a dirty screen.
Old 03-23-06, 02:37 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
But then you get a dirty screen.
I wear white gloves when driving. But seriously, just keep an interior wipe handy or something. The convenience of easier input far outweighs the inconvenience of having to clean the screen occasionally IMO, particularly when you're in a hurry to get somewhere you aren't familiar with.

I've tried those joysticks to enter alphabets to spell out street names, and trust me it was not fun.
Old 03-23-06, 03:05 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I wear white gloves when driving. But seriously, just keep an interior wipe handy or something. The convenience of easier input far outweighs the inconvenience of having to clean the screen occasionally IMO, particularly when you're in a hurry to get somewhere you aren't familiar with.

I've tried those joysticks to enter alphabets to spell out street names, and trust me it was not fun.
Oh well! You get used to it over time. It's like using a keyboard versus using voice command. You get used to it, and it gets easier and easier.
Old 04-02-06, 07:06 PM
LexFather

Well after seeing 4 this weekend, all with some crappy rims, this is my new conclusion.
1. Looks good in person in dark colors.
2. The wheel arches just look to trendy and SUVish
3. The rear is nice straight on, the body color between the tailamps is different.
4. The front end is dynamic.
5. 2 friends commented "looks like a CLS".

Old 04-13-06, 01:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Sorry for bumping this some what old thread, but I came across this pic and besides the interior being a blatant copy of the 7-series this ambient lighting really is awsome!!!

Quick Reply: I just saw a new S550.....(official new S-class thread - update pg. 10)