Build Threads Details on Club Lexus RC-F owner vehicles

Mingofish Atlanta RCF build

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 09:22 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks so good! I was planning to do something similar to the black outer lip

Last edited by Lammyyy; 11-07-18 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mingofish (11-12-18)
Old 11-12-18, 10:25 AM
JBooGieRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey what % tint do you have on your tails? And I noticed you took your headlight tint off...did it mess your light output?
Old 11-13-18, 06:10 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

JBoo
I'm not sure what the % is. I got it from vivid vinyl. They offer like 3 shades. It’s the middle one.
My front tint was removed when I got the xpel put on. I just never bothered to re-tint.
Just FYI it did cut down light output but not real bad.
Old 11-25-18, 04:41 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Well. Few goodies installed yesterday.
Super pro motor mounts and a custom set of solid metal lower control arm bushings.

Wow! Those motor mounts sure are tight. I feel every bump and vibration now.
This isn’t my DD so it’s nbd. Street cars would totally be no good with this mod.
Can’t wait to see how they perform on track and how it effects throttle response.

I was getting, IMO, excessive inner tire wear on the track.
The solid metal control arm bushings were Mike Fig’s recommendation to eliminate front end toe movement under extreme braking.
Had the RR ones, but suspect the urethane still flexed some.
I realize some of the tire wear is due to my high camber, but not all. Let’s see if these bushings make a difference and save me from buying tires.
Will update more next year. Only 2 track days left for the year so I prob won’t be able to tell.

Last edited by Mingofish; 11-25-18 at 08:37 PM.
JT2MA71 (12-05-18)
Old 11-25-18, 05:18 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure what’s up with the pic upload deal. Couldn’t attach on previous post...

Last edited by Mingofish; 11-25-18 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 05:28 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Old 11-25-18, 08:59 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Is it not a good idea to go with the super pro engine mounts for a DD then? I would have thought the solid metal LCA would be the culprit contributing most if not all of the vibration.

Since you're selling your RR penske's what new suspension set up are you going with?
Great build thread. Thanks for keeping us updated with your build.
Old 11-26-18, 05:05 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

So here’s my thoughts since both things went on the car at once.

The solid lca obviously will transfer more road surface vibration, but the car seat literally buzz like I’m sitting on a massage chair when the car is at idle, so all that motion is from the motor not being isolated by rubber mounts.

You'll have to wait to see the top secret coilovers. Stay tuned. Haha.
konichiwa3 (11-27-18)
Old 12-04-18, 08:51 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

ILX series Öhlins. Man these things were so pretty! almost looked too good to install and use.

Fronts installed. Clearance to knuckle seems super tight but I’ve already tracked the car. No issues.

The rears during installation.

Last edited by Mingofish; 12-05-18 at 05:08 AM.
SoSlow (12-05-18)
Old 12-04-18, 09:21 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

So I wanted to say that Mike from Figs was totally awesome to work with. Super responsive and delivered what I requested in a very reasonable time frame. Super happy.
The shocks came from ohlins preordered with valve specs by Figs, but the rest were custom made, such as the hats, upper mounts, spacers, etc. The machining & such was top notch, all of it cut from billet and stainless.
There were a tiny hiccup with some hardware that didn’t fit (control arm bolts were too short) but Figs resolved that quickly.

First test drive after install and I already knew the car was riding better on the street compare to penskes.
The penskes were decent on the track but on the street, they were jittery (high spring rate) and a bit noisy for my taste.
These Öhlins doesn’t have any rubber, just like penskes, but they don’t ping or make that knocking sound in the rears.
Mike told me it was the way the pillow ball is mounted (laterally vs radially). Engineer jargon... I’m just glad no noise!

Last Friday was first chance on track with them at Road Atlanta. The initial session out I had them at neutral 12 in both compression & rebound. Both up and down have 24 clicks so 12 is dead center in the adjustment.
Car definitely felt softer (at 12) compare to the penskes but funny enough, the car “set” well and held the line even though car felt like it had more roll. Mike commented that the spring rates he choose was softer than the penskes and that was intentional. I will have to relearn the feel of the car a bit. Softer but still able to hold corner speed is best of both worlds imo.

I made an adjustment (raised compression and rebound 2 click) and ran two more sessions. Car felt tighter as far as not squatting & pitching but the higher compression was worst dealing with track curbs as the car unloaded some. Will have to lower the compression and get more runs in to tweak some more.

Overall a great first day and I’m super stoked about these shocks.

Last edited by Mingofish; 12-05-18 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 09:38 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

So for any hardcore track guys out there. These solid lca bearings are a must!!
They took away about 50+% of the steering wheel torque under extreme heavy braking compare to before with the RR urethane ones. Big difference!
Way more road feel as well. They directly transfer the road surface info so you can tell what’s happening underneath the car.
To me, this was the biggest bang for the buck as far as all my track mods to date.

Last edited by Mingofish; 12-05-18 at 05:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mingofish:
JT2MA71 (12-05-18), konichiwa3 (12-10-18)
Old 12-05-18, 06:37 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,513 Likes on 656 Posts

Congrats on the new OHLINS! How do you adjust the ride height? Is the shock body length adjustable? Looks like you just switch out the bottom ball ends to adjust?
Old 12-05-18, 09:03 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Congrats on the new OHLINS! How do you adjust the ride height? Is the shock body length adjustable? Looks like you just switch out the bottom ball ends to adjust?
Thanks Ron! you’re the OG ohlins guy!

The body is threaded just like a typical coilover.
JT2MA71 (12-06-18)
Old 12-08-18, 06:46 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish
So here’s my thoughts since both things went on the car at once.

The solid lca obviously will transfer more road surface vibration, but the car seat literally buzz like I’m sitting on a massage chair when the car is at idle, so all that motion is from the motor not being isolated by rubber mounts.

You'll have to wait to see the top secret coilovers. Stay tuned. Haha.
Haha I knew your top secret coilovers were going to be the ohlins ILX 👌. I was already planning to switch to this from Penskes next season. Thanks for your write-up on the ohlins. If good enough for Lexus GT3 on IMSA racing then good enough for us. 😁
Old 12-14-18, 02:56 AM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Ming car looks great as always. Just wanted to say thanks for keeping such a detailed build thread. I've used a ton of the info for my own car as i'm sure others have. Keep it up man!
Mingofish (12-14-18)

Quick Reply: Mingofish Atlanta RCF build